Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cappy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
That doesn't mean it's not the most bug-ridden; look at how many issues they've confirmed for the 14 Series.
This being one of them, though. This is an "issue" in the political sense. Someone who wants to complain (you, apparently) will add this to their list of gotchas, even though a fair minded person might ask "Who is actually inconvenienced by some horizontal lines that appear only (and briefly) when a device is being turned on?"

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
I had gotten this issue on iPhone X and Xs and both instances it was due to my battery bulging. But it wasn't at boot, it was all the time. Perhaps the issues are not the same, but I had vertical green lines gradually get worse as the battery swelled more and more that the screen started to separate from the chassis.

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
With the recent tid bits of interdepartmental politics hinting at turmoil in the leadership, the bland PR response is not comforting.
This is what Apple Support has come to: deny a problem exists, tell customers they must spend hours to erase and reinstall, RTA to Engineering, Engineering says to keep your device up-to-date, Apple says they are working on a software fix.

Jackboy_22

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2016

Apple has acknowledged that iPhone 14 Pro users, specifically iPhone 14 Pro Max customers, may see flashing horizontal lines on their iPhone display when the device is being turned on.

iphone-14-pro-display-issues.jpg

MacRumors forum user Infernoqt and Reddit user u/1LastOutlaw

Last month, MacRumors reported that a growing number of iPhone 14 Pro customers described seeing green and yellow horizontal lines flash on their iPhone display when the device is being turned on. The exact details at the time, including whether or not Apple was looking into the issue or whether it was a hardware or software problem, were unknown.

Now, in a new memo, Apple has acknowledged the issue and put at ease concerns it stems from a hardware deficit, confirming it's being investigated and an iOS update to address it will be released soon. iPhone 14 Pro customers may "report that when they power on or unlock their phone, they briefly see horizontal lines flash across the screen," the memo seen by MacRumors says. "Apple is aware of the issue and a software update is coming soon that will resolve the issue," the memo adds.

iOS 16.3 is currently undergo testing with developers and members of the public beta program, but that update is not expected to launch for at least several more weeks. More imminently, Apple could release iOS 16.2.1, following the release of iOS 16.2 last month, to address this and other bugs being experienced by users.

Article Link: Apple Working on Fix for iPhone 14 Pro Horizontal Lines Display Issue
They should also have a fix for iMac M1 have also lines in the screen. This is terrible.

Jankie

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2022
This being one of them, though. This is an "issue" in the political sense. Someone who wants to complain (you, apparently) will add this to their list of gotchas, even though a fair minded person might ask "Who is actually inconvenienced by some horizontal lines that appear only (and briefly) when a device is being turned on?"
If they keep the phone, I think you are right in that they will not be ‘inconvenienced’. However, it may make it more problematic trying to sell the phone. I personally would not purchase one second hand with this issue. Why? Because I do not know if it is a hardware issue and if the device will fail at some point. For similar reasons, I would be nervous keeping the phone if it was close to falling out of the warranty period. Obviously this is not the case yet as the phone is <6 months old and Apple has time to resolve issue.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Wonder how software can cause this!
It's probably writing a value to an active video RAM page when it is doing a memory test.
People turn their iPhone off?:oops::oops:
Usually when I get on an airplane or on the very few times I am fully off work. "I guess I must have been between cell towers or something."
I had gotten this issue on iPhone X and Xs and both instances it was due to my battery bulging. But it wasn't at boot, it was all the time. Perhaps the issues are not the same, but I had vertical green lines gradually get worse as the battery swelled more and more that the screen started to separate from the chassis.
It's not uncommon to have the same effect from different causes.
Apple hasn't found a fix for this 10 generations later? :rolleyes:
It's probably not the same bug.

I can't imagine the horror of seeing a line go across the screen when my iPhone is booting up. I hope Apple provides trauma counseling to those who have been exposed. Imagine having PTSD triggered every single time you see a line. You are waiting in line at the post office then suddenly you curl up in a ball sobbing, "OMG my phone my phone!"

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
UPDATE FROM APPLE SUPPORT

Customers experiencing issues with flashing lines on the screen when booting an iPhone 14 Pro should follow the following procedure to resolve the issue:

1. Press and hold the power button for 2 seconds to turn the iPhone on
2. Close eyes
3. Count to 20
4. Open eyes

Should this not fully resolve the issue, Apple Support will be supplying a hardware fix. Users who continue to experience this issue should make an Apple Store appointment or contact Apple Support to request an "iBlindfold", a new product developed by Apple engineering. iBlindfold will initially be exclusive to iPhone 14 Pro owners at a discounted price of $9.99, but will soon be available to anyone at the regular price of $29.99.

iBlindfold is also being recommended for those users experiencing graphical glitches and poor UX design in macOS 13.
I love it but only if the iBlindfold has the ability to go through a full 48 hours on a single battery charge.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
UPDATE FROM APPLE SUPPORT

Customers experiencing issues with flashing lines on the screen when booting an iPhone 14 Pro should follow the following procedure to resolve the issue:

1. Press and hold the power button for 2 seconds to turn the iPhone on
2. Close eyes
3. Count to 20
4. Open eyes

Should this not fully resolve the issue, Apple Support will be supplying a hardware fix. Users who continue to experience this issue should make an Apple Store appointment or contact Apple Support to request an "iBlindfold", a new product developed by Apple engineering. iBlindfold will initially be exclusive to iPhone 14 Pro owners at a discounted price of $9.99, but will soon be available to anyone at the regular price of $29.99.

iBlindfold is also being recommended for those users experiencing graphical glitches and poor UX design in macOS 13.
You’re looking at it wrong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.