Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Withe the last two resets, a new build has been out later that day, but with the day winding down, I'm afraid we may end up having to wait til a final release. Its sad how accustomed I've grown to it, it sucks not having it.

Me too miss not having it.

I tried it again on a machine with a small iTunes library and it was the same. I think my thinking it was a different error message and could be corrected server-side was wishful thinking. Looks like we need an iTunes update like before.

Michael

gigapower

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2003
Tulsa, OK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Two quick questions:

1a) are song purchases that you made previously via iTunes also converted to DRM-free High-Quality matches?

1b) what about music videos, how are they treated?

2) how long should you expect it to take to download a matched iTunes library that's around 20 gigs in size? Assuming you're using a decent and steady DSL connection?
1a - Yes
2 - It's the same speed as downloading songs from iTMS, so I can usually get an album in about 1-2 minutes.

Me too miss not having it.

I tried it again on a machine with a small iTunes library and it was the same. I think my thinking it was a different error message and could be corrected server-side was wishful thinking. Looks like we need an iTunes update like before.

Michael
I miss it too, especially on my iPhone. Hurry up launch.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
So let me get this straight, I will have to pay $25 more a year to be able to listen to high quality DRM free music that I already purchased? :rolleyes: What a scam. No thanks, I think I will continue to store all my music for free on my time machine backup and let wifi sync keep everything up to date.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
So let me get this straight, I will have to pay $25 more a year to be able to listen to high quality DRM free music that I already purchased? :rolleyes: What a scam.
Scam? Wow.

If you never leave your home and only listen to music from your iTunes library, a library that is all DRM free with perfect meta data, then why would you even be looking at iTunes Match? I don't usually see many blind people shopping at auto dealerships either but they are not calling automobiles a big scam. <shrug>

Michael

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
So let me get this straight, I will have to pay $25 more a year to be able to listen to high quality DRM free music that I already purchased? :rolleyes: What a scam. No thanks, I think I will continue to store all my music for free on my time machine backup and let wifi sync keep everything up to date.

OK. Thanks for clearing that up for us. We were all concerned about whether you were going to use it or not. Good of you to let us know

Last edited:

frankjl

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
OMG! I been using the beta since it first came out.

Im going cold turkey lol.

Hurry apple. My iPad needs my music library.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Scam? Wow.

If you never leave your home and only listen to music from your iTunes library, a library that is all DRM free with perfect meta data, then why would you even be looking at iTunes Match? I don't usually see many blind people shopping at auto dealerships either but they are not calling automobiles a big scam. <shrug>

Michael
When I buy the music, it should be high quality to begin with. Not the crappy quality that you currently get through iTunes. Again, I have to pay an extra $25 for high quality through the cloud, but don't get that with the initial purchase? Or is the so called high quality through the cloud the same as the so called high quality of iTunes itself? If it is, then there is no such thing as high quality music through iTunes or the iCloud. And no i don't NEED to be home to listen to my music from my iTunes library.

Last edited:

Starhawk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
When I buy the music, it should be high quality to begin with. Not the crappy quality that you currently get through iTunes. Again, I have to pay an extra $25 for high quality through the cloud, but don't get that with the initial purchase? Or is the so called high quality through the cloud the same as the so called high quality of iTunes itself? If it is, then there is no such thing as high quality music through iTunes or the iCloud. And no i don't NEED to be home to listen to my music from my iTunes library.

Save yourself the frustration. iTunes is not for you.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
the so called high quality through the cloud the same as the so called high quality of iTunes itself.

There you go, you answered your own question.

It only "upgrades" the old songs you have purchased that still have the old DRM on them. Same thing at iTunes Plus upgrades, just cheaper.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Save yourself the frustration. iTunes is not for you.

Exactly. That's why I buy SACD for the same price as the sub par iTunes albums or for that matter, Amazon and other downloaded music. Music for the masses = music for the fools.

Last edited:

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010

You do understand that the $25 is for the ability to store your music in the cloud don't you? The upgrading of the songs to 256 is just an incidental benefit.

If you dont want your music stored in the cloud or if 256 is not good enough for you then the service isn't one you should buy, but to describe cloud storage at a cost of 1cent for 10 tracks plus upgrading if necessary as a scam is just bizarre.

Last edited:

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
Exactly. That's why I buy SACD for the same price as the sub par iTunes albums or for that matter, Amazon and other downloaded music. Music for the masses = music for the fools.

If you are *such* an audiophile that you connect a $6000 Antelope Master Clock to your digital setup to eliminate most jitter and enjoy pristine music.. why in the world are you even talking about iTunes or digital downloads for that matter? :confused:

"Music should be high quality to begin with" Really? When mp3s first came out in the mid 90s, do you think everyone downloading them was complaining about the quality and comparing it to cd/vinyl? No. They were just excited that they could store that music onto their hard drives and play it without having to change cds, etc.

Are you going to complain next that the dvd you bought at Best Buy should have been Blu-Ray from the start? iTunes match is giving everyone a great choice to upgrade from their original 'low quality' purchase to a higher quality one. People these days find a reason to bash everything, go figure..

boombashi

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2005

You don't have it straight...you don't need to pay for iTunes Match to do what you are saying. You already have access to previously purchased DRM free music that you have purchased through iTunes without iTunes Match. And it IS FREE.

iTunes Match it for music you ripped from CDs or bought from other music services, or acquired from other means...

From Apple's Web site.

Your past purchases. Available on all your devices.
Now you can download music and TV shows you’ve previously purchased to all your devices. When you buy from iTunes, iCloud stores your purchase history. So you can see what you’ve bought — no matter which device you bought it on. You can access your purchase history from the iTunes Store on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC, or Apple TV. And since you already own the songs, albums, or TV shows in your purchase history, you can tap to download them to any of your devices.1

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So let me get this straight, I will have to pay $25 more a year to be able to listen to high quality DRM free music that I already purchased?

Nope, you're mistaken. Glad I could clear that up for it.

Or is the so called high quality through the cloud the same as the so called high quality of iTunes itself?

The info about exactly what format the Match files are in is easily available. Is it that hard for you to figure out?

You can get any song you want as an SACD single now for $.69 - $1.29? That's pretty cool. (sarcasm)

mceolsen

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
Oct 31st

So, end of October is today! Does that mean Match will be up and running?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
And if not, when was the last time Apple missed one of their announced deadlines?

krisarmstrong

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
iTunes Macth? Where is it?

Withe the last two resets, a new build has been out later that day, but with the day winding down, I'm afraid we may end up having to wait til a final release. Its sad how accustomed I've grown to it, it sucks not having it.

Well today was the last day of October and no iTunes match at least as of yet? Looks as though they missed it.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I certainly hope so, I'm like a junkie with no fix over here, I miss having all my music on-demand without the storage chunk it entails.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I was hoping today would be the day... been checking since this morning.

Fingers crossed that they make it but looking like they won't.

Michael

libmanj

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
I was hoping today would be the day... been checking since this morning.

Fingers crossed that they make it but looking like they won't.

Michael

It feels weird to say this, but I doubt they would have missed the announced late October release of iTunes Match if Steve were still running the show.

Starhawk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
It feels weird to say this, but I doubt they would have missed the announced late October release of iTunes Match if Steve were still running the show.

Nah, things happen. People will be saying this every time Apple misses on something.

You know if Steve had passed a few years ago, everyone would be saying, "Antennagate would have never happened if Steve were still running the show", "Final Cut Pro would have never been released like this if Steve were still running the show" etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.