Apple's 2018 iPhones Continue to Ship With 5W Power Adapter

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Despite rumors suggesting Apple's 2018 iPhones might ship with an 18W adapter and a Lightning to USB-C cable to enable fast charging right out of the box, that didn't end up being the case.

The iPhone XS, XS Max, and iPhone XR ship with the same standard 5W Power Adapter that's traditionally included with iPhone models. The three devices also include a standard Lightning to USB-A cable, despite the fact that Apple's current Mac lineup has been transitioned to USB-C.

[​IMG]

Those who want to use fast charging on the new 2018 iPhones will continue to need to purchase an 18W+ power adapter and a USB-C to Lightning cable.

There are plenty of third-party 18W+ power adapters on the market (or you can get a 30W MacBook charger from Apple for $49), but Apple sells the only certified Lightning to USB-C cable at this time. Apple is planning to let other manufacturers make these cables, but third-party USB-C to Lightning cables aren't expected until next year.

With fast charging, iPhone models are able to charge to 50 percent battery life in a 30 minute time span. iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR all support fast charging.

Article Link: Apple's 2018 iPhones Continue to Ship With 5W Power Adapter

2. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

3. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

Wow, the same 5W since 2007 on the newest biggest bestest battery in an iPhone ever. Courage.

4. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Guess that rumor turned out to be fake then

5. elhungarian macrumors 6502

elhungarian

I don’t mind having a slower charger included as standar, as the normal charge cycle happens overnight and the slower you charge the better the charge. That still holds true for lipos too up to a certain point. The bummer is that any extra charger to fast charge from Apple is overpriced. Thank goodness for Anker.

6. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

These bigger batteries are going to take even longer to charge. At a minimum the charger should be USB-C, even if they keep it at a lower wattage, so that it can work with the two year old MacBook Pros and newer. If that 18W leak was real, it's probably for the iPad, but if that thing exists then they could surely up the iPhone version to 7-10W in a small power cube which would be better than nothing.

7. RoobyRoobyRoo macrumors member

Personally I don't need a faster charger because all my charging happens overnight or while I'm commuting, but this is getting silly. Apple, just bump up the charger. Come on.

8. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

I use multi-port Anker chargers anyway. For $1,100, I would have hoped they included a freakin highspeed charger, though.

9. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

This isn't cool. Apple really needs to move on from these chargers and, ultimately, USB C everywhere. A year ago, it felt like it might be too soon to abandon lightning and force people to move. This year, it feels like it's getting late.

10. aylk macrumors regular

aylk

11. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

12. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

LOOOOOOOOOL

Guess Tim needs those moneys. Even funnier than when Steve Jobs said the 2010 MBP had "killer graphics" (GeForce 320)

13. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

I think the main reason they continue to include a USB-A to lightning cable is that 99% of the places you can plug a phone to charge "in the wild" are USB-A.

When have you ever seen USB-C charging ports in the wild? Hell, I see USB-A charging ports more often than I see 120V power outlets.

As a new iPhone owner, I'm going to want a USB-A to lightning cable, MINIMUM.

14. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

15. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors 6502

iKnowMr.Jobs

Yep. Anker is the savior of all things adapter and charging related. Can't wait for them to put out an MFi certified USB-C to lightning cable so I don't have to shell out for Apple's dinky and overpriced one. Battery life and charging has never been an issue with my iPhone X, but I would like to have a usb-c cable regardless.

16. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

This is so dumb. Why can't they get a 10W smaller like this? Is there a science reason or is it just Apple being lazy?

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Neither, its all about the $.

18. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Wow, another nice middle finger from Apple. Wonder how many days it'll take the iPhone Excess Max to charge.

19. dabocx macrumors member

dabocx

Batteries keep getting bigger and bigger and the charger stays the same.

We should have at least gotten the Ipad 12watt this time.

20. masterleep macrumors newbie

masterleep

Pretty annoying cable / port options. I wish the phone itself was USB-C.

21. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

22. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Why bother including a charger in the box when it's only 5W and the cable can't even plug into any Mac that Apple currently sell?

Seriously, they should have just removed the charger and said "And it works with your old iPhone charger or you can buy a fast charger."

23. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

Come on be fair....how else will they become the world's first 2 trillion dollar company? :p