Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
CNet reports that the Council of Better Business Bureaus has recommended that Apple stop comparative performance claims with respect to the PowerMac G5.

Responding to a complaint initiated by Dell, the council "determined that the evidence provided by Apple did not provide a reasonable basis for its broad unqualified claims that its Power Mac G5 is 'the world's fastest, most powerful personal computer' and that it 'edged out the competition on integer.'"

The ad campaign has already been completed but Apple reportedly "will be mindful of NAD's views in its future advertising".

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Busted!!

Now if they actually bring out some new models faster than once a year, maybe they can make this claim in the future!

geoffreyMB

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2004
NEW CAMPAIGN PITCH

in the spirit of the regular person campaigns...

start with jeff goldblooms voice over.... "so some of you think that the G5 isn't the world's fastest....here's our argument" and then you can do a lot of people saying I definitely think the G5 is the fastest computer I've ever used....blah blah blah

and its all computer programmers and designers and photographers *cough* *cough* and whoever else PLUS bring back ellen feiss.

my 2 cents.

fenlyn

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2003
Atlanta
geoffreyMB said:
in the spirit of the regular person campaigns...

start with jeff goldblooms voice over.... "so some of you think that the G5 isn't the world's fastest....here's our argument" and then you can do a lot of people saying I definitely think the G5 is the fastest computer I've ever used....blah blah blah

and its all computer programmers and designers and photographers *cough* *cough* and whoever else PLUS bring back ellen feiss.

my 2 cents.

Hmmm... Jeff Goldblum overload on Apple's part if that was the case. One ID4 Powerbook ad, two iMac ads, AND a G5? Well, if the man really needs the work, I say good for him. ;) Although, I will never forgive him for "The Fly."

xhost_plus

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2004
Reno, NV
Dells Benchmarks???

Does anyone have any information on benchmarks done by Dell comparing it to the G5?? I have yet to find any.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Glad to see the BBB is spending it's times on worth while causes! I mean heaven forbid an unsuspecting person ending up with a G5! That would be horrible! :rolleyes: Glad to see Dell is there to protect the everyday joe from the big bad Apple!

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i always thought the claim was kind silly

"worlds fastest computer"

just sounds hoky anyway

smllpx

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2004
Not a big deal... maybe apple will focus on all the other great things about their systems instead of just this one questionable statement (i.e. fastest at what? A couple photoshop filters? etc.)

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
it was true when they first started saying it...

it was the fastest personal mass produced computer.

but oh well,
now they just have to do it again.

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
fenlyn said:
Hmmm... Jeff Goldblum overload on Apple's part if that was the case. One ID4 Powerbook ad, two iMac ads, AND a G5? Well, if the man really needs the work, I say good for him. ;) Although, I will never forgive him for "The Fly."

Say what u want about "the Fly" but Ian Malcolm is my personal hero! :p

Sorry, but I can't get enough Goldblum, he's one of my favorite actors.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Wanna bet that Michael Dell is getting back at Apple for HP choosing the iPod instead of the Dell DJ? I find this funny, mabey Apple can submit a complaint to the BBB about how Dell isn't the cheapest nor the most easy to use.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I hate to say it, but I agree. Not because I don't believe Apple's claims, but because the "World's ____est" slogan on all their stuff is getting pretty annoying! IMHO. :)

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
The G5 used to be able to claim it was the fastest...maybe the day it came out. But since then, Intel and AMD has outperformed again.

Even at 3ghz, the G5 may not even be the fastest.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
If you are slowest in most tests, you deserve to be spanked when you claim to be fastest. The only numbers that back Apple up are theirs. Many have tested these things - including Mac sites I write for - and they have never been able to conclusively state Apple is fastest.

G5 made Apple competitive - and that was enough. We Apple users have lived without speed for so long.

There were lots of better angles to leverage in selling these things. Stuff that matters to people.

This is total small penis syndrome.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Apple is full of itself, just look at MacAddict or MacWorld magazines and they admit its not the fastest. Apple spins a lot of truth instead of just selling us better hardware. reminds me of the Bush administration except with them we are buying lots of hardware if you know what i mean.

dombi

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2003
Haha...this was reported by Dell?????

I guess they got scared...bunch of friggen whimps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.