Apple Working on 'Find My Watch' and Third-Party Watch Complications, 'TVKit' Dev Tools for Apple TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 18, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ahead of next month's Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple is laying the groundwork for future software and hardware updates for both the Apple Watch and Apple TV, according to a new report from 9to5Mac.

Timing for some of the new features remains unclear, but the report claims Apple is working on a "Find My Watch" implementation that could be paired with a "Smart Leashing" feature that would remind Apple Watch users if they appear to have accidentally left their iPhones behind.
    The news comes following concerns over the lack of any sort of Activation Lock functionality for the Apple Watch, but the new features may require new hardware to support them, pushing their launch off until the release of the second-generation Apple Watch.

Apple is also reportedly working on support for third-party watch face complications for the Apple Watch, which would, for example, allow users to see at a glance if they have unread Twitter mentions. Additional software and hardware work is focused on filling out health and fitness functionality for the Apple Watch, including additional sensors that were rumored but did not make it into the first version of the device.

On the Apple TV front, sources claim Apple's developer tools that will allow developers to build third-party apps for the next-generation Apple TV will be known as "TVKit", with the new hardware and tools expected to debut at next month's Worldwide Developers Conference. The Apple Watch appears set to serve as a key method for controlling the new box, which will also support Apple's rumored live streaming television service, although recent rumors have suggested that piece of the overall package may debut several months later than the hardware.

Apple's WWDC keynote is expected to see a significant number of announcements, including the new developer tools for Apple TV apps and native Apple Watch apps, as well as iOS 9 and OS X 10.11. As was the case last year, hardware announcements may be slim or absent entirely, particularly with updated 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro and 27-inch iMac models expected this week.

Article Link: Apple Working on 'Find My Watch' and Third-Party Watch Complications, 'TVKit' Dev Tools for Apple TV

2. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Love this time of year...exciting times ahead.

3. ethanwa79 macrumors regular

Please give us developers a Siri SDK. Please.

4. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

5. thekeyring macrumors 68040

This!

I'm hoping iOS 9 will be refinements and optimisations, but I'm hoping there will be a handful of new features, and a Siri API would be top of that list.

6. The Barron macrumors 6502

I am so ready for an updated Apple TV.

It better happen because Apple is getting the pants beat off it with competitors in the TV area.

I sure hope they give us some control over how the channel line up is displayed so we can either delete, heaven forbid!, or at least hide the ones we don't want on the main selection screen.

Please, Apple!

7. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Would be nice if the aTV could have an IR sender that would control my cable box and TV. Then I could get rid of that moronic remote Samsung makes and Time Warner requires.

8. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

9. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Not only that would be great to see. I really hope that Apple will continue 'opening up' iOS. Like with iOS 8, but of course even further. Siri API would be an awesome addition anyway! :D

10. gramtrax macrumors regular

gramtrax

Using a watch to control my TV.

That's genius! .......geniusly stupid, that is. But at least it would be better than the remote we have now.

11. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yes please. In fact I hope we see a lot more Siri improvements so it truely is a worthy competitor to Google Now and Cortana.

12. DrOct macrumors newbie

DrOct

This comes up every time I see a discussion of the AppleTV. You can already hide channels. There are two ways to do it, both outlined here: http://www.imore.com/how-hide-channels-your-apple-tv-main-menu

(I actually only learned of the method from the main screen just now! I've always done it through the settings menu before!).

Other than that though I am totally in agreement, I REALLY want an updated AppleTV with an app store. They definitely need to step up their game there.

13. amirite macrumors 6502a

The Watch already does that. The TV part of this article is about dev tools for Apple TV.

14. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Should this be true, I hope that the "Find My Watch"-type features are supported by the v1 editions.

I know there's disagreement among forum members on this point, but security features seem like a glaring omission to me.

15. nfl46 macrumors 604

Sweet! I'm looking forward to the new Apple Watch updates!

16. rickdollar macrumors 6502

" ... a "Smart Leashing" feature that would remind Apple Watch users if they appear to have accidentally left their iPhones behind."

I've been hoping for this since the watch was announced. No more lost phones and you'd know right away if someone lifted your phone.

17. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Awesome - such an exciting time! Release that AppleTV and take my money!

18. baller1308 macrumors 65816

19. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I think the idea is to get rid of your Cable Box with New Streaming Services. As for the volume control. We still need something for that. Maybe that could come from the ATV but not sure. As a test I ran my ATV Audio out directly to my sound bar. If the ATV could adjust volume on sound bar I would just set TV volume to 0 or off and go that direction.

The only box I want connected to my TV is the ATV. And I would like Bluetooth to control it instead of IR. Also, would be nice if I could send the audio to my sound bar over bluetooth as well so not need for a cable.

20. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I love when they start decorating the Moscone Center, can't wait to see the "9" banner!

21. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

Looking forward to custom complications - an obvious missing feature in 1.0, I though.

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I don't think this is what people had it mind when they complained about the current remote and asked for an improved remote.

23. Thunderhawks Suspended

24. techguy9 macrumors 6502

techguy9

Ah, good times coming ahead! WWDC is surely going to be jam-packed this year!:D

25. tricil macrumors member

Will Find My Watch work on the watch I ordered over a month ago that still isn't here yet?

;)