AppleCare why bother?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davewolfs, Oct 6, 2012.

1. davewolfs macrumors regular

Normal warranty repairs can be extended by your credit card.

I'm sure there will be an option to replace your screen. I know my friend had their screen replaced on a 4 for $89. So what is the point of AppleCare if your cc company doubles your warranty anyways?

2. hdalien macrumors member

I was awfully glad I had it when I accidentally went swimming with my iPhone in my pocket...

3. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

People like you should definitely have it. :)

4. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Not everybody uses a CC

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Aside from the extended coverage for phone problems and breakage (with Applecare+), for those who need tech support, Applecare extends Phone Tech Support from 3 months to 2 years.

After the first three months of free tech support, each call costs $50. Of course, one can schlep to the Apple Store for help, and for someone who never needs tech support I guess it's not a service worth paying for.

I just mention it as an additional point in deciding whether to get Applecare or not.

6. urkel macrumors 68030

Collecting claims isn't always easy or 100%. An since most people who buy high end gear then they usually won't grumble to pay $100 for the convenience and guaranteed support of Apple.

7. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

No point in it for me. The manufacturer's 1 year warranty is good enough. I've never cracked a screen on any phone I've owned and don't get them wet either. If there's a problem with the device itself, Apple Store was always willing to replace it for free.

8. xraytech macrumors 68020

Not everyone buys with a Credit Card and not every Credit Card has a extended warranty program. :D

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

That's what I like to see...absolute confidence in the impossibility of an accident or any unexpected event!

That pretty much takes care of the entire insurance industry!!

:rolleyes: :D

BTW: I'm not as sure as you are that the Apple Store will just replace your phone for free any time or under any circumstances. But I'm sure nothing can ever happen to your phone and that Apple will always give you a new phone... no matter what. I'm also absolutely sure that the Easter Bunny will leave me some nifty chocolate eggs.:rolleyes:

10. gtmac macrumors 6502a

CC extended warranty and insurance is a great back up but a pain to collect. For me the $99 was piece of mind and honestly on a 64 gig phone not a lot of money.

11. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I am with Mr Hill. Never dropped and damaged a phone, never needed Apple technical support:rolleyes: and see no need in paying the extra. With the money I have saved by NOT buying AppleCare on all of my devices, if the worst happens, I will just go and buy another and I would STILL be ahead.

If you are the type person who drops their phone on a regular basis and there are plenty here, I would say the extra expense is likely worth it.

Not for me.

12. scootaru macrumors 6502

Many people buy AppleCare+ because they are afraid they might drop their phone and break the screen, but they don't realize they can get their screen replaced for less than the cost of the plan and deductibles.

The real value in the AppleCare+ plan comes from the extended warranty and phone replacement due to a complete loss accident, however, Apple has been pretty good about working with out of warranty devices and I wonder if AppleCare+ is really worth it.

13. kerrikins macrumors 65816

There's no guarantee that a year from now Apple will still be 'pretty good' about working with out of warranty devices, so I'd rather have the peace of mind than not. I've been lucky so far, true, but if I ever drop my phone or crack the screen, I know that I have a way to replace it easily.

14. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

The situation with my iPhone 4 was a bit different from those where there is accidental damage.
    One day, about 14 months into my ownership of my 4, it just died.
    Took it into an Apple Store.
    DOA.
    The video card had somehow disconnected from the motherboard- or something like that. Bottom line- the data was still there, but the phone was toast.
    I didn't have Apple Care. So the best they could do was sell me a lower capacity iPhone 4 for a reduced price OR I could use my upgrade and get a 4s.
    I chose the latter.
    If I had purchased Apple Care, I would have received a full replacement at a much lower cost and not had to blow my upgrade on a 4s.
    Just something to think about when considering whether Apple Care is worth it or not.

15. davewolfs thread starter macrumors regular

If you bought with an Amex they probably would have paid for the repair.

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Or $150 with AC+

18. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

Applecare+ so I can get a brand new replacement every year since I tend to go swimming every time I feel like I want a fresh replacement for personal use or resale use ;)

Furthermore in the second year it is easy to get a free replacement under applecare due to issues like mushy home button, wifi dropping signal or bluetooth, battery life. I will swap it out for free and resale the phone as unlocked 16gb BRAND NEW REPLACEMENT. Also I do not use the included accessories in the box and use my own accessories. The phone has front and back protectors along with otterbox commuter case. This all ensures I get top dollar for all my phones when time to upgrade. I have no contracts and only pay $42.xx per month for unlimited min, text and 2gb HSPA+ @6.99mbps. I upgrade and flip phones when ever my heart desires.

19. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Cash is king credit is for those without cash

20. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

My credit card does not have coverage for purchases as you pointed out and many others do not as well.

"I rather have (AppleCare +) it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it"

21. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Not everyone needs insurance. The one year warranty is really all I need. I just had my 4S replaced for free, for a problem I was having with it. Now I have a brand new 4S after 11 months of owning the other one. And I don't have an upgrade till 8/2013, so now I have a brand new 4S until then.

I am freakishly careful with my phone. If I am anywhere near water, sand, I will leave it at home, or in my car, somehow away from the elements. When I go out and have some drinks with friends, I usually leave it at home if I plan on getting trashed. I don't use it as an mp3 player, so I don't exercise with it. There are many things that I do to avoid my phone ever being put in danger.

Do accidents happen? Sure. But some people really don't need insurance.

Is it good to have in case? You bet. I guess I like to walk on the wild side.

22. ogs123 macrumors member

You can't get and maintain credit without a constant and reliable source of cash. For most people credit is just a convenience, so you don't have to carry large amounts of cash, don't have to always make sure that you procure enough cash for all your purchases, smooth your cash flow, etc

23. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Simply put, it's an additional option.

If my CC company decides not to pay, how many hours will I spend arguing?

After 2 hours of my time is spent... The $99 has paid for itself for AppleCare+.

If the CC company pays, great! I won't burn one of my + instances.

It's additional insurance.

24. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Let me put it this way... I will PayPal you $99 right now to get AppleCare +. All I ask is you come back here and admit it was worth it the first time you use it.

25. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer