Apple Won't Debut Subscription Television Service at WWDC

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 1, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple does not plan to announce its streaming television subscription service at the Worldwide Developers Conference next week, reports Re/code, citing sources with knowledge of Apple's plans. Apple has informed television network executives that launch will be postponed because the company has not yet signed the necessary deals.
    According to industry executives, the television service may not launch until late 2015 or early 2016, as "technology and money issues" continue to be sticking points that have prevented negotiations from being completed. Apple's desire to provide consumers with local broadcast stations has also reportedly slowed down negotiations as securing all the necessary deals to show local programs and commercials takes a lot of time.

[​IMG]

Rumors have suggested that Apple's streaming television service will feature approximately 25 channels priced at $30 to $40 per month. It would be available over the Internet and would not require a cable subscription package.

While Apple does not plan to debut its streaming television service at the Worldwide Developers Conference next week, it is rumored to be introducing a new Apple TV set-top box with a full App Store that includes apps and games. It's also expected to introduce a new streaming music service, a revamped version of iTunes Radio, and OS X 10.11 and iOS 9.

Article Link: Apple Won't Debut Subscription Television Service at WWDC

2. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

3. JonneyGee macrumors 6502

JonneyGee

This comes as no surprise since it's a plan that seems to have been in the works for years now. Regardless, I hope it happens soon because I'm ready to cut the cord with cable!

4. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

*Sigh....* Again....

*Splices cut cable back together...*

5. Godzilla71 macrumors 6502a

Godzilla71

At this point, I'll just be happy if they introduce a new updated :apple:TV anything else that goes along with it will be a bonus.

6. bushido Suspended

bushido

so no Apple TV update this year ... oh well, i have since been updating to a Fire TV Stick

7. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

25 channels include:
    ID Network
    A&E
    Oxygen
    Oprah's Network

8. Godzilla71, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

Godzilla71 macrumors 6502a

Godzilla71

That is still planned or at least rumored

9. HobeSoundDarryl, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Too bad (if true). This was the rumored announcement in which I was (personally) most interested. Like Godzilla (above), I hope they will at least roll out an updated box with an app store or the API/SDK giving third parties a few weeks or months to build new apps. THAT seems like something that probably best fits what WWDC is about so if we don't see it at this one, I wonder if it would wait until next summer?

Personally, I think the app store innovation is more important than Apple's cut at a Basic Cable subscription package. Unleashing the third parties to make the little box great has much potential (FINALLY!!!)

10. thogin macrumors member

thogin

Apple needs to hurry this up so we can all complain about how overpriced it is.

11. critter13 macrumors 6502

first of all, helllllo new forum tech! Well hopefully they still open up the ATV os with an app store and sling can make an ATV app

EDIT: I just read the whole article.

12. Bilbo63 macrumors 6502

Disappointing yet I am not surprised. The networks have been fighting change for a long time. This sucks.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I don't live in the USA so I wouldn't have got it anyway. :D

14. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

15. MH01 Suspended

MH01

So very true. This could be a very boring WWDC for those of us outside of the U.S.

16. MH01 Suspended

MH01

is there any rappers or gansters they could sign to promote this service :)

17. rhp2424 macrumors regular

rhp2424

I completely agree with this sentiment. The app store seems like the big missing piece above anything else.

I have reached a point of numbness to this news that I am still waiting to see it before I believe it though.

18. newdeal macrumors 68020

I don't care about subscription tv. Netflix and antenna is good enough for me. However I am very excited about a new Apple tv if it is a hub for home automation (with reasonably priced hardware not $50 light bulbs)

19. Brucewaynnee macrumors newbie

20. liven2 macrumors regular

Oh bummer. Investors will not be happy about this. ;)

21. J.Dillinger macrumors member

I hope the next version of Apple TV allows me to centrally manager a queue or watchlist from the various video sources offered. It's painful having to click around to various channels who all have varying functionality. Some have watchlists, some don't.

22. freediverx macrumors 6502a

I have zero interest in this Apple TV service. I already get everything I need through HBO Now and the Apple TV channels I already have. Local news might be nice, but nothing to write home about.

What we all really want is a new Apple TV that delivers on features we've been waitings years for.

23. Nexramous macrumors newbie

Nexramous

Doesn’t surprise me at all. This delay is needed if the rumor of the 25 channel cable sub with a $30-$40 price tag is true. If they release something, I want it to earn the "Revolutionary" title and truly be an ala cart TV provider. Give me something that lets me hand pick channels from a roster of say 100 stations at $2-$3 a pop and then I will submit that you have "revolutionized" this industry. We would also find out real quick how many people watch or don’t watch channels and who has padded viewing stats.

24. 2010mini macrumors 68040

The TV service package can come later. What we want now is new hardware with revamped UI and SDK so developers can start making apps.

25. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

For once, it would be nice if they could have had concurrent negotiations for deals in other markets. That way, they potentially could have launched the service first in Europe (or just the UK) autumn 2015, and brought it to the USA later in 2015/16.