Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone XS, XS Max, and iPhone XR are the first iPhones to support T-Mobile's 600 MHz LTE spectrum (aka Band 71), according to T-Mobile CEO John Legere.

Band 71 is listed as a supported option on the Tech Specs pages for both the iPhone XS and the iPhone XR. Apple additionally says its new devices support the most LTE bands ever in an iPhone.

iphonexsxsmax-800x663.jpg

T-Mobile purchased the 600 MHz spectrum in an FCC auction in April 2017 and shortly after announced plans to use the spectrum to improve its network in rural America.

By the time T-Mobile announced its plans for the rollout of the 600 MHz spectrum, the hardware for the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and 8 Plus was already secured, giving Apple no time to build in support.

T-Mobile in August 2017 activated the first 600 MHz site in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and has since expanded it to 1,254 cities across 36 states, including Puerto Rico, which means many T-Mobile customers who purchase the iPhone XS, XS Max, or XR will benefit from the improved coverage.

iphonexsltebands-800x352.jpg

According to T-Mobile, the 600 MHz spectrum adds increased building penetration and covers greater distances. When used in metro areas, it improves in-building coverage, and in rural areas, it improves the company's LTE footprint.

Of course we're going to carry the new iPhones!! BEST PART?! They are the first iPhones ever to INCLUDE our 600MHz Extended Range LTE!! That means your new #iPhone will have the best coverage and network experience of any @TMobile iPhone, EVER! #AppleEvent - John Legere (@JohnLegere) September 12, 2018
Other smartphones that offer 600 MHz support include the LG G7 Thin Q, the Samsung Galaxy S9, and the Samsung Galaxy Note 9.

Article Link: Apple's 2018 iPhones Support T-Mobile's 600MHz LTE Spectrum for Improved LTE Performance

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Although T-Mobile is wildly boasting limited 5G availability by early 2019, it will probably take at least a couple of years for (1) 5G is deployed in wider locations, (2) T-Mobile and Sprint completes the merger and figure out how to merge their spectrums, and (3) chipset and antennas become small, reliable, and energy efficient.

So in many ways, 2018 iPhones are THE iPhones to get for T-Mobile.

It's too bad they are being so stingy with promos. $300 toward trading in iPhone 6 or later, which is great for those with 6 and 6S, but hardly generous for 7 and later.

dms_91

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Would this make it worth upgrading from the iPhone X on T-Mobile? Also would you stay on JOD and upgrade or pay off remaining and sell your X and go through Apple?

Reactions: spiddyman007

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Would this make it worth upgrading from the iPhone X on T-Mobile? Also would you stay on JOD and upgrade or pay off remaining and sell your X and go through Apple?

Right now depending on where you are 4x4 mimo and 256 QAM can make a huge difference in LTE performance and it will only get better overtime as T-Mobile expands there low band. So yes it could make it worth the upgrade.

This goes for the other carriers as well.

spiddyman007

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2017

The iPhone XS, XS Max, and iPhone XR are the first iPhones to support T-Mobile's 600 MHz LTE spectrum (aka Band 71), according to T-Mobile CEO John Legere.

Band 71 is listed as a supported option on the Tech Specs pages for both the iPhone XS and the iPhone XR. Apple additionally says its new devices support the most LTE bands ever in an iPhone.

T-Mobile purchased the 600 MHz spectrum in an FCC auction in April 2017 and shortly after announced plans to use the spectrum to improve its network in rural America.

By the time T-Mobile announced its plans for the rollout of the 600 MHz spectrum, the hardware for the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and 8 Plus was already secured, giving Apple no time to build in support.

T-Mobile in August 2017 activated the first 600 MHz site in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and has since expanded it to 1,254 cities across 36 states, including Puerto Rico, which means many T-Mobile customers who purchase the iPhone XS, XS Max, or XR will benefit from the improved coverage.

According to T-Mobile, the 600 MHz spectrum adds increased building penetration and covers greater distances. When used in metro areas, it improves in-building coverage, and in rural areas, it improves the company's LTE footprint.

Other smartphones that offer 600 MHz support include the LG G7 Thin Q, the Samsung Galaxy S9, and the Samsung Galaxy Note 9.

Article Link: Apple's 2018 iPhones Support T-Mobile's 600MHz LTE Spectrum for Improved LTE Performance
Would this work through a virtual T-Mobile network like family mobile

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
For anyone who’s in the Los Angeles / Orange County area who’s been able to use 600MHz spectrum, have you noticed any kind of difference?

T-Mobile has been annoying as of late as I’m losing connections for both data and voice on a regular basis. I’ve been thinking of switching over to Verizon and simultaneously getting the Xs Max.

Edit: never mind. I went to the T-Mobile website and found out they haven’t deployed any 600MHz in LA / OC.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatlardo

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Ok, I think I finally found a legit reason to upgrade. I do every year because of the iPhone Upgrade Program, but I probably wouldn’t have otherwise because it’s kinda meh this year. T-Mobile never installed that other spectrum (was it band 12?) in my area, but they installed this band last year. I was kinda disappointed that my iPhone X didn’t support it because the coverage in my basement isn’t great—even with one of those range extenders. And even though I have WiFi caking set up, it will still somehow drop calls because it’s stupid.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
It's too bad they are being so stingy with promos. $300 toward trading in iPhone 6 or later, which is great for those with 6 and 6S, but hardly generous for 7 and later.
It's not generous for the iPhone 7 but considering you can buy a new one for $450, $300 for a 2 year old phone isn't bad.

Reactions: slu

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
I briefly freaked out after not seeing “600 MHz” in the tech specs but then I noticed band 71 was included.

Seeing T-Mobile confirming compatibility is great news!

c2cali

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
In years past I bought the unlocked iPhone outright specifically so it would have the most bands and options for overseas travel. I had a 5 or 6 once that didn’t have as many bands and I was stuck with 3G in Europe even with the European SIM card installed. I think it was a Verizon iPhone. Is this still the case to any degree? Is there any benefit to choosing my iPhone to be Verizon particular versus unlocked? I will probably just buy it outright like always.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
T-Mobile has been annoying as of late as I’m losing connections for both data and voice on a regular basis. I’ve been thinking of switching over to Verizon and simultaneously getting the Xs Max.

I’m in L.A., have been with TMO for years, but I’m thisclose to switching to AT&T (we use them for other stuff) because I’ve had nothing but problems with voice reception lately...

Reactions: FelixDerKater

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011

[doublepost=1536807382][/doublepost]No way! This is definitely great news! And in case you didn't see we also get 4X4 MIMO finally! And by the way checkout the following which shows up when you buy the Tmobile model which is also more good news.

-Mike
[doublepost=1536807572][/doublepost]
In years past I bought the unlocked iPhone outright specifically so it would have the most bands and options for overseas travel. I had a 5 or 6 once that didn’t have as many bands and I was stuck with 3G in Europe even with the European SIM card installed. I think it was a Verizon iPhone. Is this still the case to any degree? Is there any benefit to choosing my iPhone to be Verizon particular versus unlocked? I will probably just buy it outright like always.

Well if you buy the Tmobile version for example you now get this see image.

Mike

Attachments

• image1-2.png
    image1-2.png
    309.5 KB · Views: 281
  • image1-2.png
    image1-2.png
    309.5 KB · Views: 280

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
Will have to get this iPhone now as Tmobile really stepped up with 600mhz over the past year with 1254 cities live with 600mhz. STOCKED!!

I’ll see some huge improvement.
[doublepost=1536815706][/doublepost]
For anyone who’s in the Los Angeles / Orange County area who’s been able to use 600MHz spectrum, have you noticed any kind of difference?

Edit: never mind. I went to the T-Mobile website and found out they haven’t deployed any 600MHz in LA / OC.
I’m in OC and yes I agree with spotty coverage. I really hope that they will fix it soon because this area is so populated and that will be very helpful.

RandoCalrissian9000

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2018

[doublepost=1536817381][/doublepost]600 MHz LTE won’t be launched in the Los Angeles market until 2020, the spectrum hasn’t been vacated by the TV stations broadcasting it.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
T-Mobile reception has gotten better every year since we got it four years ago. We switched because Verizon reception was poor in our area.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
It's not generous for the iPhone 7 but considering you can buy a new one for $450, $300 for a 2 year old phone isn't bad.

True but it’s very stingy compared to other recent promos. A few weeks ago they were offering a $500 trade in credit for the 4 year old Samsung Note 5, for instance, when you upgraded to the Note 9. That makes this make even less sense since the resale value on a 4 year old iPhone is surely more than an old Samsung.

You’d also think they’d want to do as much as they can to get people to upgrade to phones that support this new spectrum since they’ve started to experience congestion issues is large metropolitan areas over the last year or so.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I’m on Mint Mobile (a T-Mobile MVNO) so this is great news, I was hoping Band 71 support would arrive. Have a 6S currently so I can only use 3/5 LTE bands.

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
They removed band 28 tho.

Band 28 is not used in the US. It’s still supported on other models sold overseas where it’s actually used. It is still supported on models used in other countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_frequency_bands

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-xs
[doublepost=1536848030][/doublepost]
Same thing in the NY Metro Area.

Band 71 rollout in the NYC metro area is actually starting within the next few months.
[doublepost=1536848070][/doublepost]
So now what’s Apple’s excuse for not letting us update iOS over cellular?

What does upgrading over cellular have anything to do with the fact this new phone supports band 71?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.