Apple's 2019 256GB MacBook Air Includes Slower SSD Than 2018 Model

lec0rsaire

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2017
It's the same with the new 2019 MBP (vs the old non-touchbar), the SSD for 256GB is somewhat slower. I looked at several youtube tests (running Blackmagic Speed Test) of these models. The new 2019 MBP is around 200-300MB/s slower, so they must have changed something with this line-up.
So are they actually using PCIe 2.0 era NVMe’s like in the 2015 MBPs instead of PCIe 3.0 era NVMe’s?

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
Disk speed only matters if you're copying terabytes of raw data from one drive to another. It doesn't matter during "normal" application mode.
I hope nobody reads this and takes it for truth, Because it's factually incorrect.

Your disk gets a lot more use than you probably realize. everytime you open a program, open a file, save anything. you have disk IO.

now, in your case it sounds like IO is not your bottleneck. Hence why you're seeing no difference in speed regardless of storage. This indicates your likely bottlenecked by CPU, RAM or other bus speeds rather than simple storage IO.

But IO is used more than just "copying files". and claiming as much indicates a significant lack of understanding about the underlying hardware technologies you maybe developing for.

In a previous job I worked in a software development firm. I can safely claim that 90% of the developers might be good at writing code, but almost all of them couldn't tell how a computer actually works, or what each component of a computer is for. as long as the software had the desired output, they were happy.

Reactions: Marekul

nikaru

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
Given the likely target audience for the MacBook Air, this must be **DEVASTATING** news.
Regardless of the target audience of a product, knowing that it is slower machine (in any way or form) is not a good marketing strategy. And it also doesnt send a good message to Apple audience in general.

waquzy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
Since the new line-up I believe the best value MBP 13" is the 2017 model in the refurbstore. For the same price as. the new 2019 base model you get: 256GB SSD upgrade, 16GB RAM upgrade, no Touch Bar, two fans, decent specs, faster SSD and $140 to spare.

Sure that model would have a slower processor but I think it's a more balanced computer for the average persons need.
The MBP 13" 2017 nTB has only a single fan, not 2

mrat93

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2006
[

It is, but that wasn't my point, fact is Apple uses more expensive MLC chips, I myself wouldn't touch TLC, just my preference.
Fair. Do MLC SSDs even cost half as much as Apple charges for them? I was more pointing out how sad it is that people are ecstatic that Apple is finally charging 2014 prices for SSDs.

An m.2 slot would be really nice and practical, but how else would Apple make insane margins on Mac upgrades?

Reactions: Apple Fritter

Dirtfarmer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
Your post makes no sense. If the strategy is better for the stock price, why fire the CEO?
LOL

how about because the purpose of a technology company is not to pump it's stock price by selling old junk to gullible consumers at inflated margins?

That type of shenanigan will help your CEO Compensation Package in the short term but torpedo the company and alienate fans in the long term.

#FIRETHEACCOUNTANT

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Is there a way to make Disk Speed Test (BlackMagic) show the maximum speed and stop, instead of cycling again and again which makes impossible to determine the maximum speed, let alone take a screen capture? It is really frustrating. Thanks.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Darn, at least one benefit for the early adopters last year. Still not happy with the True Tone update just under a year after that long overdue update. But oh well...

Dirtfarmer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
Once upon a time kids, under Jobs, Apple actually used to be something...

These days, every passing hardware release is a stark reminder that Tim “nickel ‘n’ dime, every time” Cook is at the wheel.
It used to be the greatest product company on earth, captained by a visionary who openly said he could care less what the stock did.

Now it is a copycat and a reseller, maker of high budget tv shows, watch straps, and doctor Dre headphones. And bad laptops that are like a cheap Chinese knockoff of the laptop Steve released 12 years ago. (The keyboard doesn't even work for very long. Are you effin kidding me?)

Run by an administrator who could care less how good the product is as long as the stock price stays stratospheric. Which protects his bonuses.

#FIRETHEACCOUNTANT

sirozha

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
LOL

how about because the purpose of a technology company is not to pump it's stock price by selling old junk to gullible consumers at inflated margins?

That type of shenanigan will help your CEO Compensation Package in the short term but torpedo the company and alienate fans in the long term.

#FIRETHEACCOUNTANT
LOL. The purpose of ANY corporation is it to maximize the value of the stock for the shareholders. It doesn’t matter what each corporation specializes in; their purpose is the same across the board.

Now, I agree that Tim Cook should be fired. But my view is that his greed diminishes the stock value for me as the shareholder, not increases it. Just look at the P/E ratio that Amazon is trading at. Consider P/E ratios of Microsoft or Google. AAPL share price should be a few times higher to trade at the same P/E ratios as Google or Microsoft, and it should be 5 times as high to trade at the same P/E ratio as Amazon.

Wall Street are not idiots. They understand that the innovation is out and greed is in at Apple.

mscice

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
its 100$ cheaper.. what you expect? cuts had to be made ..

the camera is also **** on the new air . just like on the 2018 :(

not worth buying

Reactions: Apple Fritter

sirozha

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
its 100$ cheaper.. what you expect? cuts had to be made ..

the camera is also **** on the new air . just like on the 2018 :(

not worth buying
It’s an old person’s Mac. The blurrier the camera, the more one looks like his younger self.

bluecoast

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2017
The target market for the Air are ‘regular people’ who are going to do a bit of web browsing, email, productivity tasks and a little bit of photo & video editing.

They’re not going notice much difference - especially as they’ve upgraded from their slow old MacBook Air to this speedy new machine!

Those who will notice a difference - you need a MBP.

Reactions: CalMin

Dirtfarmer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
LOL. The purpose of ANY corporation is it to maximize the value of the stock for the shareholders. It doesn’t matter what each corporation specializes in; their purpose is the same across the board.

Now, I agree that Tim Cook should be fired. But my view is that his greed diminishes the stock value for me as the shareholder, not increases it. Just look at the P/E ratio that Amazon is trading at. Consider P/E ratios of Microsoft or Google. AAPL share price should be a few times higher to trade at the same P/E ratios as Google or Microsoft, and it should be 5 times as high to trade at the same P/E ratio as Amazon.

Wall Street are not idiots. They understand that the innovation is out and greed is in at Apple.
Wall street has no clue about technology companies. Wall street did not see Amazon, Google, Tesla, Apple, or Salesforce coming.

Those companies' shares all dropped during the periods when they were releasing some of their greatest innovations.

Wall Street also thought that Blackberry and PALM and IBM were going to be the world's standard devices forever. Shares traded at record highs long after each of those companies had stopped changing the world, and were trying to get by on repackaging old ideas from their hayday.

Which is the part of the cycle that the Accountant King has led AAPL to in 2019.

If you maximize price spikes in the short term while sacrificing long term value, have you met your fiduciary duty?

Or have you converted one of the world's most important companies into an elaborate pump-and-dump?

Last edited:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
The read and write speeds of SSD's are overrated. What matters a lot more in real world use is the access times.

Pretty much ANY SSD has access speeds 100 times that of a spinning hard drive, and that's where the real payoff is.

Only if you're copying super large files might you start to see the benefit of crazy fast read/write speeds. And even then, only if you're copying that super large file from and equally fast drive (otherwise the source drive will be the bottleneck).
Who cares? People want faster and better devices. It's pretty obvious that the very first retina Macbook Pro is still a very nice machine for these days and its SATA SSD loads almost everything fast enough.

Reactions: BigBoy2018

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Incorrect, and IOPS is also a misleading measurement that can overstate performance depending on the platform.

Anecdote Time: I had nutanix sales people try and push that the Nutanix platforms 4million or so IOPS meant that no matter what, it was the correct choice for my databases. So I had them provision a top of the line cluster for me to test... Despite having millions of IOPS performance was less than our current spinning rust based server.

The reason is a bit more complicated than average user probably knows or cares, but it evidences that raw benchmark numbers do not always accurate predict performance outcomes

As well, you're partially write about the 4k read/writes. But most day to day computer users are not doing bulk of 4k read/writes, but typically somewhere between larger and smaller hybrid. For example, reading an OS from disk to memory is going to do more consecutive, and sequential reading. Same with the bulk of larger programs loaded off disk. if you swap a lot, you'll get a lot more 4k read/writes. If you do a lot of database work, you'll get that read/writes of 4k.

it always comes down to use cases. but IMHO, if you're paying for top of the line, you best be getting top of the line. Something Apple doesn't seem to be trying to deliver.

SO while you think this was clickbaity (it was), your comments are also fairly innacurate and generalizing of the impact of the slower storage.

but you do bring up one valid point. Sequential read/write isn't the whole story and would love to see if someone could run and post a crystal disk mark run or two of this computer to see what all the reported metrics are.
So you are telling me, based on your anecdote, that Anandtech and several other respectable tech reviewing sites are wrong to use IOPs?

Please enlighten me.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Doesn't seem like a huge deal... anecdotally, people buying MBAs aren't as likely to be working with huge files as people buying MBPs.

I didn't realize the 128GB one was so slow, though. Again, casual users won't care, but that's not much faster than my old external USB 3 drive.
[doublepost=1563208732][/doublepost]
With that machine's added horsepower, I could see that being a more significant area of complaint!
The read and write speeds of SSD's are overrated. What matters a lot more in real world use is the access times.

Pretty much ANY SSD has access speeds 100 times that of a spinning hard drive, and that's where the real payoff is.

Only if you're copying super large files might you start to see the benefit of crazy fast read/write speeds. And even then, only if you're copying that super large file from and equally fast drive (otherwise the source drive will be the bottleneck).
All you guys who own MacBook Air server farms are going to be pissed.
Nice to see logic and brains make a comment for once.
Well done. Had to scroll to the tenth comment to find anyone with sense and perspective. Thought I'd have to make it at least to the second page. Thanks!

Given the likely target audience for the MacBook Air, this must be **DEVASTATING** news.
Hey! I know a couple of people with MacBook Airs, and they're not more obsessed with irrelevant specs than actually doing spec-intensive work. Must be the exception? lol!

Reactions: page404