Apple Working on iPadOS Shortcuts for Changing iPad Keyboard Brightness

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be working on keyboard shortcuts that will allow users who have a Magic Keyboard or other attached keyboard with key brightness settings to adjust the brightness level.

Signs of Apple's work on the shortcuts were found in iOS 13.5.5 code by 9to5Mac. The site says the beta has references to keyboard shortcuts that replace some function keys.
We've found evidence in code that suggests the existence of new keyboard shortcuts to change the brightness of the iPad screen or even the backlight of the keyboard. However, we haven't been able to activate these shortcuts yet, and it's unclear if these will be customizable.
One of the negatives of the Magic Keyboard designed for the iPad Pro is that there's no quick way to change the brightness of the backlit keys because the keyboard lacks a function row in an effort to keep it compact.

iPadOS offers an option to remap modifier keys to do things like allow the Caps Lock button to serve as an Escape key, and 9to5Mac suggests that the brightness function keys will be adjustable similar to modifier keys, but with shortcut combinations.

iPad keyboards not designed by Apple that do feature function row keys typically have built-in brightness controls for backlighting, but this would be a welcome change for those that do not such as the Magic Keyboard.

Article Link: Apple Working on iPadOS Shortcuts for Changing iPad Keyboard Brightness

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
If only this would make its way to the Mac, we could use the entire TouchBar for its intended use, and control volume, screen brightness or play/pause with this shortcuts.

And then, I would see the TouchBar with other eyes.

Reactions: Feisar

Feisar

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
If only this would make its way to the Mac, we could use the entire TouchBar for its intended use, and control volume, screen brightness or play/pause with this shortcuts.

And then, I would see the TouchBar with other eyes.
Was just going to post the same and possibly justify the price they're charging for these things xD.

Reactions: Populus

sub150

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2018
This product was kept under wraps very well with no leaks, so I'm guessing like 5 people were testing and none of them though to adjust the brightness manually. Probably weren't able to take it home so always working in bright lighting.

Reactions: Aston441

sferik

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
I hope they bring it to the Mac too! 😆

I’ve been wishing for a physical keyboard shortcut for brightness controls since they moved to the Touch Bar. 😞

GuruZac

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2015
This is awesome news, but I also can’t say I’ve found the need to manually adjust the brightness as the auto brightness feature works great. I absolutely love using my Magic Keyboard. I’m hoping for some cool new functions added via iPadOS 14.
- - Post merged: - -

How about a key combo (like ALT-Globe) that brings up a touchbar-like bar at the bottom of the iPad screen, where it will be easy to reach and adjust several different things?
I like that idea a lot. I’ve seen a concept of a Touch Bar like bar below the dock on the iPad. It looked good and would very functional.

Edit: I actually found the reddit where the mock up virtual function keys below the dock were shown:
7C28961D-8423-4C8A-B1CD-291C648F094F.jpeg

Last edited:

amartinez1660

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
Well, if we are onto shortcuts, let’s do for quite a few of them... window/app switching (although trackpad does it), screen brightness, window brightness, sound volume, mic volume?, camera brightness?... maybe a combination of holding alt+command and dragging on some predefined quadrants on the trackpad.

magic keyboard was a mistake
What makes you say that? I haven’t tried it, but judging by what everyone is saying it must be damn good.
I think one of the best decisions I have made regarding tablets (have had iPad 2, then Air then iPad Pro 11”) is to buy the last one with the smart folio keyboard, Apple Pencil, etc... what a massive difference in usability, stance, practicality, etc.
If the magic keyboard is remotely as good as they say, then judging from my experience with a ‘lesser keyboard’ then it must be damn good and very far from being a mistake.
What happened to yours? Didn’t like it?

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
An example of Apple crippling MacOS to make it resemble iOS:
In previous versions of MacOS Finder, you could unselect everything in a window simply by pressing the Escape key. But after one update, the Escape key no longer worked to unselect all. Now you have to hold down the stupid Option key to make yet another stupid hidden item appear in the menu commands. Apple's reason for doing this? To make it the same as iOS. Even though they could have simply kept both keyboard commands in MacOS.

Last edited:

farewelwilliams

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2014
Sounds like something someone who can’t afford it would say
I bought it and returned it because I didn't like it.
Nice try though.
- - Post merged: - -

Well, if we are onto shortcuts, let’s do for quite a few of them... window/app switching (although trackpad does it), screen brightness, window brightness, sound volume, mic volume?, camera brightness?... maybe a combination of holding alt+command and dragging on some predefined quadrants on the trackpad.

What makes you say that? I haven’t tried it, but judging by what everyone is saying it must be damn good.
I think one of the best decisions I have made regarding tablets (have had iPad 2, then Air then iPad Pro 11”) is to buy the last one with the smart folio keyboard, Apple Pencil, etc... what a massive difference in usability, stance, practicality, etc.
If the magic keyboard is remotely as good as they say, then judging from my experience with a ‘lesser keyboard’ then it must be damn good and very far from being a mistake.
What happened to yours? Didn’t like it?
Whole point of a keyboard and cursor is to be able to do work. An iPad with Magic Keyboard isn't better than carrying my MacBook 12" at anything except maybe battery life.

Reactions: Dopestar

yurc

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
I have never once missed not having the function keys. It’s pretty easy to change any setting as it is.
But I just wondered why Apple have tendencies eliminated function rows so much on some of their portable lineup, MBP was absent due touch bar, and now this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.