Apple Working on EKG Heart Monitor for Future Apple Watch Models

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

The Apple Watch should be the ultimate health and fitness device. We need this and much more.

Screw your FDA, they will only delay or limit Apple's innovation.

2. nt5672 macrumors 68000

I think you misunderstand America. The FDA only screws up things that help people and are relatively free or low cost. Things like diet, food groups, natural medicines, common sense, etc.

With big bucks involved the FDA will jump right on that. They exists to entitle big business, big donors, and big government. If Apple pays through the nose to the right people, they'll sail right by the FDA.

3. kstotlani macrumors 6502

People have bought too many bands. Apple cannot win with the design. If they change there will be a backlash and a lot of waste of resources but if they don’t it will be stale. Personally I don’t care about the design as I use the watch as a utility. My really expensive watch has not seen the light of day because of it.

4. UnionVGF macrumors 6502a

UnionVGF

Thanks for being the forum police, champ.

As far as the ekg goes, it’s alredy been done.

5. StyxMaker macrumors 68000

StyxMaker

Since my cardiologist put me on medication to slow my heart she might approve of that function.

6. mistasopz macrumors regular

We need to wait 10 years and then they will make it with no bezels and a notch at the top.

7. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

So had touch screen phones and tablets before iPhone and iPad...

8. UnionVGF macrumors 6502a

UnionVGF

[QUOTE
    And? There were set top boxes before Apple TV and it’s still an after thought. There were ear buds befor Appea, apples are absolutely pathetic, overpriced junk. Remembers Ping? There were map apps before. Well, Apple maps, lol.....

For every Apple hit, there’s a miss. I don’t think they’ll get their medical attemp far.

9. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

Lol, ridiculous. There are obviously varying levels of hits or misses.

The iPhone might be the best consumer product of all time and the iPad was/is a generational type device. iOS is incredible. The success of these 2 products and accompanying software absolutely drawfs any failures.

AirPods are phenomenal too.

10. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

This is the new “safari is snappier” joke eh? Continue on

11. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure they will do this, if you have to manually open an app and hold the side of the watch to take an EKG that limits its use quite significantly. Adding component cost for something that isn't automatic and not many people will use also isn't very Apple. As neat as this would be to have I think the band approach is good enough.

12. Keirasplace macrumors 601

No, they'll let it die missing a dangerous conditions (like Android would do) or explode killing the user, like Samsung would do...

Surely THAT would be better huh?

See, buddy, this "joke" ain't really as funny as you think it is.
    Find a snappier one.

Also, stop drinking the click bait.

13. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

Also the Reserve Strap battery band that gave the watch 1 week battery life. Apple literally blocked it for using the maintenance port which seems like it was specifically designed to attach watch bands to.

14. recoil80 macrumors 68020

That's a good news.
    I'm getting close to my 40s and my family has an history of heart problems, so in the future I'd gladly wear something able to help me get an early notification of an heart condition. Those devices will improve over time and in a few years I'm confident they'll be able to monitor vital parameters with a good precision.

15. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

I would not like to see AliveCor run out of business by the big corporation - they have been an important innovative force in this space. Apple should licence the tech from them - that way they have an income stream to fund whatever developments they have next up their sleeve :)

16. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Instead of two fingers - wonder if you could do it with an additional band. So, you have watch on one wrist and a plain band that generated current on the other. If necessary, any communication between the two could be bluetooth.

17. whooleytoo macrumors 604

whooleytoo

:D

Once you reach a certain age, yes. I wouldn't mind if it made me a few millimetres slimmer too. But if it starts removing ports, I'm not buying it!

18. kdarling, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Yep, although that's entirely in a band that you can move between Watches, while Apple apparently wants to include it in their watch, like Samsung demonstrated in their own wearable health kit reference design back in 2015:

image.jpeg

Or maybe not. Could be that Apple will do an accessory band as well, because then they could charge extra for it. And certify it separately if need be.

Nope. It's your heart that's generating the current that needs to be read.

image.jpeg

Touching the watch with the other hand completes a body electrical path back through your heart in order to read its electrical output.

19. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Sigh... this is really, really misleading. This is nowhere near the functionality of the EKG you get in a doctor's office. The best a watch could do would be to tell about heart rhythm, and that would be only when you involve fingers of the other hand. It is NOT continuous. There are specific situations where this might be useful, such as people with intermittent dizziness where you could check the rhythm while they are having symptoms. This will tell you nothing about whether someone is having a heart attack, or whether they are having intermittent rhythm issues other than specifically when the watch is pressed and the app engaged. That's a very limited utility.

20. Breaking Good, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017

Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I mean no offense, Andres, but what do you want it to look like?

Laptops and smartphones all look the same because all the manufactures have been driving toward the most optimal design for its intended use.

Wristwatches have been in common use for over 100 years now. A round watch certainly makes sense for an analog watch face. But for anything electronic, a square watch makes the optimal use of the space available.

Edit: OK I see in the picture that kdarling posted that the body of the device is slightly curved. If you are inferring that Apple curve the body of the watch then that would make sense provided it is technologically feasible to do. A curved body would allow for a larger device.

At the end of the day you are always going to run into the problem that you have a limited amount of space on a person's wrist. Too large and the device becomes too uncomfortable to wear.

Have you ever seen a Samsung Gear 3 Frontier on someone's wrist? Those things are absolutely huge. No way you are getting a typical shirt cuff over one.

21. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

Stop being such a grump. You'll live longer and happier.

Oh and Apple was really in the wrong, you're making false equivalencies. Stop being such an Apple fanboy lemming

22. fhopper macrumors regular

fhopper

They need to address Pacemakers. I am not allowed to have current anywhere, no TENS, no Pulse grips on exercise equipment etc. If they are so big on Heart Health this will be a big issue and if the answer is "well Apple current is different" the they are screwed.

23. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I see your point, however, I'm sure Apple will find a way to make it even a bit thinner. That's more what I was referring to. With the advancements of the manufacturing processes, I'm sure they'll reach a point where they will decide to do this, they always do.

24. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

Just imagine the markup when insurance companies begin to absorb some of the retail price...

25. macmanmass macrumors member

macmanmass

Uh Oh. We have some bad press. Looks like we need to get our PR dept on it and release a "feel good" story on how wonderful Apple is. Maybe it will drown out all the allegations of Batterygate......Nope.