Apple Withholds Republican Convention Donations Over Trump Politics

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jun 18, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has informed Republican leaders it will not be supporting the party's 2016 presidential convention in Cleveland next month, according to sources who spoke to Politico today.

The decision is reportedly due to comments made by presumptive nominee Donald Trump which the company takes issue with, in particular his controversial positions on the subjects of minorities, women, and immigrants.

Apple has traditionally donated technology and cash to both Republican and Democratic conventions, although no funding was provided to the 2012 Democratic event after the party decided against taking corporate donations.

It's still unclear whether Apple plans to donate to the upcoming Democratic convention in Philadelphia this summer.

Facebook, Google, and Microsoft have all said they will provide some support to this year's GOP event, despite general reservations within the tech industry about where the party is headed under Trump's candidacy.

Back in March, Apple CEO Tim Cook attended the American Enterprise Institute's annual World Forum, where conversation among tech leaders and Republican representatives kept returning to the topic of the GOP candidate's emergence on the political scene. Sources familiar with the event said that the meeting centered more around how and why Trump had attracted support, rather than how to stop him.

Trump has previously singled out Apple for its encryption stance and its refusal to help the FBI unlock the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone, and at one point suggested people should boycott the company's products unless it complied with the federal agency's demands.

It was later revealed that Trump had tweeted the comment using an iPhone.

No indication was given by the two sources Politico spoke to that Trump's criticism of Apple was behind its decision to withhold support for the Republican event.

Apple will not be alone in its refusal to help with GOP convention efforts. Earlier this month, HP announced it would not provide funding, after coming under pressure from activists at ColorofChange.org.

"We want them to divest from hate; we want them to pull all their money and support," said Mary Alice, field director for Free Press Action Fund, which is part of the anti-Trump campaign. Tech companies backing the convention need to be "thinking hard about where they put their brand, and whether they want to align their brand with racism, hatred and misogyny," she told Politico.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Withholds Republican Convention Donations Over Trump Politics

2. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    I'm not sure I'm comfortable with big companies giving free stuff and money to any political party's convention.

3. sza, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016

sza macrumors 6502

Tim, can you please stop messing with the political **** and release the upgraded Mac Pro?

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

More social conditioning from the liberal left wing political agenda.

Why don't any conservatives have any socially influential technology empires and entertainment monopolies?

I guess they want to turn off half the world to buying their products.

The attempt at social brainwashing doesnt fool me and it strikes me as unprofessional from a tech company. They have lost a lot of my respect due to inappropriate political agendas.

5. cube macrumors G5

Funding both parties, really.

Like Murdoch both for and "against" Brexit.

6. MyMacintosh, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

No, your candidate is just dog ****. Even people on the right can see that.

8. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Apparently Apple's commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect for people ends when they don't like your politics... Good to know.... smh...

9. Exponent, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016

Exponent macrumors regular

Look Cook, you want to be a politician, leave Apple and be a politician - focus on it. You want to be a CEO of a company dependent on innovation, then be a CEO - focus on it.

Right now you're making a mess of the latter to try to be the former.

And as for Trump, he's simply proposing that the number one job of the U.S. President is to look after the interests of the U.S. Citizen - be it in employment at the low-end (illegal immigration), the middle-class (H1-B visas), security in the border regions (illegal immigrants), or security from those groups that _consistently_ look to kill Americans (Radical Islamic Terrorists).

10. cube macrumors G5

More specifically, between EU and illegal immigration.

11. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Apple never donated to Adolf Hitler when he was up for Chancellor of Germany either. So it's no surprise they also withhold from Trump.

12. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

But if you fund the democratic convention you're aligning yourself with rape and victim shaming so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Thats just your opinion. Half the country doesnt agree with you.

You and other business and people in general should respect that fact.

14. bushido Suspended

bushido

can you guys not just vote already? its redic how long its going on let alone how much money gets wasted on a election in the US. Companies shouldnt be allowed to "donate" money to either party in the first place

15. APlotdevice, Jun 18, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

When it comes to Trump, it's no longer just a political disagreement. The man is at best an ignorant bafoon.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Not much different from Hillary.
    It's their money. They can do with it as they see fit

17. cube macrumors G5

At least we will be able to move on from the Brexit referendum in a few days.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Corporations are people. Except when it comes to putting them in jail

19. APlotdevice, Jun 18, 2016

APlotdevice

20. Bobby Corwen, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2016

Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

One thing that both left and right wing people agree on is that this country USA is ****ed up!

Trump is the best and only possible chance we have to fix things and we need major changes. He's the only one aggressive and strong and bold enough to do something significant.

What is your problem?

Do you realize how cliche your attitude is? Its people like you who have disgusting outrage and overreaction that helped get him so much support anyway. Nobody takes over reactionary people like you serious.

Most of you come across as racist and anti-white.

21. jkcerda, Jun 18, 2016

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Trump is Oompa Loompa orange. Not white

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

This is Tim Cook's Apple. And I say this as someone who has #NeverTrump in my sig.

23. cube macrumors G5

Really, a billionaire filling the empty SCOTUS seat?

24. APlotdevice, Jun 18, 2016

APlotdevice

Anti-white? LMAO! Well, according to the white supremacists, as a Jew I cannot be white no matter how pale my skin... trust me, I could be mistaken for a Vampire if I didn't tan.... and if Trump is supposed to be the representative of white people, then **** whitey. :p