Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
well i sent them my log file on anJailbreaked device once which officially and technically voids the warranty and they didnt say anything

A jb doesn't void the warranty any more.
That has changed years ago.
They must prove that the software jb caused the hardware failure to deny you service.
[doublepost=1489896514][/doublepost]
You never paid for 2 you only ever paid for 1 extra. You get one with original purchase and another with the purchase of AppleCare+.

Yes but a full year already went by for example at day 362 and you didn't use it or needed it.
So now you have 1 year left to use those 2 instances or AppleCare plus.
And chances are judging from your past use you might not use it at all.
It's all about odds and profit.
Companies don't do things for free obviously unless it benefits them.

Last edited:

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Right - but what if, for example, the screen is cracked or came unglued but the phone functions fine? Won't a 'remote diagnostic' succeed?

Unglued screen may be a 'defect'.

A cracked screen may happen after the fact, yes. But Apple may also run another diagnostic after you file a claim and find out if it indeed suffered any severe G-forces that could have cracked the screen? Just a thought.

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Apple has been doing a few interesting things to its repair programs such as no more off-site training for its 'geniuses' which would increase profits somewhat. But I read recently that in future repairs done on equipment outside of the manufacturer's own repair system will not void warranties, which is a threat to the AppleCare business model.

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Great idea... waiting for it to be available for Australia since I just logged in, it said I was eligible for my iPhone7+ until I changed region to Australia.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
On earlier iPhones and iPads You could put on a knew screen DIY and it'd be a good repair. Good as new. More recent models don't seem to 'take' repairs well before the screen stops responding or has dead patches. I suppose Apple Care is more important now as Apple's junk get's less repairable, less modular, less durable.

giancarlo007

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
In the long run, it's always cheaper to pay WHEN something breaks, not IF something breaks. There's a reason these warranties exist, and it's not to help you.

Agreed, it's a huge source of profit. I've never purchased Apple care and never had an incident, I'm on my third iPhone so practically i have saved the cost of three apple care and only pay for any repair IF something happens.

IMO, is not worth it for something on this price range. Now, car and home insurance on the other hand...

Reactions: Applejuiced

asmat

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2017

A customer that purchases a new iPhone now has up to one year to purchase AppleCare+ for the device, compared to 60 days previously, according to multiple people familiar with the matter. Apple has yet to update the fine print on its website, but MacRumors confirmed the extension with a senior AppleCare advisor.

applecare-plus-iphone.jpg

The change means that AppleCare+ can now be added to an iPhone as long as the device remains within its standard one-year limited warranty period. This brings AppleCare+ for iPhone in line with AppleCare for Mac and Apple TV, which can also be purchased up to one year after those devices are purchased.

The senior advisor said the extension only applies to the iPhone, and it is retroactive, meaning iPhones sold within the past year qualify for AppleCare+ now. Multiple sources insist that the one-year AppleCare+ purchase window applies to the iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch as well, but we cannot confirm this info yet.

Apple's eligibility tool does appear to reflect the change for iPhones in the United States, but not in the United Kingdom, Canada, Hong Kong, or elsewhere, so it is possible the longer purchase window will be U.S. only. "Eligible for AppleCare+" did not appear for an iPad or Apple Watch in any country based on our check.

iphone-7-applecare.jpg

iPhone 7 Plus purchased on September 21, 2016 eligible for AppleCare+

AppleCare+ costs $129 for most iPhones, and $99 for the iPhone SE, and extends an iPhone's warranty coverage to two years from the original purchase date of the device, and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $29 for screen damage, or $99 for any other damage.

AppleCare+ for iPhone also provides 24/7 priority access to AppleCare advisors via chat or phone for up to two years after the device's original purchase date. Without the plan, iPhone owners are covered by a limited one-year warranty and 90 days of complimentary telephone support.

AppleCare+ for iPhone also covers EarPods, Lightning to USB cables, and batteries that retain less than 80 percent of their original capacity.

In order to purchase AppleCare+ after the fact, separately from the iPhone, Apple must physically inspect the device to ensure there is no existing damage. Proof of purchase, such as a receipt, is also required. If purchased online, Apple requires customers to verify their serial number and run a remote diagnostic test.

Article Link: AppleCare+ Can Now be Purchased Up to One Year After Buying an iPhone

dslrjunky

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
dumb question...if I buy the ac+ on the 364th day of my phone purchase does that actually extend the warranty longer? as opposed to buying the plan up front together with the phone? I hope you guys understand the question...Thanks!!

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
dumb question...if I buy the ac+ on the 364th day of my phone purchase does that actually extend the warranty longer? as opposed to buying the plan up front together with the phone? I hope you guys understand the question...Thanks!!
Not a dumb question, however, I am not sure - I was in an Apple Store today and nobody could answer that question; I have a VZW iPhone 6S+ still in the box that I want to sell and I want to be able to add that it's still AC-eligible.

What I can offer is that I have purchased AC for several Macs on "Day 365" (from Amazon, Adorama, B&H), and it was shipped to my designated address. The AC purchase date is the important bit - Apple's honored the date that it was purchased, several times. Buying it from a BB store or Apple Store, they can register it to the device right there, on the spot, just to save you a bit of anxiety! Cheers!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The duration of AppleCare coverage is based on the purchase date of the device. There's no difference in coverage regardless of when you buy AppleCare.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
only problem is Apple backdates the AppleCare+ to your date of purchase
So while it's a good deal it's not as good as it looks

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

No, it doesn't extend it any longer.
Its still covered for 2 years from the day of purchase of the device.

Reactions: AppleScruff1

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
About time Apple extended this. You can do it with Macs, never understood why the iPhone could not benefit the same the same treatment.

Pretty simple.

the mac sits on a desk
the phone is tossed all over the place on a regular basis

When was the last time your mac was outside in the rain? Or sitting in the sun? Or dropped on the floor?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Does it make sense to get AppleCare+ for my iPhone if bought in the US but live in Germany? I guess not, right?
It makes more sense, because having bought in the USA, you are not covered by EU consumer protection laws. Read the details of the contract carefully to make sure it covers you outside the USA just as within the USA.

NRubino

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Has anyone ACTUALLY purchased this online, yet ? Every time I try, I hit buy and then get caught with a blank screen after validating.... Someone who has ACTUALLY bought it, or knows please chime in?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Personally I thought it was consumer law in the UK that you can buy an extended warranty at any time in the first 12 months of ownership from new, plenty of stores offer it. It's nothing special or new that's for sure. But this is good for America where you only seem to get 3 months warranty.
Then again extended warranties can be a rip off and consumer law again protects you.
There is no consumer law right to buy extended warranty at any time other when the seller offers it.

The one thing that EU consumer law says is that Apple (or anyone else) has to tell you exactly what you get when you buy AppleCare, so as a logical consequence they must tell you about EU consumer rights when you buy AppleCare (I think they don't have _to tell you_ when you buy a device, that's your own business).
[doublepost=1490019830][/doublepost]
You also paid for the chance to have accidental damage coverage for two years. Without AppleCare you get none.
I minor detail: If you have EU consumer protection, that works only in your own country. AppleCare will work for example if your phone breaks on a holiday in the USA or Australia if you want your phone fixed there and then, and not when you're back from holiday.
[doublepost=1490020008][/doublepost]
Agreed, it's a huge source of profit. I've never purchased Apple care and never had an incident, I'm on my third iPhone so practically i have saved the cost of three apple care and only pay for any repair IF something happens.

IMO, is not worth it for something on this price range. Now, car and home insurance on the other hand...

Also check the cost of an "out of warranty repair". Worst case, you get a refurbished phone for a lot less than a new one, and you subtract the cost of AppleCare from that, so replacing a phone once isn't very expensive. And since you mention home insurance, your phone will have some protection that way. (My home insurance _did_ buy me a new Mac once; they told me they had to pay for about 200 computers after a thunderstorm with lightning damage).

Last edited:
Reactions: giancarlo007

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Does it make sense to get AppleCare+ for my iPhone if bought in the US but live in Germany? I guess not, right?
EU law I think gives you 2 years anyway...

Not accidental damage, but the rest of it.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Just ball parking.. If I purchased AC for only my Apple products since 2007, it would cost me over $2000. My out of warranty repairs in that time period have been under $500. It's a no brainer for me not to buy it but I understand how insurance works having studied it and know it does not pay in the long term. Others may have had different experiences.
Some people look better after their things than others.

mattcha90

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
Is there any measure in place to prevent people from buying AppleCare+ after accidental damage happened?

Edit: Should have read the article until the end...

If you buy on the website, it has no idea if your phone is already broken.

rhenley

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2015
While this might be the new policy, I find that I cannot purchase Applecare+ online for my USA iPhone in that window of opportunity. All I get using a couple of different browsers on different computers is a blank page after I login to my AppleID to do so, or even when I am logged in and click the Buy button here: https://agreements.apple.com/us/en/sales/

yockster

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
WA
I would so buy into this plan with apple, if they covered lost phones. I hate to pay for apple care, plus fees for breakage, and then pay AT&T 7.00 a month in addition just to cover if the phone gets lost.

giancarlo007

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
Has anyone ACTUALLY purchased this online, yet ? Every time I try, I hit buy and then get caught with a blank screen after validating.... Someone who has ACTUALLY bought it, or knows please chime in?

This was happening before, for my son's device we had to call them and do the validation/purchase via phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.