Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
Im basically going through the same issues too
Apple replaced logic board, but left case issues unchanged and made them worse.

I got transfered to level 2 tier customer support. He made a new case for me and shipped out the box which I got today but I also said I want to be compensated for the time ive lost, im receiving a free 16GB iPod nano.

If I were you, I would try hard to get something for all this time your wasting and possibly getting a new replacement computer for all your trouble. Dont give up and dont let level 2 try to push you around or the Customer relations people.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Well I guess I can consider myself lucky.

My 8600 got fried as well and so I sent it into an Authorized Apple Repair Center in my town and they fixed it free of charge under warranty (I only had like 30 days left! Eeek!) and they UPGRADED it from 2.2 to 2.6 GHz with 256 MB VRAM instead of 128 MB VRAM. I was totally pleased.

The only issue for me was yeah, my superdrive slot was bent downwards, as in it would bite down on CDs I would insert so I got a screw driver and pried it up and clicked it into the casing on top... still a minor gap but it's not as bad... and it was a little dirty/dusty from the shop but yeah, overall it wasn't too bad and I got a free upgrade :) I also proceeded to pick up AppleCare...... and THEN they released the thing about the 8600 cards... kinda sucks, seems like a waste but oh well! I have some peace at mind :)

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
The reason I asked for a nano for compensation was that I was in the market for one and well I needed this computer to be repaired this week because its the only week that I can be without it (spring break).

So I ship it out Friday, and surprisingly I get it back Tuesday. Im surprised such fast turn around time. I open her up and find a dent next to the IR receiver and the case issues are still there. The DVI connector is a little bit squished in a swell which makes it hard for me to put in the adapters. So I call Apple, immediately ask them to transfer me to a tier 2 customer agent. We discuss for a while what can be done and he agrees to make a second mail in repair and will have a senior technician do the job on my computer when she gets sent in. During this time I tell him I want to be compensated for my time.. Time = money and he agrees.

He transfers me over to a Customer relations agent who says what I would like to receive as compensation. I tried AppleCare, no luck so I settled for a nano and asked for the 16GB model. He takes a couple of minutes to see the case notes and agrees. Heres the kicker. They sent me a 8GB one, so I call again and there like... "oops". So now I have to send back the 8GB to get the 16GB one. Overall im happy, just disappointed that I dont have my computer when I really need her for class registration for spring quarter.

All I know is if I receive a defective machine again... Hell is going to break loose... lol

metroid87706

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
New Baltimore, MI
The reason I asked for a nano for compensation was that I was in the market for one and well I needed this computer to be repaired this week because its the only week that I can be without it (spring break).

So I ship it out Friday, and surprisingly I get it back Tuesday. Im surprised such fast turn around time. I open her up and find a dent next to the IR receiver and the case issues are still there. The DVI connector is a little bit squished in a swell which makes it hard for me to put in the adapters. So I call Apple, immediately ask them to transfer me to a tier 2 customer agent. We discuss for a while what can be done and he agrees to make a second mail in repair and will have a senior technician do the job on my computer when she gets sent in. During this time I tell him I want to be compensated for my time.. Time = money and he agrees.

He transfers me over to a Customer relations agent who says what I would like to receive as compensation. I tried AppleCare, no luck so I settled for a nano and asked for the 16GB model. He takes a couple of minutes to see the case notes and agrees. Heres the kicker. They sent me a 8GB one, so I call again and there like... "oops". So now I have to send back the 8GB to get the 16GB one. Overall im happy, just disappointed that I dont have my computer when I really need her for class registration for spring quarter.

All I know is if I receive a defective machine again... Hell is going to break loose... lol

Well, I did not ask for compensation, but he is scheduling another repair and is also sending it to a senior tech, so hopefully its fixed. If it comes back with problems, I too will have the same reaction as you.

MrZebra

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
The only issue for me was yeah, my superdrive slot was bent downwards, as in it would bite down on CDs I would insert so I got a screw driver and pried it up and clicked it into the casing on top... still a minor gap but it's not as bad... and it was a little dirty/dusty from the shop but yeah, overall it wasn't too bad and I got a free upgrade :)

The upgrade was certainly a nice thing but hey, I don't send my broken laptop to a repair center to have it repaired internally and damaged on the external side.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
It just amazes me that certified techs would be bending up the chassis of a MBP when taking them apart. I'd definitely be pissed about that, when I could do the job myself (other than the fact I'm not working for an Apple repair service) probably better than anyone who would bend stuff like cd slots, etc.

I've had my MBP for almost a year now, and no blemishes at all on it from impact, etc. and I pack it around almost everywhere I go in a backpack. The areas around the ports look perfect, the edges still look perfect and the dvd slot looks like new. I don't baby it, I just handle it with reasonable care. For a repair station to give it back to me with damage around ports or the dvd slot would make me lost my cool, I think. And I can imagine how mad I'd be if they said I did the damage... oh well - it hasn't happened to me so far (knock on wood.)

I guess pictures documenting the machine before packing it, or giving it to a repair center, and upon return are your best bet.

metroid87706

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
New Baltimore, MI
20 miles gets a :eek:?

For somebody who doesn't drive... yeah. Kinda. I'm that kinda person who rides their bike everywhere. :p Its not really I'm shocked how far it is, just that it's a little further than I expected. But, I like shipping it better. :D Don't like the quality of this first repair, but the second I hope will be better.

I'll call them after this repair, when I get it back, and ask to reimbursed for my lost time, because like I said earlier, my clients were not happy, and I have none at this point. :(

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
mine came back today.
They replaced the bottom case but top case still had issues andthe DVI connector seemed to be squished, it was hard to put in the DVI connector in there.

After being on the phone with an Apple Rep for over two and a half hours they decided to replace my computer with a new unibody base model MacBook Pro.
So now, I guess the case issues should go away and yeah.. I think thats it for my story. lol

mach42006

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
About 6 weeks ago my graphics card died (MBP with 8600M GT, purchased 10/2007). Without any warning, the screen just wouldn't turn on. I took it into the Apple Store (still under AppleCare) and they sent it in to replace the Logic Board. When it came back, the area above the Superdrive was pried upwards on mine as well, but everything else seemed to be in working order, so it wasn't a big deal. Within the past week though, on two occasions I have had my screen lock up with vertical swatches of "static", kind of like the second of the 3 pictures from the OP.

They did replace my logic board 6 weeks ago, but it still has the NVIDIA 8600M GT graphics card (ROM Rev. 3175). Obviously it's a graphics card problem, however it has only happened twice. Like the OP, I really need mine for school. So far, when I restart it comes back on fine, but I know at some point it won't...how long that will be, who knows?. Should I pursue this now, or wait until it fails? I am under AppleCare at least until September. Chances are they will put yet another faulty 8600; how many times typically do I have to send it in for this problem before I (should ask for/am entitled to) a replacement?

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Twice is too much IMO. I think you should call Apple and tell them it's unacceptable that your graphics card is failing AGAIN, and that you can't afford to be without your computer because of school. Who knows, they just might replace it.

To the OP, congrats!!

metroid87706

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
New Baltimore, MI
Just got my UMBP from the Apple Store. I had to take the battery I just got back, since today was the last day to take it back, so I asked if I could swap the MBP's in the store, and they OK'ed it. So I just got a base model MBP, and its great! And now I can get AppleCare on it. And, I'll also be buying ProCare too.

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
My 2.4ghz 17" Macbook Pro graphics card has just failed. Got a Genius appointment tomorrow. Bloody thing wont even boot now, the startup screen goes nuts and then it grey screens and tells me to restart the machine. Thankfully I have all my photos backed up but there is still a lot of stuff I could do without losing.

Do they always wipe the hdd when fixing the graphics problem? If so, why?!?!? Surely they should be able to just switch the graphics card/logic board/etc without wiping the drive?!

metroid87706

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
New Baltimore, MI
My 2.4ghz 17" Macbook Pro graphics card has just failed. Got a Genius appointment tomorrow. Bloody thing wont even boot now, the startup screen goes nuts and then it grey screens and tells me to restart the machine. Thankfully I have all my photos backed up but there is still a lot of stuff I could do without losing.

Do they always wipe the hdd when fixing the graphics problem? If so, why?!?!? Surely they should be able to just switch the graphics card/logic board/etc without wiping the drive?!

Not always, but usually. Just because of the fact it could be a software issue, and they want to have a fresh install to check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.