Applecare Replacement MBP (new model)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paintballswimgu, Apr 14, 2010.

1. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

I've had problems with my mbp in the past, and applecare told me the next time i send it in for anything i get a replacement one. I have an 07 mbp.

Has anyone called within the past 48 hours, to see which macbook pros they are offering as replacements. My computers barely functioning now

2. TTmac2L macrumors newbie

With applecare,

they are known to be awesome when it comes to replacement machines, so i'd guess you may land up with the a brand new macbook pro with the updated specs.

3. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

they will most likely give you the previous gen if they have any.

4. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Not really.

Theres been plenty of cases where they have given newer ones.

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I know, but since these were just updated yesterday, its pretty likely that the Apple store might still have some of the old ones in the back. they are probably instructed to save money, and since i would assume they would only have to replace it with an 07 model, they would give him the cheapest (oldest) one they have.

6. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I am also 100% certain they will offer you the current (new) MBP. I think it would be more hassle for them with the way their systems work to find an older one--they are not always thinking the way you guys think--the people you talk to aren't worried about Apple losing money or what you deserve or don't deserve, just what the protocol is.

7. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Good point.

8. Jwalker9 macrumors member

I tried this yesterday...the 8600 video card on my 07 SR MBP was confirmed to be faulty by a local 3rd party Apple authorized dealer, so he told me to call apple care and ask for customer relations (I have had numerous issues with this machine). I went home and called, got my call elevated to senior staff, and they politely rejected my request for a replacement. I tried to get some understanding from the respect that I am a medical student who uses my computer every day, especially with my finals and board exams right around the corner, along with the fact that my apple care ends on 6/7/10, but to no avail. They want to try to replace the logic board again and take it from there. I could tell I wasnt going to make any progress with him, so I will try again at the apple store in person, and if that doesnt work, just have them complete another repair.

It irks me that they want 3 of the same repairs in order to qualify for a replacement when I have gone through so many different parts/repairs its not even amusing...just not the same part 3 times. Grrr

Let us know if you have success and if they provide a current machine as a replacement.

9. nconnella macrumors regular

I can confirm they will give you a new one because mine is on the way. Mine suffered from issues and I was authorized a replacement back in February but I've waited until now to order it because of the update. Ordered it the day the update came out and they are giving a top end 15" i7 for my 2.53ghz 08 because I insisted they replace it based on the 512mb graphic card, not the processor. Also paid a $100 difference for high res screen and prorated a refund on my Applecare so I can buy it again and get another 3 years.

10. paintballswimgu thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the replies. I might wait a week or so to call. But i really wouldn't mind getting it sooner than later. I just wanted to see if anyone else was lucky as of late.

11. paintballswimgu thread starter macrumors 6502

thats exactly what i was hoping to hear. I was authorized for replacement in February as well. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow hoping for the same thing. I'm going to push for the base line 15 with the antiglare screen, since thats basically what i have now. I don't really want to push for the 17 inch, just to gain the expresscard. The 17 in. is just to big to carry around school with me.

12. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

My C2D 8600m box started freezing again last weekend. Took it to the repair center that's fixed it twice (logic boards) before to have it tested and it failed. They said just call Apple and they gave me the error code. Called Apple, spoke with level one support who very quickly transferred me to a supervisor to initiate a replacement. This was Tuesday at 2:00pm and they were already giving the CURRENT MODEL as a replacement.

I have a 2.66 i7 15" on the way right now. They let me upgrade to the high res antiglare for the $150 as well.

I could not be happier with the way the thing turned out - 3 year upgrade for $150...

13. Jwalker9 macrumors member

How did you go about getting authorized for a replacement machine? What issues did your 2007 mbp have. It seems crazy how many reports I have read about this batch being very unreliable and problem ridden.
    I have had this one in for
    Case and scree replacement-warped-pixels dying
    optical drive replacement
    airport card replacement
    Weird minor part replacements
    Battery replaced
    logic board replacement
    Case replacement-warped again
    New Clamshell screen/top case and optical drive replacement
    and I have a current problem of:
    With lid closed, the mag safe light goes off, and the computer cycles on and off at intermittent times (also cycles on immediately when magsafe is plugged in to the machine).
    and most recently-video problems, took it in to find out that video card has died and the logic board needs replacing.

I am so disappointed in this thing, and i just know its going to konk out when my applecare expires in june. Any advice?

14. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Push for a replacement like the OP :)

15. Jwalker9 macrumors member

Thats what makes me mad...About a year ago, I was told by Peach Mac that if we had any more issues, that we should be eligible for a replacement..then I had an electrical problem that made the thing turn on with the case closed when pressure was applied to the right side of the computer (like in my case), i asked for a replacement, but they just offered to fix it by replacing the clamshell and topcase. I had a case going on my current electrical issue for 2 months now, and was waiting to send it in after my board exams...but now with the video card failing and logic board needing to be replaced, if i let them repair it, it will probably fix both current problems and I will be back to a clean slate.
    I spoke to a supervisor yesterday as well, and pushed as well as I know how to, but no dice for me. Is it worth calling in again, or should I try asking in store?

16. paintballswimgu thread starter macrumors 6502

i edited your quote for what i was going to answer. Hope thats ok. It looks like you should be able to get a replacement. But heres what happened to me

Well... In early january. i got a new pair of really really expensive in ear monitors. JH 13's if any of you know what those are. I plugged them into my laptop because i didn't have an external sound card at the time. I then noticed that my laptop sound card makes this evil hissing noise, with the headphones, i then tested it and it makes it through anything that is plugged into it. (not just the new headphones) I had never noticed since i always use optical out. So i sent it to apple.

The first time, they replaced:
    Logic Board
    Left In/out
    GPU (they said it would fail if they didn't replace it)
    Harddrive
    some other random stuff, a fan as well i believe

4 days after i got it back, it started doing that again, and it wouldn't reformat the new hard drive or burn cds, so off it went to apple. They replaced:
    Logic board
    GPU (they once again told me it was an affected unit...)
    superdrive
    left in/out
    harddrive

So i got the computer back, and the 2nd new hard drive clicks like crazy, and the sound is still terrible. lol. So i called and told them i had lost faith in my computer surviving, if after 4 days they had to replace over $1000 in computer parts (if i had to pay for it), how was this computer supposed to last me my last year of college. yada yada yada. so they told me to call and ship it back to them when i finish my semester of college, (i couldn't give up my laptop at the time), and they would send me a replacement.

17. paintballswimgu thread starter macrumors 6502

it never hurts to call again. Just tell them the problems are getting worse, and you just don't think its going to last as long as it should

18. Jwalker9 macrumors member

thanks for the info. I will try calling again tomorrow morning, and if that doesnt work, will see a genius to to see if they give a different answer. I need to wait to get it repaired it they wont replace it, but I also want to have time left on my warranty in case anything else goes wrong with it after a repair potentially takes place. Will keep you guys posted.

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If you need more munitions, repaired components come with a 90 day warranty or , of course, last for the remainder of your Applecare; whichever is longer. .

20. Jwalker9 macrumors member

Welp, it paid to call and talk to another Senior advisor. I used the same explanation of why I was requesting a new machine, and without fighting me one bit, they granted my request and now I have to send in my current lemon for a new 2.4 i5 unibody. Didnt bother to fight them on which one to replace it with, although I was hoping for the mid-level, but I'm just thrilled to have a new, reliable machine on its way. Thanks guys!:D:apple:

21. paintballswimgu thread starter macrumors 6502

I just got off the phone with apple as well. I love them. They offered to replace with the 17 in, without me even asking, but i turned them down. The size of the 17 in. just isn't practical for me to carry to classes. So i got the baseline i5 15 in. with hi res antiglare, a remote, and a duel link dvi adapter. :) I opted for advanced replacement service as well. :)

22. Jwalker9 macrumors member

Good stuff! i didnt get juiced up with any of those other goodies, but I don't really need them either. a new 1800 machine is plenty to satisfy me for the next 3 years. Will be buying apple care again, of course.

23. Guitar geek macrumors newbie

Just curious, what number are you guys all calling to get replacements? Whenever I call, I just get someone who just tells me to send it in, or have it checked out physically at the Apple Store. Perhaps I need to ask to get moved up to speak with someone else?

24. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

Apple's system would only allow them to give the most current model as a replacement. When they get updated hardware, the older ones automatically get discounted by a certain dollar figure (something nominal like $50 if im not mistaken) making it ineligible as a replacement unit.

25. ChristWolves macrumors regular

Lucky you! I got my high-end Early-2008 MBP (with 512mb nVidia 8600M GT) replaced to only a base model of Arrandale 15" (due to another hard drive failure after being replaced with a new one three days later) because they argue that this base model is A LOT better than my current Early-2008 model. I told them about the graphics, but they don't care but keep insisting that this base model is better than my Early-2008 OR just replace the the hard drive again.
    I have no choice, but just get the base model and pay additional £80 for the Hi-Res screen (as I don't like the grey bezel on the anti-glares). :mad:

P/S: Luckily Apple updates their MBP. If not, I will get the base model of the previous model (with only integrated graphics)!! :mad::mad::mad: