AppleCare+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheLondonFella, Oct 18, 2014.

1. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

Who took out AppleCare+ for their iPhone 6 or 6+?

Also, if you've had AppleCare+ for a previous iPhone, has it ever "saved" you?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yes on my 6+ 64GB - first time

Using no case or a very thin case because of the phone size already. Was the first time I thought the cost of device (normally got the 16GB version) and possible damage related to no case / thin case warranted coverage.

3. Polo2883 macrumors regular

If you have apple care + the genius bar tends to bend the rules.

They will sometimes do replacements for free if the genius is in a good mood.

4. Management macrumors member

I've never done it for the past 3 iPhones but did so for the iPhone 6.

Also took it out on my iPad mini retina as it was more expensive. Had a crack on the screen but haven't used the exchange yet.

5. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

Never had AppleCare for any other of my previous devices but got it for my Plus. Good to just have a piece of mind. Because I don't like to use bulky cases even though I'm super careful and anal about my phone. Money well spend imo.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Nope, never had AppleCare on any iPhone/iPad. Always have it on Macs though.

7. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Never had apple care+ but I did get it this time for my 6+

8. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

I just got off of the phone with Apple.

Bought it.

It's great value, when you think about it.

I imagine a battery replacement would cost the price of AppleCare+ alone? No doubt in year two you'll need one, so that covers the price there & then.

I also go to gym most days, and run on the days that I don't, so there's a nightmare waiting to happen there.

Plus warranty for an extra year, as well as telephone support, in addition to the 2 accidental damage "safety nets".

Can't go wrong ...

I had AppleCare for my iMac, and had a hard drive and a screen replaced, so that was well worth the money.

I think the old saying "it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" is so appropriate on this occasion.

Also, I had to return one of my 6s (was for someone else) because of dead pixels, but the courier failed to turn up on the booked day. I spoke with Apple and they refunded £60 back into my account for the inconvenience!

Therefore, AppleCare+ has only cost me £19!

You've got to love Apple's customer service ...

9. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Got AppleCare+ for my 6+ replacement to 5s. Had AppleCare+ on the 5s as well, never had reason to use it. I got refund of 5s AppleCare+ since I sold the 5s. I feel the extra protection was worth the $55 I spent for the 13 months of coverage.

$1000 device needs some insurance, my take on it is $179 for new device is worth it. It's a personal choice we each can make. No right or wrong answer to this.

10. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

Never had AppleCare for any of my other apple devices but decided to get it this time round.

11. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

Purchased AppleCare+ for my iPhone 6 Plus. I tend to not use a case and wanted the extra protection in case of drops and such. I did buy an Apple leather case to use until I got use to the size of the 6 Plus. I had AppleCare+ for my 5 but not my 5S, which I dropped and just scuffed a corner. It kinda off annoyed me at times due to a sharp edge. So, I purchased AppleCare+ mostly for the $79 replacement if something like a screen crack or dented corners happen. Like somebody else stated Apple Genius sometimes have a better outlook if they see you have AppleCare when dealing with issues and replacements

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not a good idea to assume this. AC+ (as well as the standard warranty) will replace the battery if it won't hold at least 50% charge but that's more of an indication of a defective battery as healthy batteries don't diminish that greatly in a two years' time.

13. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

I absolutely did AppleCare+

Fist, I've known people who went with carrier warranties, and also the one that Best Buy provides through Best Buy Mobile. They keep sending her defective refurbs.

For me, I always buy AppleCare+ and never use it. I know a couple people who have, and they had a hassle-free experience.

Like the OP, I go to the gym, run and do some biking. I've never broken an iPhone, but I think theres a chance I will at some point so I go for it. Its pretty affordable protection and the service is top notch.

14. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Is the replacement a brand new one or is it a refurb that apple care + give.

15. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

I was wondering how difficult it is to get a refund for AppleCare+ when you upgrade. What's the process like?

16. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I always get AppleCare on devices I will use a lot. There's no reason not to when you're only paying a hundred more on top of what is already very expensive. I believe in protecting investments so I'll always err on the side of caution when it comes to AppleCare.

I never purchase warranties or other insurances because they are mostly scammy, and only Apple makes it as easy as it is. Just walk in, swap, and go. I don't know of any other warranty service that offers that sort of experience.

Not to mention that I've always managed to use my AppleCare on something I bought it on: particularly MacBooks and iPads. A lot of my exchanges have been as simple as "the screen is wearing down", and they have replaced no problem.

17. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I've gotten Apple Care on my last 2 phones. I tend to keep my phones for 2 years and as they are all over the place - have more of a risk of falling and getting damaged. So far I'm happy to say I haven't had to use the AppleCare but I feel better having the protection so I can use my phone with a slim case and not worry about it.

I don't take AppleCare on my iPads as I tend to use them sitting down and there's less risk for a damaging drop.

18. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Either call or go online, I called the AppleCare+ service number and asked to cancel balance of insurance. They checked if I had used it, and refunded the balance to my original charge card within a couple days got email verifying the credit to my card. That's it. Not sure if they refund if you had a replacement claim.

You can also transfer balance to new owner. I would have but person I sold phone to wouldn't pay me $45 more. Dumb really as they could have replaced the phone twice over next 11 months for $79 each replacementnt.

19. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I'm also thinking about getting AppleCare plus. This is My first iPhone and I want some sort of insurnace, since I spent almost $1000. I have a zagg glass screen on it and a UAG case. I usually keep my phones for a year or slightly longer. I do wish there was some sort of coverage for lost or stolen. I would be willing to pay more that too. We have 60 days from the date purchase to add AppleCare plus.

20. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

I've gotten it in the past but not so sure I'll get it this time around. I've never so much as scuffed my iPhone, and I get a year of regular Applecare anyway...

Should've gone with T-Mobile JUMP so I could just daisy-chain Applecare for every yearly upgrade. Oh well.

21. Lifetimechaldo macrumors member

Never have and never will. And I don't use a case either. Im careful with my stuff. In the 2 years I had an iPhone 5 I think I dropped it a total of 3 times, no harm done.

I don't see why people would pay an extra $100, and then another $79 on top of that to get there phone replaced when getting your phone replaced w/o applecare+ is only $250

22. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I got Apple Care for my 4 because I broke my 3GS & didn't have insurance. Afterwards I got it for my iPad 3. Ultimately I didn't need it for either device though I went caseless for my iPad & iphone.

I did get it for my 6+ 128 gb cuz the device is hella expensive & I will go caseless once I'm used to it.

23. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

Decided to buy Apple Care+ for my iPhone 6 64GB as I've damaged my iPhones in the past and then had to pay £150+ to get it sorted.

Had the Apple Care cover on my iMac and had excellent service over the phone when i had issues.

24. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Just added it today (bought phone on 9/20). Never had it before, but I've always thought I probably should purchase it. So this time I did.

25. sjperformance macrumors 6502

I did for the first time ever on my 6+. Because of the bigger screen and cost of replacement. Great piece of mind.