AppleCare+ Can Now be Purchased Up to One Year After Buying an iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Applejuiced, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A jb doesn't void the warranty any more.
    That has changed years ago.
    They must prove that the software jb caused the hardware failure to deny you service.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 ---
    Yes but a full year already went by for example at day 362 and you didn't use it or needed it.
    So now you have 1 year left to use those 2 instances or AppleCare plus.
    And chances are judging from your past use you might not use it at all.
    It's all about odds and profit.
    Companies don't do things for free obviously unless it benefits them.

2. alexandr macrumors regular

alexandr

interesting, i had no idea this wasn't the case this whole time...

3. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

Unglued screen may be a 'defect'.

A cracked screen may happen after the fact, yes. But Apple may also run another diagnostic after you file a claim and find out if it indeed suffered any severe G-forces that could have cracked the screen? Just a thought.

4. dantroline macrumors regular

dantroline

Apple has been doing a few interesting things to its repair programs such as no more off-site training for its 'geniuses' which would increase profits somewhat. But I read recently that in future repairs done on equipment outside of the manufacturer's own repair system will not void warranties, which is a threat to the AppleCare business model.

5. jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

Great idea... waiting for it to be available for Australia since I just logged in, it said I was eligible for my iPhone7+ until I changed region to Australia.

6. Macist macrumors 6502a

On earlier iPhones and iPads You could put on a knew screen DIY and it'd be a good repair. Good as new. More recent models don't seem to 'take' repairs well before the screen stops responding or has dead patches. I suppose Apple Care is more important now as Apple's junk get's less repairable, less modular, less durable.

7. giancarlo007 macrumors member

Agreed, it's a huge source of profit. I've never purchased Apple care and never had an incident, I'm on my third iPhone so practically i have saved the cost of three apple care and only pay for any repair IF something happens.

IMO, is not worth it for something on this price range. Now, car and home insurance on the other hand...

8. asmat macrumors newbie

asmat

9. dslrjunky macrumors regular

dumb question...if I buy the ac+ on the 364th day of my phone purchase does that actually extend the warranty longer? as opposed to buying the plan up front together with the phone? I hope you guys understand the question...Thanks!!

10. campyguy macrumors 68030

Not a dumb question, however, I am not sure - I was in an Apple Store today and nobody could answer that question; I have a VZW iPhone 6S+ still in the box that I want to sell and I want to be able to add that it's still AC-eligible.

What I can offer is that I have purchased AC for several Macs on "Day 365" (from Amazon, Adorama, B&H), and it was shipped to my designated address. The AC purchase date is the important bit - Apple's honored the date that it was purchased, several times. Buying it from a BB store or Apple Store, they can register it to the device right there, on the spot, just to save you a bit of anxiety! Cheers!

11. chrfr macrumors 603

The duration of AppleCare coverage is based on the purchase date of the device. There's no difference in coverage regardless of when you buy AppleCare.

12. dslrjunky macrumors regular

got it!

13. bushman4 macrumors 68000

only problem is Apple backdates the AppleCare+ to your date of purchase
    So while it's a good deal it's not as good as it looks

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, it doesn't extend it any longer.
    Its still covered for 2 years from the day of purchase of the device.

15. nostresshere macrumors 68020

Pretty simple.

the mac sits on a desk
    the phone is tossed all over the place on a regular basis

When was the last time your mac was outside in the rain? Or sitting in the sun? Or dropped on the floor?

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It makes more sense, because having bought in the USA, you are not covered by EU consumer protection laws. Read the details of the contract carefully to make sure it covers you outside the USA just as within the USA.

17. NRubino macrumors member

Has anyone ACTUALLY purchased this online, yet ? Every time I try, I hit buy and then get caught with a blank screen after validating.... Someone who has ACTUALLY bought it, or knows please chime in?

18. gnasher729, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There is no consumer law right to buy extended warranty at any time other when the seller offers it.

The one thing that EU consumer law says is that Apple (or anyone else) has to tell you exactly what you get when you buy AppleCare, so as a logical consequence they must tell you about EU consumer rights when you buy AppleCare (I think they don't have _to tell you_ when you buy a device, that's your own business).
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 ---
    I minor detail: If you have EU consumer protection, that works only in your own country. AppleCare will work for example if your phone breaks on a holiday in the USA or Australia if you want your phone fixed there and then, and not when you're back from holiday.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 ---
    Also check the cost of an "out of warranty repair". Worst case, you get a refurbished phone for a lot less than a new one, and you subtract the cost of AppleCare from that, so replacing a phone once isn't very expensive. And since you mention home insurance, your phone will have some protection that way. (My home insurance _did_ buy me a new Mac once; they told me they had to pay for about 200 computers after a thunderstorm with lightning damage).

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

EU law I think gives you 2 years anyway...

Not accidental damage, but the rest of it.

20. itsmilo macrumors 6502

itsmilo

"Bought in the US" ;)

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Some people look better after their things than others.

22. mattcha90 macrumors newbie

If you buy on the website, it has no idea if your phone is already broken.

23. rhenley macrumors newbie

While this might be the new policy, I find that I cannot purchase Applecare+ online for my USA iPhone in that window of opportunity. All I get using a couple of different browsers on different computers is a blank page after I login to my AppleID to do so, or even when I am logged in and click the Buy button here: https://agreements.apple.com/us/en/sales/

24. yockster macrumors newbie

I would so buy into this plan with apple, if they covered lost phones. I hate to pay for apple care, plus fees for breakage, and then pay AT&T 7.00 a month in addition just to cover if the phone gets lost.

25. giancarlo007 macrumors member

This was happening before, for my son's device we had to call them and do the validation/purchase via phone.