Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Interesting, the last two 13" MacBook Pro's do NOT have multiple monitor support
Fair enough, although this is a legacy machine.

The Pro replacement for the 13" MBP (the 14") does support multiple monitors. Apple even gave us a bigger (and FAR better) screen built-in.

However, supporting a single 6K 32" monitor is still a LOT of screen real estate, and more than enough for many Pro setups.

Last edited:

Bobby Smallwood

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2020
Fair enough, although this is a legacy machine.

The Pro replacement for the 13" MBP the 14") does support multiple monitors. Apple even gave us a bigger (and FAR better) screen built-in.

However, supporting a single 6K 32" monitor is still a LOT of screen real estate, and more than enough for many Pro setups.
Interesting, older non M chip legacy 13" pro's supported more than 1 monitor. As for a 32" 6K $6K display, this will not beat my 2 x 34" Ultra-wide 21:9 3440x 1440 displays that I picked up for $1600. I'm not a Pro and this is not a pro setup, no point in spending 6k for a display to do large spreadsheets.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
iPad Mini
iPad
iPad Air
iPad Pro 11”
iPad Pro 12.9”
iPad Pro 14”

M2 Pro/Max MacBook 12”
M2 MacBook Air 13.6”
M2 Pro/Max MacBook Pro 14”
M2 MacBook Air 15”
M2 Pro/Max MacBook Pro 16”

Does this make sense?

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
It’s essential for anyone who does any serious work. I wasn’t saying it’s essential for browsing Facebook.
Maybe you should look up (or reconsider) the definition of "essential" then. Or "serious work".

I know people that charge hourly rates in the hundreds of dollars - using only one monitor.
I also know people that written entire doctoral theses on just one monitor.

I work with two external monitors every day - and the benefit to us is huge.
That doesn't mean I generalise my own experience to everyone.

Last edited:

Bobby Smallwood

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2020
iPad Mini
iPad
iPad Air
iPad Pro 11”
iPad Pro 12.9”
iPad Pro 14”

M2 Pro/Max MacBook 12”
M2 MacBook Air 13.6”
M2 Pro/Max MacBook Pro 14”
M2 MacBook Air 15”
M2 Pro/Max MacBook Pro 16”

Does this make sense?
It does if you list them this way

13" MBA
15" MBA

12" MBP
14" MBP
16" MBP

Reactions: Falhófnir

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
They shouldn’t name as “Air”, it couldn’t fit in paper envelop.
Just get a bigger envelope :)

Really, the MacBook Airs are popular for being small and lightweight but more importantly they are the cheaper laptops in Apples product line. A 15” air would still be thin and would be lighter than a 14” MBP. You can’t get too literal about Apples product names. If so your get into endless and pointless arguments about whether product X Pro is really pro enough.

Reactions: Falhófnir

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
It does if you list them this way

13" MBA
15" MBA

12" MBP
14" MBP
16" MBP
12” seems out of place. The 12” will have worse battery life than the 14” which is already piss poor. The new M2 MBA battery life is similar to the M1 MBA so don’t expect battery life increase in the M2 Pro/Max

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Interesting, older non M chip legacy 13" pro's supported more than 1 monitor. As for a 32" 6K $6K display, this will not beat my 2 x 34" Ultra-wide 21:9 3440x 1440 displays that I picked up for $1600. I'm not a Pro and this is not a pro setup, no point in spending 6k for a display to do large spreadsheets.
And the M1 MacBook Pro runs RINGS around the non-M version in every other way.

So, pick your poison using devices created in the now-behind-us-Intel-to-M transitional era.

You're complaining about a gap Apple already addressed: In the era of GIANT monitors, multi-monitor setups are relegated to the Pro space.

Two 34" ultrawide monitors is a ridiculously overkill setup for most consumers/semi Pros.

A single one will replace two external monitors, which perhaps is why Apple did the one monitor support thing (I don't work for Apple, so I don't know for sure).

But if you're a Pro (or consumer) that has them and want to use them, the Apple has several "Pro" level machines available for you (besides the legacy 13" MBP you're complaining about).

And so does Microsoft.

So again, pick your poison, but raging against this machine is pointless.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
What is the point of a 15" MacBook Air as it will cost almost the same as the 16" MacBook Pro.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Maybe you should look up (or reconsider) the definition of "essential" then. Or "serious work".

I know people that charge hourly rates in the hundreds of dollars - using only one monitor.
I also know people that written entire doctoral theses on just one monitor.

I work with two external monitors every day - and the benefit to us is huge.
That doesn't mean I generalise my own experience to everyone.
Exactly.

Everyone is different and has existing setups that may affect their buying decisions.

But Apple has always released products with the future in mind. And today, many (not all) can replace their dual setups with a single:

designer-debacle-dual-monitor-vs-ultrawide-for-productivity-how-to-choose-817.jpg

Bobby Smallwood

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2020
Sort of, but who is expecting a Pro chip in the 12” MBA? That seems like a stretch. More likely it will be light and cheap and replace the M1 MBA.
I agree but that does not mean that the line up does not make sense. If Apple plans to make a 12" MBP with a M2 pro/Max CPU they must have a reason.

Bobby Smallwood

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2020
So again, pick your poison, but raging against this machine is pointless.
You keeping on insisting that a dual monitor setup makes a person a pro is also kinda pointless. Every person in my office has at least 2 external displays and they are no pro's, they are everyday workers.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
I agree but that does not mean that the line up does not make sense. If Apple plans to make a 12" MBP with a M2 pro/Max CPU they must have a reason.
It will probably rock 4-6 hours of battery life with real world use. That is pathetic. Who cares how light / small / pathetic it is when battery life is poor.

Bobby Smallwood

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2020
Do you have the 14”? 17 hours is a flat out lie. Check the MBP forums for hundreds of complaints about the 14” battery life. It’s piss poor when compared to the 16” M1 Pro and M1 MBP.
I would consider anything over 10 hours of solid use to be phenomenal.

Bobby Smallwood

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2020
It will probably rock 4-6 hours of battery life with real world use. That is pathetic. Who cares how light / small / pathetic it is when battery life is poor.
As long as they are honest with the numbers, I'm fine with it. If you need more battery life, they have other options. I have an iPhone 13 Mini, I am satisfied with the battery life, I do not expect the 13 mini to have the same life as the 13 pro Max. I wanted a smaller phone and I'm willing to live with less battery life.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
You keeping on insisting that a dual monitor setup makes a person a pro is also kinda pointless. Every person in my office has at least 2 external displays and they are no pro's, they are everyday workers.
1. Are they not getting paid? Because that is the definition of Pro.

2. I never insisted that multiple monitors makes you Pro. I insist that Apple decided that multiple monitor setups should be relegated to the Pro space with regards to THEIR products and their position in Apple's computer offerings.

Reactions: Tagbert

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
34“ 5K2K + 16” M1 Pro set-up here and it’s amazing. But I am tempted to go bigger with the 40” 5K2K - https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-40wp95c-w
Yep. I use a company-provided PC laptop for work, and my office setup has 2 Lenovo monitors on a single arm (very nice) that I use with a dock and my laptop screen (I use the laptop's keyboard and an external mouse for a very clean setup).

My home setup is identical except that the monitors are not matched (I've accumulated a few over the years).

I'm thinking of replacing the separate ones with just one ultrawide; It gives me the same benefits of real estate while reducing the stupid app-window-not-opening-where-I want-it-so-I-have-to-drag-it-there Windows problem.

I wish my office did the same thing, but I'm sure it ain't happening anytime soon, if at all.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
What is the point of a 15" MacBook Air as it will cost almost the same as the 16" MacBook Pro.
Weight, battery life, and those couple hundred difference for the same config that is likely to be there.

Sometimes, "less" is worth the money.

Which is why my primary home device is a maxed-out iPad Pro (I use a company-issued PC for work).

Reactions: Tagbert

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Weight, battery life, and those couple hundred difference for the same config that is likely to be there.

Sometimes, "less" is worth the money.

Which is why my primary home device is a maxed-out iPad Pro (I use a company-issued PC for work).

Makes sense if you are not tight on a budget.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Why would it cost as much as a 16” MBP?

If you configure a 14” MBP and a 16” MBP to the same spec the 16” is $200 more. That gives an approximate price for adding the larger screen. If you apply that same upgrade price to a 13” MBA at $1199, you get a 15” MBA at 1399. That is a reasonable base price for a 15” MBA.

People do worry that a larger Air would canibalize sales from the 14 or 16 MBP. But, while their base price is higher, their base configurations are better. I suspect if you configured a 15” MBA to the same level (except SOC) it would be a little cheaper than the 14” MBP but maybe only $100 or so. Still it would have the larger screen but not as large as the 16”. All in all, the 15 will appeal to some and may take sales away from the MBP but Apple won’t be hurting. You can relax about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.