Apple Working on EKG Heart Monitor for Future Apple Watch Models

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. xyzzy macrumors newbie

It's also worth noting that this (like the Kardia) is a one-lead rather than a twelve-lead EKG. It's fine for assessing heart rhythm, but for the other major use of EKGs (detection of cardiac hypoxia or early signs of heart attack) it's not going to be terribly useful. A third (!) sensor would be needed for a 6-lead EKG.

2. jerry333 macrumors regular

jerry333

"A version being tested requires users to squeeze the frame of the Apple Watch with two fingers from the hand that's not wearing the device, one of the people said."

How would you squeeze the frame of the Apple Watch with fingers from the hand that's wearing the device?

3. dzankizakon macrumors newbie

You take the watch off the hand, squeeze it with the same hand while holding it in the other hand, and then put it back. Easy.

4. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

I’m reserving judgement until I see the Jony Ive EKG app, with two words floating in white space: “heart”, which if you hold your bare armpit flat against for 45 seconds finds your heartbeat 1/3 of the time and dials your secretary the other 2/3, and “maps”, which provides you with your position on a dark green squiggly line on a dark green background of a map that doesn’t load which takes you to the nearest hospital, or fish market. In the corner, there will be three dots, which if you tap and hold on, will bring up a pop up window half of which is off the screen, and one of the options is “status”, which will then tell you your Apple Watch battery life, Apple Pencil battery life, and Apple ECG reading of your heart, which if you tap on it, will think about it for 6 or 7 minutes and display “you are dead” with a race and gender appropriate emoji of a frowny face.

5. nordique macrumors 65816

An ECG using two fingers?

Won't be a true ecg in that case

You need the correct leads to create the vectors
    --- Post Merged, Dec 24, 2017 ---
    I agree, no software analysis will be able to predict much beyond a supraventricular or ventricular arrythmia

But it's a bit misleading to the general public if it's advertised as an ECG. You need to create the vectors appropriately and I don't see how placing two fingers on a watch would do that, unless it is purely for arrythmias (something apple has mentioned at wwdc if I'm not mistaken)

6. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Wrist ekg's are tricky.
    Apple's going to have to find and use the right alloy, and we might still end up having to shave our wrists.
    Band tightness might also be a major downside.

7. DaveN macrumors 6502a

DaveN

I think the idea of having the EKG equipment in the band. That way the watch isn't tied to FDA approval and only the band needs certification.

8. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

But then you can’t use the feature without a specific band.

9. DaveN macrumors 6502a

DaveN

But not all the people want that feature. You don't want to delay an entire product line to wait for FDA approval.

10. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Then don’t use the feature if you don’t want it. There isn’t any indication that they’ve delayed anything.