Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today's Apple Vision Pro pre-order process unveiled that AppleCare+ for the headset is priced at $499.

applecare-apple-care-banner.jpg

At $499, the Vision Pro's optional support and service plan is one of the costliest available on any Apple device. This is in line with high-end Mac models at a similar price point to the Vision Pro, which costs $3,499.

AppleCare+ for the Vision Pro includes unlimited repairs for accidental damage protection, Apple-certified service and support, Express Replacement Service (the company will ship you a replacement so you don't have to wait for a repair), and 24/7 priority access to "Apple experts."

The pricing of AppleCare+ for the Vision Pro was not clear until pre-orders opened earlier today. The Vision Pro launches in the U.S. on Friday, February 2.

Article Link: AppleCare+ for Vision Pro Headset Costs $499

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SFjohn and japanime

Carac

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
lol, just priced mine out to $4400…just lol

More than I paid for a 4k LG Laser projector and 150“ powered cinema screen. And I can watch more than 2 hours of content on it and no neck pain. And If I need to interact with Apple’s ecosystem I’ve got a iPhone 15 Pro or 12.9” M1 iPad Pro. Or even my Quest 3 with steam link or game pass apps and a mature VR App Store. The first major product launch in 15 years that I’m skipping.

Last edited:

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
This is definitely not the same Apple from decades ago when Steve Jobs was at the helm.

Not saying that's a bad thing; in fact overall Apple is great... but $500 for something you'll statistically never use, WOW.
It could mean that they are expecting a larger degree of hardware faults (or accidents in general) with this new product branch.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
How is it different from the time when Apple was selling their $10,000 Apple Watch? The cost of AppleCare+ wasn't too high at that time, so it doesn't make sense.

Reactions: djphat2000

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I got apple care because the nature of the device is that it might get dropped more, bump into things. The price is pain but my guess is their testing showed it broke more than expected and hopefully in future generations goes down. The AppleCare is about the price of the quest 3? This thing better make us more productive at work....if not a corporate mistake we can live down.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Incredible. That kind of money could buy an Apple Watch or iPad. I wonder if Apple thinks the Vision Pro will be prone to breakage.
They KNOW it will be prone to breakage. It’s like a MBP that has an active position on a face floating in front of your head by a strap. Not in hand, not sat on a gravity defeating flat surface. :)

“Let me try that, Joe!”
“It’s got prescription lenses, Bob.”
“C’mon, I’m not going to break your little…”
“oops”

Reactions: flofixer

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow
This is definitely not the same Apple from decades ago when Steve Jobs was at the helm.

Not saying that's a bad thing; in fact overall Apple is great... but $500 for something you'll statistically never use, WOW.
If you never use it you don’t need to buy it. No problem here

Reactions: RowellE

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012

More than I paid for a 4k LG Laser projector and 150“ powered cinema screen. And I can watch more than 2 hours of content on it and no neck pain. And If I need to interact with Apple’s ecosystem I’ve got a iPhone 15 Pro or 12.9” M1 iPad Pro. Or even my Quest 3 with steam link or game pass apps and a mature VR App Store.
Can you set that up on a plane? I think we are paying for the portability here verses all the extra parts to bring along for the ride.

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow
Definitely a money grab. They know the target audience has deep enough pockets so why not
If the device itself is 3500 then 500 for AppleCare+ is actually cheaper as a percentage of cost of device than on other products like iPhone 15 Pro for example. So no more of a money grab than any other AppleCare+ offering

Reactions: flofixer

Carac

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Can you set that up on a plane? I think we are paying for the portability here verses all the extra parts to bring along for the ride.
No, that would be dumb. There are alternatives for a fraction of the price if you want to look ridiculous on a plane watching a movie on a pair of glasses. I’d say definitely get applecare and a proper case ($200) if you’re throwing it in a carry on…for a flight that’s less than 2 hours unless you pack a other battery for $200 or couple battery bricks or hope your seat has a outlet to plug a pass through power cable into the pack. So $5000 for a tb, apple care, case, extra battery…or 5+ iPad Pros.

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

More than I paid for a 4k LG Laser projector and 150“ powered cinema screen. And I can watch more than 2 hours of content on it and no neck pain. And If I need to interact with Apple’s ecosystem I’ve got a iPhone 15 Pro or 12.9” M1 iPad Pro. Or even my Quest 3 with steam link or game pass apps and a mature VR App Store. The first major product launch in 15 years that I’m skipping.
Get the monthly AppleCare+, look at Post#19.
This way it will not expire on you.

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow
How is it different from the time when Apple was selling their $10,000 Apple Watch? The cost of AppleCare+ wasn't too high at that time, so it doesn't make sense.
Well it makes perfect sense. 15 pro is 999 with App+ at 199 that’s almost 20% of the value. Vision Pro is 3499 with App+ at 499 that’s 14% of the value. So it’s actually more affordable than on some other devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.