Apple Working on EKG Heart Monitor for Future Apple Watch Models

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

I don't know that they would need to have interpretation software necessarily. I could see serious value if it was sent to my doctor so that we have real world numbers over a period of time to talk about

2. Relentless Power, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Who says they won't says they won't tweak it? I personally happen to like the design myself and find it comfortable as well.

I Don't see Apple completely redesigning the Apple Watch. Watch designs typically don't change that much altogether. More or less, even if the Apple Watch does see a redesign, I don't think It will be drastically different.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If Apple wants the EKG, it will require FDA involvement. I like the rumored idea. I would not like more gubmint red tape and oversight.

4. melancholy macrumors regular

melancholy

5. nt5672 macrumors 65816

If the watch can inject a drug to throttle down your heart, then I think we have a winner. Apple will be able to achieve global domination. There will be no more nations, just AppleWorld and the lowlife underworld for people that don't walk around in Apple bliss.

6. ThreeOlives macrumors newbie

Building in EKG functionality hardware wise into the Apple Watch would almost certainly go down the same path as Alivecor's device, 510(k) clearance showing that it is substantially equivalent to other approved devices which is not particularly difficult to do, it does not require clinical trials or anything, just demonstrating that it basically does the same thing as other similar devices that have been approved and it does it reliably and safely

My understanding of Alivecor hurdle was not device approval but approval of the algorithm to detect arrhythmias and other abnormalities which is a much more difficult hurdle. Given Apple interest in ResearchKit what I would suspect would happen is they would build in the hardware and then let any use of it fall under ResearchKit clinical trials as they are doing with the Apple Heart Study using the existing hardware. That would get the FDA off their back by making it clear that they were not making any medical claims but still allow them to collect boatloads of data for their research projects and greatly ease certification if they wanted to make it a marketed feature of the Apple Watch in the future.

At least that is my understanding of the Alivecor's situation.

7. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

Did I miss Apple announcing a redesign? Hmm, no, I don't think so...

I just upgraded from the Series 0 to the 3. It is an amazing difference, the AW3 is incredibly fast. Siri is useful now and it being able to talk back is great.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2017 ---
    Nope, you don't get Apple. They've stated many times they don't change the design of a device just for change's sake. Not their bag.

8. jyen macrumors regular

An Apple Watch update that's not just a new watch band! That's nice for a change.

9. jerryk macrumors 68040

Great idea. Being able to monitor people and warn them of conditions before hand is a great idea. Also, the data can be anonomized and used as source for machine learning to creating prediction models for multiple medical conditions.

10. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

No, you didn’t miss it, but it’s coming.

So, what do you call the iPhone 3G, iPad 2, MacBook Air (2010), etc? Just random changes?

11. MacLawyer macrumors regular

MacLawyer

"Future Apple Watch?????" But I just got one!!! Whaaaaaah!:D

12. Baymowe335 macrumors 65832

Gotta love unfunny people posting for likes.

Anything to say about this cool feature? No? Move along...

13. rictus007 macrumors regular

Someone in the medical field here! Whatever can help to make better, quicker and more accurate diagnosis is welcome.

If this can detect arrhythmias before someone develops symptoms, even better.

I guess it will require some kind of interaction, like touching some part of the watch or wrist band. If they do it through the crown, then the watch can be taking the heart rhythm multiple times per day.

14. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Yes.it will. On the top of that it may inject a T-Virus or something. But if you wear a tinfoil hat though,you should be fine.

15. ThreeOlives macrumors newbie

Pretty sure the iPhone 3G was changed to reduce the cost and add better antennas for GPS and 3G, not just for the hell of it.

16. ClaveMan macrumors member

ClaveMan

17. blake2 macrumors member

blake2

The idea is really interesting but it might require some breakthroughs in cardiac monitoring technology. I mean... it was a few years ago that I last worked in a ward but it’d have helped the nurses and doctors a lot if EKG’s could be done with a strap-on band instead of the conventional 6-electrode one.

18. opfreak macrumors regular

after one year, it will fail to detect the signal 20-50% of the time, because otherwise the device would shut down.

19. Cloudkicker macrumors 6502

Cloudkicker

Apparently, Apple Watch also slows your heartbeat rate whenever Apple releases a new model to get you to buy a new watch. lol

20. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

I am definitely no business analyst, but that sounds pretty feasible. Apple acquires companies all the time and it would, I assume, keep them from having to start from scratch on FDA approval.

21. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

In my country the phrase “Do no harm” extends to doctors not performing unnecessary tests, including annual physicals.

22. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

This will be great! When Apple cripples the watch in the name of battery life, they'll be able to measure the direct decrease of the user's heart health when trying to open an app!

23. Brandhouse macrumors regular

That's technology which I'd upgrade from my series 1 for.

24. rotax macrumors regular

As stated, Alivecore already does exactly this. Built into Apple watch is not likely is the device needs cross points from the body i.e. the left arm where the watch is and the other arm's fingers touching the band as is the case in the Alivecore product. If its not continuous / autonomous (with your concurrence) then it would be no advantage over existing products.

I'd expect to see Apple make a companion bracelet/anklet, or other worn device that connects via bluetooth or even via the electrical wave itself that is sent through the body via the watch or bracelet to allow for continuous monitoring. Next could come pacemaker connectivity etc.

25. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

If you have to press two fingers to the side of the device, this certainly doesn’t provide continuous heart monitoring. Apple needs to be looking at things like insertable ILRs.