Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
that’s good. So you get a total of 4 accidental damage protection? Will it cover bent iPads?
Maybe more if you have monthly AC+? But I want to know if they do it:

A) 12 months clock starts at first claim
B) 12 months is from purchase date

Reactions: Mc0

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
Right here ;) For those of us who don't upgrade annually, who still believe that an $800 phone should last 3+ years, the cords don't last. They yellow, they fray, they break. I don't have a drawer of unused chargers, especially given Apple's reduction in quality and their sales ploy of frequently changing power configurations.

Frequently changing power configurations? Lightning port was introduced with the iPhone 5 back in September of 2012. It’s been 8 years. You can still charge your iPhone with a 5W brick (extremely slow) although with the advancements in technology the 12W USB charger or the *new* 20W USB-C charger can charge your iOS devices at a faster rate which support a wide range of the ecosystem excluding MacBooks.
USB-C to Lightning cable is an amazing add on to support not only faster charging but also faster data transfer if you need to backup your iOS device using a computer.
Keep in mind, the USB-C to Lightning cable turns your iPad Pro/new iPad Air into a portable battery - so you can also charge your iPhone and AirPods on the go - a feature that has come in handy multiple times for me personally.

FYI - if you purchase Apple Care with your new iOS device, the brick and the charging cable are also covered for up to two years. Even if you do not purchase Apple Care, you can still get your brick and the cable exchanged once a year (manufacturer’s warranty.) So theoretically, with your proof of purchase, you‘d pay $0 out of pocket and get them swapped out once a year throughout your ownership if they were to ever go bad on you.

Cheers!

Reactions: Ntombi

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Wondering if this is due to less claims due to people being home more, so less of a chance to break it on hard floors/roads/sidewalks and same reason gives less of a chance of losing/stolen. And maybe wraps in with the AirTags coming. Maybe Apple will use the tracking system to detect fraud.

zilchfox

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Atlanta, GA
that’s good. So you get a total of 4 accidental damage protection? Will it cover bent iPads?
Total of 4 if for two years, yep, but if you're on monthly payments, it's just 2 per year for as long as you pay for it. Wonderful deal! There was almost no reason at all to keep doing monthly payments if you already used up your two incidents!

Reactions: Mc0

Dan Menssen

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2020
Made an account to post this after spending an hour and 40 minutes on the phone with Apple support.

It seems that the support reps are not well informed of this policy, but the final conclusion is that it DOES NOT apply retroactively.

I have a broken iPhone 10s, with AppleCare+ expiring on 9/20, and I have used my two Apple Care incidents, but only one of them was in the second 12 months of the plan.

So I just called to inquire. The first guy acted like they COULD get it replaced, and we went through the whole process of removing it from Find My iPhone etc, and when I finally get the email to put my credit card info in to pay the deductible and the return deposit, it's obvious that it's actually having me pay the $549 non-warranty replacement fee, instead of the deductible.

At this point I get transferred to a supervisor. She gets on the phone with their policy people, and confirms that the policy change ONLY applies to plans that began on or after September 15th.

(I mentioned that if she had any ability to give feedback, she should communicate that their PR people need to contact macrumors, the verge, et. al. to correct the fact pretty much everybody right now is speculating that it's retroactive, to which she said "we will be sure to do that" in the tone of voice that actually means "please hang up sir.")

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
that's great.

where are all the people who are saying "Apple got rid of the 5W charger to iNcReAsE pRoFitS?!?!"?
You really think Apple improved the value of AppleCare+ just to be nice? More like - too many people were choosing not to buy it, so they want to increase their profits of this massively profitable addon by increasing sales of it.

canned_tuna_og

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2020
chargers don’t break. dont know why you’re commenting on the durability of wires which is completely off topic to both what i’m saying and this article.
Boo, splitting hairs about wires vs charging block. But I do respect your desire to maintain your post discussion.

canned_tuna_og

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2020
My homeowner’s has a $1,000 deductible and doesn’t cover accidental damage, or loss. Theft, yes, after the $1,000 deductible.

Also, if you make a claim, how much will your premiums increase, and for how many years? That’s a good thing to know in advance, before submitting a claim. Ask your agent first.
No deductible, no increase. My policy offers up to $2500 liability for accidental damage or theft at home or in car. If laptop is discontinued, cash value of purchase price minus depreciation. Will also cover accidentals incurred to a guest's laptop if I was the negligent party.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
You really think Apple improved the value of AppleCare+ just to be nice? More like - too many people were choosing not to buy it, so they want to increase their profits of this massively profitable addon by increasing sales of it.

No, don't put words in my mouth.

There's a difference between "too many people were choosing not to buy it" vs "Apple is increasing its target sales of AppleCare+".

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
No deductible, no increase. My policy offers up to $2500 liability for accidental damage or theft at home or in car. If laptop is discontinued, cash value of purchase price minus depreciation. Will also cover accidentals incurred to a guest's laptop if I was the negligent party.
That’s great you have that policy. It sounds fantastic!

But am I being too cynical to suggest that if you actually used that coverage as you could Apple’s—for instance four times in two years—you might find Progressive choosing to terminate your business relationship come renewal time?

For others out there, be aware that insurance companies share your claims history with all of their fellow competitors. Should you need to go out into the open market with a record of frequent claims, you may well discover that you are unable to obtain coverage at a rate you would be comfortable paying.

The more conservative companies won’t even offer you the coverage. They’ll exclude certain types of losses, or you’ll be ineligible for a policy altogether based on their underwriting guidelines.

There’s a reason many homeowners choose to take care of smaller claims (under a few thousand maybe?) and save their claims for losses they can’t self-insure for. btw I’m only referencing the US market, I have no idea how things work anywhere else ?

Last edited:
Reactions: canned_tuna_og

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Because they might raise your rates when you make a claim. We’ve incurred storm damages before that we decided to pay out of pocket for, rather than filing a claim. Because there was a very concerning possibility that our rates would have gone up too high (considering the increase would be going years into our future of owning that home) to make it worth filing a claim for a relatively modest amount we could afford to cover ourselves. I know it probably isn’t that way for everyone. I think such a risk depends on where you live and your age and all sorts of other factors, as well as what company you’re insured with.
Ah i see. Makes senses.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
This is great news. It really adds value to AppleCare+ coverage. Honestly, one use of it usually pays for itself. Why not get it?? Maybe you’re very careful with your devices, but what happens when 3 year old Timmy gets a hold of it?

I am VERY careful with my devices: in thirteen years of owning iPhones, I’ve cracked the screen once. Any other problems have been happenstance (a speaker becoming crackly, for example), not my fault.

But I don’t use a case on my iPhone, so it’s possible something could happen that never has before.

And iPhones (and Apple Watches) are expensive, and if something serious were to happen that needed a full replacement, that’s money I don’t have. Regardless of the fact that I rarely take advantage of it, AppleCare + is worth it to me.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Boo, splitting hairs about wires vs charging block. But I do respect your desire to maintain your post discussion.
But they are completely different things.

Charging cables suck, it’s true. They’re ridiculously built, and they fray and fail too quickly and too often. But the charging block is a different story. Those are durable, and can and do last for many years. Also, they aren’t proprietary, and many people plug their cables into all different manner of charging blocks/wall sockets/car chargers/surge protectors. I know I have some form of them in every room of the house, plus my car.

Apple is still sending the cable with the Apple Watch charging puck, which is the part that’s unique to the Apple Watch.

So your entire argument in that reply is moot.

• Disagree
Reactions: canned_tuna_og

canned_tuna_og

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2020
Frequently changing power configurations? Lightning port was introduced with the iPhone 5 back in September of 2012. It’s been 8 years. You can still charge your iPhone with a 5W brick (extremely slow) although with the advancements in technology the 12W USB charger or the *new* 20W USB-C charger can charge your iOS devices at a faster rate which support a wide range of the ecosystem excluding MacBooks.
USB-C to Lightning cable is an amazing add on to support not only faster charging but also faster data transfer if you need to backup your iOS device using a computer.
Keep in mind, the USB-C to Lightning cable turns your iPad Pro/new iPad Air into a portable battery - so you can also charge your iPhone and AirPods on the go - a feature that has come in handy multiple times for me personally.

FYI - if you purchase Apple Care with your new iOS device, the brick and the charging cable are also covered for up to two years. Even if you do not purchase Apple Care, you can still get your brick and the cable exchanged once a year (manufacturer’s warranty.) So theoretically, with your proof of purchase, you‘d pay $0 out of pocket and get them swapped out once a year throughout your ownership if they were to ever go bad on you.

Cheers!

e.g., My MacBook, phone, and iPad use different power configurations. That's not simple. That's not within the Jobs' Apple ethos.

Interesting note about iPad's shared charging capability. Thx for the tip.

canned_tuna_og

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2020
But they are completely different things.

Charging cables suck, it’s true. They’re ridiculously built, and they fray and fail too quickly and too often. But the charging block is a different story. Those are durable, and can and do last for many years. Also, they aren’t proprietary, and many people plug their cables into all different manner of charging blocks/wall sockets/car chargers/surge protectors. I know I have some form of them in every room of the house, plus my car.

Apple is still sending the cable with the Apple Watch charging puck, which is the part that’s unique to the Apple Watch.

So your entire argument in that reply is moot.
Lol, "your entire argument in that reply is moot" and "it's true" don't gel.

• Haha

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Lol, "your entire argument in that reply is moot" and "it's true" don't gel.

They do, because your point wasn’t relevant. You can say a true thing and still be irrelevant.

If there’s an argument about the color of moose, and someone chimes in with the correct color of deer, they can be simultaneously correct and irrelevant.

Dude, just take the L.

canned_tuna_og

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2020
They do, because your point wasn’t relevant. You can say a true thing and still be irrelevant.

If there’s an argument about the color of moose, and someone chimes in with the correct color of deer, they can be simultaneously correct and irrelevant.

Dude, just take the L.
You: "..your point wasn't relevant," also, "..the color of moose.." lol!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.