Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkingsheltie

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
Thousand Oaks
Yes, I stopped my FitBit HR this year when I got my Apple Watch Series 1. Love it!

Interesting..I switched from Apple Watch series 1, to Charge 2 HR.
1. It was annoying that the Apple Watch wouldn't automatically recognize movement aggressive enough to track as exercise. The Fitbit does...
I can see for dedicated athlete, this is no biggie..simply turn Fitbit on. Im older, 56, and while I still cycle, lately been trying to move more, as Im an office worker. These walking metrics are important, at least in order to gage how successful monitoring such activity could be.

2. Battery life.
Again, annoying to charge every day. If the Apple watch could last two days, that would be great.

3. Fitbit app.
Much better, in terms of practical application, than watch app. For me. This is obviously subjective area.

4. Features.
Clearly Apple watch wins here..but after using, my impression is the watch screen is really to small to offer real convenience over phone. Two, being so tethered - do i need to know every text coming in, news flash? Im in tech, physicist, but now appreciating the solitude to standing away from these devices from time to time.

5. I have navigation in car, so the communication from phone to watch via vibration isn't necessary. I can see where this would be useful. But with CarPlay increasing in adaption, this feature would seem to be of diminishing returns.

6. Fashion.
Absolutely love the Apple Watch over the fitbit. But then, days of wearing a watch everyday are less compelling, so I don't miss this.

So color me surprised with Apple's gains, and Fitbit's decline.
Just one opinion.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I'm a person that buys things more based on do I truly need it. I've never bought a tablet because to me it's just a bigger smartphone with less functionality and I have a macbook which I find portable enough for my needs and less clumsy. I'm not a big fan of wearing a watch but apple watch does seem to have a lot of functionality. If the iphone 8 is game changing (hoping ios user interface improvements as well) I might go full force back into Apple with an iphone and apple watch. Running without a smartphone tethered to wired earphones vs just an apple watch and BT earphones just sounds like a nice luxury.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I'm looking forward to going from Series 0 to Series 3. I get a lot of value out of Series 0. But I suspect the jump to Series 3 is going to be very significant to me.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If you like smart watches, there is no better solution than the Apple Watch. Excellent intergration in the apple eco system

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
The lower entry price point and the inclusion of GPS on the Series 2 ... Apple is one of the few companies that has been able to quickly refocus its watch to gain traction in the consumer market and has also been leading the charge on introducing the smartwatch category to the commercial segment.

Well, it makes sense... you lower the cost, add technology, and increase functionality, heck, even I might be tempted to leave my beloved Garmin behind. Haha, just kidding... I wouldn't dare wear an AW on an obstacle course race.

My Fenix 3 takes a beating and keeps on ticking!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like fitbit, my wife loves hers, but the Apple Watch is more functional, and so instead of just a step counter, the AW provides a lot of different features.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
Given the actual numbers I'd say the smartwatch concept is still a bubble. I have had my Series 2 since September and kind of wish I could go back in time and unbuy. It's fine for what it is but it's a solution in search of real problems. It's chunky, Siri is annoyingly implemented, and I haven't found much about it that I can't do somewhere else. I've mostly kept it for the health stuff and the fact I bought it. But it's probably my last.

I'll be interested to see if the sales trends continue to go down. Will the majority of people who buy any smartwatch buy another one when the time comes? That is the real indicator that smartwatches aren't a fad/bubble.

Reading your post made me think the watch is a jack of all trades and master of none. I wonder if there ever be a watch specific killer feature.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
They would also need to match on battery. Higher end athletic watches don't care so much about the display, as they don't really need to, their user base probably wants nice things but discrete controls and battery life are areas that don't lend themselves to compromise and at this point, don't share a common intersection with the Apple Watch. The market is probably more niche than what Apple is shooing for with the watch. Apple may lose a little with higher end fitness watches that overlap in features just enough with the Apple Watch but I don't think it's enough to deter future growth in any kind of a meaningful way.

Also, weight, some Polars, Garmins, etc. are heavy but I don't think any are as heavy as a SS Apple Watch (not 100% off the top of my head).

I think the Apple Watch is great for weekend warrior types, and probably has more use cases than I can think of with fitness but for my needs it's not quite there yet. I'm not sure it ever will be with a touch screen, a dial and one button. The screen isn't great and sweaty fingers don't make for a good experience.

Personally, I compared some Garmin watches and opted for the Apple Watch at release, I ended up augmenting my wearables a few times over since then, still with the same Apple Watch tough. I tried to use it for activity tracking but initially it was a nightmare, the apps were all not finished and it was easier to just launch the Nike App on the phone and go. As I progressed in my training and needs, I ended up with a Polar M400 (before series 2), a separate heart rate strap, a running metrics sensor, and an iPod shuffle - that all do what I want better than what I can from the Apple Watch (and cheaper at the time). I have tried it a few times since then (it's been awhile!) but it's never quite been as easy as the other stuff.

If they ever released a different version with real controls, some type of better screen, lighter, longer battery life, apps that can run on the watch and connect to 3rd party sensors (cycling speed/cadence, running pods, lumo run and/or garmin HRM-Tri strap, etc.) I'd absolutely consider it, for now though the other options have had years of refinement in their interfaces, a pretty dedicated user base and are expanding on meaningful features for their users - things I think Apple does as well but for a different set of use cases. That being said, I love the health app, I view the watch as more of an extension of that, which it excels at and has helped me plenty. The health app is the perfect nexus for all of this stuff and it's amazing. I've got a bluetooth scale, thermometer, blood pressure meter, sleep tracker, apple watch and fitness heart rate tracking and having it all rolled up in once place is incredible - I think that's the real gold here as this all progresses.

Apple needs to decide if they want to fragment the abilities of the watch as they have done with the iPhone. In reality theres 3 phones that sever 3 different needs -- those who want a small (or cheaper), more portable iPhone experience. Those who want the standard Smartphone experience with greater features with the compromise of increased size, and those who want the very best hardware, especially a camera, and/or a large display.

I see the watch coming into its own when they add LTE to it. That way, I can leave my iPhone at home in many cases. Moreover, this ridiculous argument that a smart watch can only be square to get the greatest utility out of it, actually then matters, since the watch will be the primary interface for people who are not carrying their iPhone. At first those can only be 42mm models until the technology can be miniaturized enough to offer it in a smaller package, just like the iPhones. Then a middle tier without LTE, which might even branch out into other styles, perhaps round, since the watch will still rely on the iPhone, and not as great a need to for extensive lists of information. Then the cheap model which has the fewest features and doesn't have the latest options. They're already kind of creating two classes of watch already, so I could easily see them following the iPhone model and further diversify the offerings. Maybe the cheapest model has its emphasis on fitness, but fewer business features, etc.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Just wait until people realize that these watches last 3 years, not 50 years like other watches

Well you realize by then we'll probably buy the latest model with modern features... because that's how technology works these days.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
I regret buying my apple watch. I bought it mainly to listen to music while runnng and I can't sync more then one playlist to the stupid thing. pathetic.

ILikeCoffee7

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2017
I love my Apple Watch, i use it everyday for running and general health and fitness. It's also great when using Apple Pay and getting txt alerts. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the Apple Watch series 3, since I'm on the first generation I will probably upgrade. The only thing I'm critical of is the battery life, I think it could be a lot better especially for exercising which makes it drain quicker.

I agree with everything you said here :)

Reactions: Dave245

Larry The L

Suspended
Jun 9, 2016
Just wait until people realize that these watches last 3 years, not 50 years like other watches

Truly one of the most bizarre and absurd fake facts I've ever heard. How to people come up with this kind of nonsense and then find the hutzpah to post it? I think someone's life must be very empty and unfulfilled to come up with this. Sad, really.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I finally bought my first Apple Watch, a Series 2 this fall (I'd been interested since the first watch was released), mostly because I could easily afford to buy one to play with and finally satisfy my curiosity. I like the concept but after owning it for 6 months, I don't think it's a good value for those on a limited budget at this point. When friends and acquaintances with limited funds ask me about it, I tell them to wait for a future iteration where it will hopefully gain more features and usefulness. I chose the 38mm because the 42mm did not fit my small wrist and its battery life is poor IMO, just making it through the day with light use. The fact the watch doesn't function independently of my phone also makes it redundant for me, as I still have to carry my phone with me everywhere and it already offers navigation, Apple Pay, etc. The fitness features are good but everything else doesn't work as well as my phone, which I still have to carry with me. Also, I am careful with my possessions but I have scratched the heck out of my watch screen despite best efforts to be careful when wearing it. I understand the stainless model sports stronger sapphire glass but I find the sport model expensive at $369 and would think it ludicrous to spend more for what the watch is offering functionally at this point. That being said, I bought the 42mm Nike Sport edition for my husband for his birthday this in November, despite his protests beforehand that he didn't really need it and had long ago given up wearing a watch. He has enjoyed the gift and wears it every day. So maybe he had lower expectations or it's just that his battery life is so much better!

I am still hoping for great advances in the technology so they can improve the watch in future iterations both aesthetically and functionally. Hopefully it will become a really great product that I can enthusiastically recommend to my friends and family.

Reactions: nwcs

Larry The L

Suspended
Jun 9, 2016
I regret buying my apple watch. I bought it mainly to listen to music while runnng and I can't sync more then one playlist to the stupid thing. pathetic.
To bad you didn't investigate it's capabilities before your purchase. You have no one to blame but yourself. It's so sad that so many would rather come up with bizarre excuses that blame themselves. Very bad.

Reactions: MLVC and AdonisSMU

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Depends what you want - a smart watch or a dedicated health band, which doubles up as a watch and often receives notification from your phone. Together with a quite a price difference between the AppleWatch and 'health band'.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Well, many of those other watches do cost more than the AW. Considering I get more utility from the AW than a standard branded watch, the AW provides better value for me.
That's my feeling. Plus I like the way it looks.

Reactions: MLVC

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Very much agreed.
[doublepost=1488481183][/doublepost]

Macrumors along with other sites reporting this are being intellectually dishonest with their headlines. The headlines state Q416, but the numbers for the whole year show a very different picture. Technically they are right, but intellectually dishonest.

Technically, I don't believe Apple has ever released Apple Watch sales figures, so this is all made up in any event.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
To bad you didn't investigate it's capabilities before your purchase. You have no one to blame but yourself. It's so sad that so many would rather come up with bizarre excuses that blame themselves. Very bad.
This is a tiny software fix for apple. Who would think in 2017 that a device for music would only support one playlist?! The iPod of 10 years ago supported multiple playlists.

I know you are pointing fun at me for the sake of it. All consumers are within their rights to point out product flaws... have you never watched YouTube? Do you disagree with all videos saying bad things about products!?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
This is a bizarre excuse IMO. Did you really think a watch would be loaded up with 128GB of storage like a phone?

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Nice to see the fashion item marketing failed. Now time to drop the price and sell more.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Recovering from an injury, I've been trying to be more mindful of my activity levels, and was looking at getting a dedicated fitness tracker to keep me engaged. I'd considered an Apple Watch, but personally I'm leaning more towards a Fitbit Charge 2.

1) I just don't care about notifications. I already have too many devices buzzing to let me know when I get a text message. I don't need another. I'll even disable whatever features the Fitbit offers in that department.

2) I also don't need another 1-day battery life device to keep charged.

3) I'm not looking for wrist fashion, so the extra price isn't worth it for me.

4) The biggie: I used to view apple's ecosystem as a plus, but I'm getting increasingly disillusioned with it. My iPhone 6 has been a buggy disappointment the entire 2.5 years I've owned it. It became corrupted and needed restoring last night, and while you can say its my own fault for not backing up, I don't want to pay a subscription for iCloud or have to back up manually at a time when iPhones and apple laptops don't even connect without a sold-separately accessory, and apple claims an iPad should be all the computer people need. Anyway, all my apple health data from the phone's sensors was lost, but the Fitbit app I'd started playing around with was automatically stored in the cloud at no cost and its data was easily recoverable.

In general I'm super hesitant to buy any more Apple products that require other Apple products to work, because I'm not all that sure I want to be that tied to Apple anymore.

Reactions: barkingsheltie

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
It would be nice if the apple watch when in nightstand mode didn't go to 100% brightness when I press snooze!
[doublepost=1488484932][/doublepost]
This is a bizarre excuse IMO. Did you really think a watch would be loaded up with 128GB of storage like a phone?
No, I expected to be able to use the 2GB for music anyway I want. Why allow 2GB for music and then limit it to one massive playlist?!

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
If only...Microsoft Moonraker

microsoftmoonraker1.0.jpg

Things would have been different with AW domination. Be interesting to see if they come back at this concept. Nokia design. I would wear this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.