Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Of course Apple isn't adopting Touch ID under glass in 2019. It takes them at least three years to copy an Android feature.

Looks like I'll be keeping my 6S awhile longer.

Reactions: aylk

notengoojotas

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
Buenos Aires

Apple doesn't plan to return to fingerprint recognition for biometric authentication features with its 2019 iPhone lineup, according to a new note to investors shared this morning by Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Kuo does not expect Apple's 2019 iPhones to support fingerprint on display technology, which would allow the iPhone to read a fingerprint through its display, doing away with the need for a physical Home button.

synapticsclearid.jpg

Instead, Apple is likely to continue to use the TrueDepth Camera System for Face ID as a biometric authentication method in the iPhone and other devices.

According to Kuo, Android manufacturers are keen to adopt fingerprint on display technology as a way to differentiate their devices from the iPhone.Kuo last year said that Android manufacturers were several years away from matching the iPhone's advanced Face ID technology. Companies like Samsung have adopted facial recognition, but not a secure 3D version like Apple has implemented, which is likely another reason Android manufacturers are focusing on fingerprint on display technology.

kuofod.jpg

Over the course of the next year, Kuo expects an increasing number of Android manufacturers to adopt fingerprint on display functionality, encouraged by Vivo's implementation and advances in technology that will cut down on component pricing and experience.

By the first half of 2019, Kuo is counting on an uptick in fingerprint on display manufacturers, with "marked improvements for user experience" coming due to an upgrade to a larger aperture lens and ultrasonic fingerprint on display mass production.

Samsung, one of Apple's main competitors, is expected to adopt fingerprint on display technology for its Galaxy S10 during the first quarter of 2019.

Article Link: Apple's 2019 iPhones Won't Adopt Fingerprint on Display Technology

BREAKING: No MagSafe either.

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
FaceID by far the better experience and I wouldn't want to go back to touchID. When it appears on the iPad, really needs to work in both landscape and portrait, without that I'd have doubts on an iPad. Also, would love it on my MBP. Certainly the better / future technology IMO.

Given that we are still on v1.0 of Face ID and it will only improve, I can't really say that I agree that users will rush to buy an Android device because of Touch ID advances. The only thing FOD gives me is that I can be less precise when I need to open the phone. It's all a bit 'meh' isn't it?

Mitochris

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
What I don’t like about the current home button is that it doesn’t work with gloves. And I’m not talking about Touch ID but the fact that The haptic feedback doesn’t work with non-compatible gloves.
So for me a combination of faceID and tocuhID would be fine.

Reactions: KdParker

rynx9

Suspended
Feb 5, 2018
Massachusetts, USA
I must be one of the paranoid few that cover the front facing camera with a piece of electrical tape. FaceID will not work in my case so I guess I’ll just have to buy an iPhone 7 or 8 when my 6s (that still works just fine) dies. Oh well. :(

Reactions: oldkenobi

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
As a man who has hair of variable length, both at the top and at the bottom of the head, I find myself using the passcode screen a lot. It's much vaunted learning capabilities are slightly oversold and the lack of landscape unlock or any degree in between the two is infuriating at times.

Whilst I'm not saying bin FaceID, I wouldn't be 100% sad if Apple did eventually adopt this, even alongside FaceID. Or just improved FaceID to the point I stop whining.

I don't see how this can be a problem. I'm a man who has a beard of variable length that literally covers my face and Face ID always adapts perfectly. I first registered my face with a full beard, then at some point, shaved my face clean. Face ID didn't skip a beat. I grow it for a couple of weeks and go back to clean shaved. It's never had a problem recognizing me.

To make it even harder on Face ID, I go from wearing glasses to contacts all the time. Again, Face ID knows it's me with or without glasses, with or without a beard, and even with a ball cap or without it. My appearance changes quite a bit. I can't see how hair is going to throw a challenge at Face ID since it pays attention to your face, not your hair.

notengoojotas

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
Buenos Aires
Another example where Design trumps everything at Apple. In this case, security, usability, and functionality all take a hit just so they can have a smooth pane of glass.

I’m with you on usability and functionality. Not on security, they said is a “one in a millon” chance for someone unlocking your iPhone with their face. So it should be more secure than TouchID.

zapm

macrumors member
May 16, 2017
Looks like Apple was right in terms of other tech companies not being able to replicate FaceID. Poor Samsung has to rely on Qualcomm for their fingerprint tech.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I don't mind FaceID. My only complaint is how slow the animation is. It seems to be slower than the FaceID tech, I just want to jump into my app as fast as possible.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The notch will live on forever

I don't think so. Apple has long been studying screens where light sensitive pixels are embedded alongside the RGB pixels making the entire screen a camera. There's also a patent where a camera is set behind a transparent screen and flicking off the screen for a split second allows the camera to capture through.

Apple is going all in with a phone that recognizes its user and its user's expressions. I'm sure they're working on a screen that can eventually take over the Face ID sensors.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
What's the distance limitation of FaceID?

Let's say I have my iPhone in one of those car-mounts... can it see my face from roughly 24" away?

I just tested it at my desk - I was sort of curious, and funny enough I had a tape measure sitting right here - worked in the 22-24" range, through I'm not sure about the effect of different lighting conditions. I think 24" is right near the outer limit, like another few inches (for as much as I could test it) and it stopped working.

Reactions: notengoojotas

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
I’d like to see it across all their products and move away from TouchID. I actually don’t miss the TouchID and find FaceID a lot faster in terms of reaction to gestures, from my experience. I just hope they could do better with the notch design, but it’s not a big deal like some people making it out to be.

If it was that fugly, companies wouldn’t be trampling over each other to copy the Notch.

Reactions: jlozoya and Kaibelf

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
I still have my iPhone 6 and have no problems or complaints in using the Touch ID. Since I don't have or tried out the current iPhones with the Face ID, I'll hold the opinion of Face ID to myself. Since Face ID is new and just came out with the latest iPhones, it would be too soon to say it is more secure than using a single fingerprint. If Apple continued to offer both Touch and Face ID together, I would probably continue to use Touch ID. Again, Face ID is new and I don't think each individual's facial are unique like with fingerprints.

dewski

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
I just wish they wouldn't force passcode requirements for services such as apple pay, and other home kit things. I don't want to have to waste time with a passcode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.