Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Why don't apple give us the users the ability to use the products how we want?

My ultra watch auto updated to OS 10 last night and I'm deeply disappointed. I don't like how I can't access night mode via the crown, I don't like the widgets and in their infinite wisdom they've now made it so that you can access it in three ways, i.e. rotating the crown, swiping up from the bottom of the screen and swiping down from the apps screen. So they've given me a function I don't want,.... three times, and in the meantime taken away a function I do want.

I also don't like that from the apps screen it's too easy to activate widgets, and I prefer the old apps screen where you're favourite apps are central and then you can scroll around. I also don't like that there's no quick access (that I've found) to fully closing apps. Lastly, a very minor point, I don't like the way the timer now displays when on the watch face corner.

Now I know there's going to be people that prefer the new functionality, but that brings me back to my initial question at the top, why don't apple give us the choice? These are not cheap products, if they're going to make changes at least give us the option to change it if we don't like them.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

My ultra watch auto updated to OS 10 last night and I'm deeply disappointed. I don't like how I can't access night mode via the crown, I don't like the widgets and in their infinite wisdom they've now made it so that you can access it in three ways, i.e. rotating the crown, swiping up from the bottom of the screen and swiping down from the apps screen. So they've given me a function I don't want,.... three times, and in the meantime taken away a function I do want.

I also don't like that from the apps screen it's too easy to activate widgets, and I prefer the old apps screen where you're favourite apps are central and then you can scroll around. I also don't like that there's no quick access (that I've found) to fully closing apps. Lastly, a very minor point, I don't like the way the timer now displays when on the watch face corner.

Now I know there's going to be people that prefer the new functionality, but that brings me back to my initial question at the top, why don't apple give us the choice? These are not cheap products, if they're going to make changes at least give us the option to change it if we don't like them.

You can turn off auto-update on the Watch app on the phone.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I'm glad I haven't and I wish (for everyone else) that Apple allowed us to downgrade Watch OS versions. I'm sure they'll sort it out soon enough though.
Hopefully they will, just having you access the widgets (I think they call it smart stack) is enough, then it frees up the crown to toggle night mode on/off for the ultra. To manually toggle it now is a pain, having to go into the screen edit to do so :rolleyes:

Reactions: Reggaenald

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
I feel your pain. My watch is significantly less useful now as well. I've had to consolidate the three watch faces that I used to use into one, and had to turn off night mode entirely since it just randomly activates when on auto.

Plus both cellular and bluetooth are significantly degraded from before.

And it started kicking me out of my paddling workouts to ask if I want to go swimming instead.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
For me it's why don't they give us (more) choices for how our watch faces look? None of them are exactly what I want.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Just Apple hiring chimpanzees to make UX decisions again.

I could write an entire list here about things that used to be good, simple, and functional and were blatantly changed to be worse in every way.

The Apple we all fell in love with is long gone.

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
Just Apple hiring chimpanzees to make UX decisions again.

I could write an entire list here about things that used to be good, simple, and functional and were blatantly changed to be worse in every way.

The Apple we all fell in love with is long gone.
This is just another avenue of Apples investment stream. Let me explain;

Apple recently invested heavily in banana production/growth and supply chain unification. Yes, unification. You will find out why in a second. keep reading.

After this heavy investment, Apple needed the prices of bananas to go up for the investment to pay off in dividends.

They decided to hire chimpanzees, as you stated, and entered into a contract to pay these chimpanzees in bananas. At the same time the unification of the supply chain caused a bottle neck for the transportation and a substantial increase in the banana prices. However, the production cost remained the same.

So while its costing Apple a little more to buy the bananas at the sale point and pay their new employees, they are making a killing on the back end due to the increased prices of bananas for everyone else.

They are sooo smart.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
I feel your pain. My watch is significantly less useful now as well. I've had to consolidate the three watch faces that I used to use into one, and had to turn off night mode entirely since it just randomly activates when on auto.

Plus both cellular and bluetooth are significantly degraded from before.

And it started kicking me out of my paddling workouts to ask if I want to go swimming instead.
Totally agree. Apple seems to have changed the functionality of all the buttons to make everything less useful in watchOS 10. I used to be able to use the side button to access frequently/recently used apps. Where is that option now? Now I have to click on the crown, scroll to Apps to find them. Absolute worst rubbish of an update— they seem to be changing things for the sake of changing them. Hopefully, all the Apple execs will figure this out when they can’t get their watches to work.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
Are you using the feedback app to make your grievances known?

You might say they’re not looking at that anyway, but I’ve experienced several issues I had across devices actually being fixed because enough people sent feedback on the same issue.

So now I report everything that’s not working as expected :D

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Are you using the feedback app to make your grievances known?

You might say they’re not looking at that anyway, but I’ve experienced several issues I had across devices actually being fixed because enough people sent feedback on the same issue.

So now I report everything that’s not working as expected :D
I always give feedback to them too.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014

I'm just a bit confused. "Accessing night mode from the crown" -- what are the use cases for that exactly? Like, I'm just curious. Was this something you actually used? Or ever needed to use that quickly? Its not THAT hard to turn on in watchOS 10

Reactions: missingar

ShiftHappens

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2022
Out of interest, what were you doing with your watch before that you can't do now, or that you struggle with now?
One of the features I use the most is to check the weather forecast for today as my kids are leaving for school to make sure they have the right equipment. In 10, it feels like you need a PhD and a very tenacious tapping finger to make use of the weather app...

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
One of the features I use the most is to check the weather forecast for today as my kids are leaving for school to make sure they have the right equipment. In 10, it feels like you need a PhD and a very tenacious tapping finger to make use of the weather app...
I actually quite like the weather apps new screen with current weather and all data in one go - what I don't like, is the OS think that if I press a temperature complication, I want to look at only temperature - What the f*? I never want to look at only temperature! I run every day, so for me it's always a matter of what to wear and when to run - with the new app it thinks I never really want to look at that

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I'm just a bit confused. "Accessing night mode from the crown" -- what are the use cases for that exactly? Like, I'm just curious. Was this something you actually used? Or ever needed to use that quickly? Its not THAT hard to turn on in watchOS 10
Clearly I did yeah ;) No it's not THAT hard to do now, but updates are supposed to make things more convenient and intuitive and it's done the complete opposite in this regard. I also don't get why you'd replace it with a feature that you can also access another way with just one action.

They clearly want you to use the smart stack and widgets, which for me is a complete waste of time, I've got 7 complications on my main screen what do I need to access the smart stack for. Also it's not that smart, you can't even arrange the list of widgets how you want to. Yes you can pin ones so they're at the top, but you still can't arrange them.
Yep that's my gripe too. I check the conditions, temp and chance of rain, I don't want to have to cycle through all the other options to get back to temp. There is the menu option to go directly to the function you want but again it's just another step that wasn't there before
Double press crown and then swipe left on the app you want to close
Thanks for this, that's one less gripe for OS 10 😉

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.