Apple's 2019 iPhones Won't Adopt Fingerprint on Display Technology

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple doesn't plan to return to fingerprint recognition for biometric authentication features with its 2019 iPhone lineup, according to a new note to investors shared this morning by Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Kuo does not expect Apple's 2019 iPhones to support fingerprint on display technology, which would allow the iPhone to read a fingerprint through its display, doing away with the need for a physical Home button.

[​IMG]

Instead, Apple is likely to continue to use the TrueDepth Camera System for Face ID as a biometric authentication method in the iPhone and other devices.

According to Kuo, Android manufacturers are keen to adopt fingerprint on display technology as a way to differentiate their devices from the iPhone.
    Kuo last year said that Android manufacturers were several years away from matching the iPhone's advanced Face ID technology. Companies like Samsung have adopted facial recognition, but not a secure 3D version like Apple has implemented, which is likely another reason Android manufacturers are focusing on fingerprint on display technology.

[​IMG]

Over the course of the next year, Kuo expects an increasing number of Android manufacturers to adopt fingerprint on display functionality, encouraged by Vivo's implementation and advances in technology that will cut down on component pricing and experience.

By the first half of 2019, Kuo is counting on an uptick in fingerprint on display manufacturers, with "marked improvements for user experience" coming due to an upgrade to a larger aperture lens and ultrasonic fingerprint on display mass production.

Samsung, one of Apple's main competitors, is expected to adopt fingerprint on display technology for its Galaxy S10 during the first quarter of 2019.

Article Link: Apple's 2019 iPhones Won't Adopt Fingerprint on Display Technology

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Apple invested a lot in FaceID. I don't see them moving away from it and only expanding the usage across devices.

3. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

Rather invest that money into making FaceID 10x faster and work in landscape.

4. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

Excited and curious to see the developments of Face ID 2, come Sept 12th.

5. mashdots macrumors newbie

mashdots

While this makes sense, I liked TouchID a lot. Here's hoping for a faster FaceID next week.

6. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Hopefully this means we get to keep 3D touch then. Unless of course Apple plans on implementing some as yet unknown screen tech that would prohibit it.

7. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

8. fokmik macrumors 68020

i hope APple will make faceID even faster and put it on their macbook line and imac....it will be so convenient and so intuitive

9. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

As a man who has hair of variable length, both at the top and at the bottom of the head, I find myself using the passcode screen a lot. It's much vaunted learning capabilities are slightly oversold and the lack of landscape unlock or any degree in between the two is infuriating at times.

Whilst I'm not saying bin FaceID, I wouldn't be 100% sad if Apple did eventually adopt this, even alongside FaceID. Or just improved FaceID to the point I stop whining.

10. Eadfrith macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

11. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

Face ID the future for the next decade ‍♂️

12. GuruZac macrumors 6502

GuruZac

So no surprise. Apple has repeatedly stated Face ID is the future in biometric security. Face ID is significantly more secure than Touch ID. The big grip seems to be the time to unlock the phone and the method needed to unlock your phone since you have to activate the screen, then scan your face, then the phone unlocks. This will only get faster and more accurate so I think any discussion of Apple using FOD will become moot.

13. jaack macrumors member

Luckily in iOS 12 you can add an alternative appearance for situations like this

14. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Face ID works great for me on an iPhone X and I’d never want a return to fingerprint recognition. I’d like to see it adopted across all Apple products.

15. Michael Scrip, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018

Michael Scrip macrumors 603

What's the distance limitation of FaceID?

Let's say I have my iPhone in one of those car-mounts... can it see my face from roughly 24" away?

That's one reason I might not be too keen on abandoning TouchID in future iPhones... now I can just rest my thumb on the fingerprint sensor to unlock it to change songs or whatever.

16. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

honestly who cares?

didn't this guy make a "big deal" out of "moving on" from apple products?

So why are we still hearing from him?

17. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

It's ludicrous that it didn't work in landscape mode on day one.

18. Appleaker, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018

Appleaker macrumors 68020

For those saying claiming that Apple is not interested in display fingerprint sensing, that's completely false. They are still developing it and currently plan to add it sometime in the future, my guess is when yields are suitable, reliability and speed are good, and when they can implement it across the entire display. What is true is that FaceID isn't going away, a future TouchID implementation wouldn't replace FaceID. Some people seem to thing they've ruled it out in favour of FaceID because they positioned it as the future.... What were you expecting them to do?

19. R3k macrumors 6502a

Hopefully they make it more reliable. I still only have maybe a 70% success rate no matter what I do. I'm constantly entering my PIN.

20. Iphtashu Fitz macrumors regular

I've stuck with my iPhone 6 (and touch ID) up to this point but I'll likely upgrade this cycle, and I'm curious as to how it'll fit into my workflow. We use a number of different MFA/2FA authentication systems where I work (Google Auth, Duo Security, Microsoft Auth, and Okta), so I'm fairly regularly unlocking my phone to deal with them. I've currently got my work desk setup so that I put my iPhone sideways on the base of my Macbook which is propped up on an angled laptop stand (I use a full-sized keyboard & monitor at work). It's pretty easy for me to just move my hand a few inches from my keyboard to my iPhone to unlock it & respond to whatever MFA request I have. Hopefully I won't have to keep craning by neck into just the right position for Face ID to unlock the phone for me... I really don't want to have to constantly enter my PIN if Face ID won't work properly...

21. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

On the whole I think it’s great and much prefer it to Touch ID , except when using it with Apple Pay,

22. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Or they may bring it back.... #CallMeAnAnalystToo

23. b0rg macrumors member

I wish it came back, FaceID is not practical at all. When you phone is next you on you desk or on the couch and you want quick look you have to pick it up to unlock.

24. I7guy macrumors P6

Can’t say I’m surprised. Apple will differentiate itself using Face ID while android vendors will clamor to use Touch ID in glass, differentiating themselves even less.

25. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Nope! Next week, Apple plans to introduce...

3D FACE!

You trigger it by moving the phone towards your face at a constant rate of speed.