AppleCare+ Now Available For Mac With Accidental Damage Coverage

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today introduced AppleCare+ for Mac, an extended warranty plan that provides accidental damage coverage for a service fee. AppleCare+ for Mac is available in the United States and Japan only. In other countries, the standard AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac without accidental damage coverage remains available.

[​IMG]

AppleCare+ extends a Mac's warranty coverage to three years from its original purchase date, and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage. Prices are based in U.S. dollars.

AppleCare+ for Mac also includes 24/7 priority access to Apple experts by chat or phone. It replaces the AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac, which was essentially the same as AppleCare+, but didn't include accidental damage coverage like Apple has long offered for devices like the iPhone and iPad.

AppleCare+ for Mac is available for the 12-inch MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac Pro, and Mac mini for between $99 and $379. The service fees are additional in the event of accidental damage. Prices are between equal and $30 higher than the old AppleCare Protection Plan, which doesn't cover accidental damage.

AppleCare+ can be purchased alongside a new Mac, or customers can buy it online or in store within 60 days of purchasing a Mac.

Article Link: AppleCare+ Now Available For Mac With Accidental Damage Coverage

2. hectorvs macrumors regular

hectorvs

Is this change retroactive? I purchased AppleCare for my MBP early in the year.

3. MallardDuck macrumors 6502

Now that's a big deal, specially since we're going to drop a ton more on the floor without MagSafe.

4. Eliottjames macrumors regular

Eliottjames

I too purchased AppleCare with my 2016 MBP. Won't be happy if it turns out we aren't covered/can't upgrade to accidental damage cover.

5. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Kinda a sad day, IMHO, for that, because previously, all 11" and 13" MacBooks (Air/Pro) were $183 for AppleCare (no damage coverage tho) with the student discount. Now, it's $269 with the student discount.

6. killawat macrumors 65816

Same. Crap.

7. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

I would like to purchase this for my macbook Pro that I got last month, how can I?

8. H.Finch macrumors regular

If they would include a: "If something bad happens to your Mac, you'll get a similar temporary Mac on loan”… I'd get this in a heartbeat...

I still keep finding myself having two Mac's just in case one of them stops working
    (just like my very first Macbook Pro did)... which seems a bit much...

9. chipchen macrumors 6502a

AppleCare is generally refundable anytime. It's also been allowable to purchase anytime within the first year warranty, so I assume you could call in, refund the remaining, and upgrade to the new?

10. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

On the phone figuring it out now. Will post back answer on process.

11. Eliottjames macrumors regular

Eliottjames

Oh cheers, I didn't know that!

Great, let us know when you find out more and I'll phone up and do the same!

12. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

I just purchased the new 15" MBP with the student discount, but I don't see a student discount on the Apple Care? It is $349, there used to be a $110 discount. So I decided to wait on it and add it afterwards. Anyone know if this is intentional or have any info on this?

13. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

It's showing as $379 for me with or without the student discount.

I just tested and it looks like the 13" also doesn't have a discount – it's $269 for the 13", regardless if you're a student or not. Could be a mistake, though?

14. chipchen macrumors 6502a

I heard from an EDU channel person that the new EDU price for 15" MBP is $259, up from $239. This is not yet reflected on the Apple EDU store online... so I hope this comes through.

15. predation macrumors 65816

16. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Process is to refund the coverage that was still on the machine. Then purchase the new agreement at the new terms that include the damage coverage.
    I now have the updated plan that covers accidental damage.

17. nigameash macrumors 6502

Did you purchase your mac in the last 60 days?

18. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

You can add Apple Care within 60 days of purchase. I'm going to wait until my MBP is delivered than I'll try the Apple Store. I'm hoping it's just not updated yet. Also, I hope they announce back to school within 14 days so I can take advantage of that too (free beats or App Store gift card).

19. newyorksole macrumors 68040

20. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Incorrect. You can purchase Apple Care within 12 months of purchasing the device.

"You can buy the AppleCare Protection Plan within one year of the purchase of your device. Learn more about the benefits of the AppleCare Protection Plan for your Mac, Apple Display, or your Apple TV."

21. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

So, am I over looking something on Apples website? Is Old Apple Care gone? I tend to buy my apple care in 11th month of purchasing when I get a new mac of any sort. My MacBook Pro was purchased this past February. Guess I screwed myself. I bet a third party might still have Apple Care

22. Imaguy macrumors newbie

Imaguy

Incorrect. AppleCare is within a year. AppleCare+ is 60 days. Says right under AppleCare+ for Macs.

23. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

However, if you used it they can deduct the cost of repairs from the refund, in most places. Personally, adding in coverage on your homeowners policy or buying acseperatecall risk one seems to be a better deal, since it would cover theft as well.

24. mendelk macrumors newbie

mendelk

So no chance I could get for my MBP Pro 2016 purchased in December?

25. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

Doesn't look like it. Doesn't even look like Apple is offering the old Apple Care for MacBook Pros