Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
If you honestly think it, well, that's different. Would read again and recommend to a friend.

Do you not understand grammar? I HONESTLY think that, that is correct usage. Go be a grammar nazi somewhere else if you aren't even going to correct my grammar correctly...

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
This is because the 5C is the 5. It's the same phone only with color plastic. The only reason to get a 5C over the 5 is if you prefer a bright color. Else, the 5 is the same phone. For most iPhone users they already have the iPhone 5 so moving to a 5C would be pointless. The only upgrade for 5 users is the 5S.

As for production, it's easy to see the 5C is easier to produce. The exterior is a simple plastic case whereas the 5S is more design specific.

not exactly. bigger battery and better front facing camera

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Hello, pot? This is kettle.

If anybody needs to "dial back the hyperbole", it's the apple user base.

- brand-new
- custom
- state of the art
- groundbreaking
- revolutionary
- innovative
- magical

This is just a small example of the hyperbole and buzz-words spewed forth from the apple fan base on an almost daily basis.

Nothing I said is hyperbole. It is brand-new. It's the first 64-bit mobile chip on the market. And according to Apple, the fingerprint scanner is the state of the art; much more advanced than previous scanners on the market. I didn't inject my statements with anything approaching "magical", what I said is to inform the thread author that he is comparing old tech with new tech. Inventory problems often arise with new tech, be it Intel chips, GPUs, etc.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Touch ID is causing all the constraints, whether it's the sapphire or other constraints it certainly was not an internal decision. If Cook could have had more on launch he would have, now the limited gold at launch, I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't a decision.

Touch ID is the main reason we have not seen the iPad 5 yet, and probably will not until late October, for the most part it was ready some time ago.

There will be constraints on the iPad 5 and the iPhone 5s for a while, not as simple as you think to manufacture 40 million of these high end devices.

The 5c is a much easier process, and materials to make it are already available in quantity.

mytakeontech

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
I have predicted this before and I say this again Apple is open to drop 5C price at least by $100 any time it sees the 5c not selling good. Will see. They are arrogant so won't drop the price soon.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Didn't Macrumors post a rumor from a analyst saying that Apple was having yield issues with the finger-print sensor? That could have been the reason that couldn't make them quick enough and they were in short supply at launch.

Analyst say that kind of crap every product. To cover their butts if they were wrong about the zillions of units that would sell

----------

Touch ID is causing all the constraints, whether it's the sapphire or other constraints it certainly was not an internal decision.

. . .

Touch ID is the main reason we have not seen the iPad 5 yet, and probably will not until late October, for the most part it was ready some time ago.

Says who. Some blog, some analyst, some unnamed and possibly BS spewing fake source in Asia.

Certainly wasn't Tim Cook or anyone else at Apple.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I'm said this before but I'll say it again.

The iPhone 5c isn't intended for users of this forum. Yes, there are those of us here that bought one (me included), but in reality the iPhone 5c is for the "average" iPhone user. The soccer mom or teenager or average person buying a cell phone. The kind of person that doesn't know what "64-bit" means. The kind of person that doesn't watch Apple's Keynotes and likely doesn't even know that Apple makes products outside of the iPhone and iPad.

The iPhone 5c is for them. These are the folks that buy a new phone whenever they need one: Whenever their previous phone breaks, is stolen, or they just decide to get a new one.

The iPhone 5s, meanwhile, is for the Apple fans and tech geeks. The kinds of guys and gals what will sacrifice an entire workday to wait in line to get a new phone. The kind that drools over spec sheets and drop tests and every bar graph and pie chart that they can get their hands on.

These are the folks that buy their phones on the first day. Some will buy a new phone every cycle, some will buy a new phone every two years. But these are the customers that pay attention to tech news and plan their purchases accordingly.

And this is why the 5s is currently sold out but the 5c is still in stock. It's because the folks that want the 5s want it NOW, while the customers that will end up purchasing the 5c likely don't even know it's available yet. They'll buy them as they need them, not just because they want them.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Sales have nothing to do with my point. The 5c is a stupid product and it wasted production space when Apple could have produced more 5s instead of all those 5c

Yeah - it's a failure of a product. Estimates are that it's sold 2m units in a weekend. Total failure!

Production of the 5C hasn't slowed down the 5S production:

- The 5C is using year old components, of which there will likely be stockpiles.
- The 5S is using brand new components - which are, of course, going to take longer to produce.
- Availability isn't going to effect sales that negatively.
- Of course the 5S is going to be more popular. People that buy on day one are likely to want the latest and greatest.

But yeah, have a tantrum on a message board because you can't get one straight away.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
Yeah - it's a failure of a product. Estimates are that it's sold 2m units in a weekend. Total failure!

Production of the 5C hasn't slowed down the 5S production:

- The 5C is using year old components, of which there will likely be stockpiles.
- The 5S is using brand new components - which are, of course, going to take longer to produce.
- Availability isn't going to effect sales that negatively.
- Of course the 5S is going to be more popular. People that buy on day one are likely to want the latest and greatest.

But yeah, have a tantrum on a message board because you can't get one straight away.

Immature much? I have the 5s in my hand right now, I got one on day one

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
The 5C wasn't created for us forum user types/early adopters. It was created as a cheaper alternative that will eventually out-sell the S model over the next 2 years.

I know people who bought the 4 just this year because it was finally cheap enough. Those are the masses and the people Apple wants to sell to.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Swisher,

The is another post from you saying how Apple has messed up.

You do realize they have broken every record for iPhone sales in the last few days.

Sorry but Apple knows better than you!;)

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
When the iPhone 5 was released was it hard to buy a 4S?
No.
How about the 3GS when the 4 came out?
Same story.

People still bought the 4S and 3GS when they were a year old, but they were not as popular as the latest phone.

Apple didn't mess up. You just messed up your logic.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Sales have nothing to do with my point. The 5c is a stupid product and it wasted production space when Apple could have produced more 5s instead of all those 5c

Do you know how misinformed that statement is?

Do you really think Apple has one factory in China that makes both?

How would it waste production space when it wouldn't be in the same factory, most likely that 5s would have taken over the 5 factories production lines, and the 5c would be a new line.

It's an addition, not both in the same factory.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Yes, because having plentiful stock of last year's tech and less of today's tech is something new. :rolleyes:

I can't believe Apple would make such a n00b move like that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.