Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wueb

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2021
Wow let's just hope, Apple does not force you to buy a "Pro" device just for the SD card, sounds ridiculous. For most people the power of an Air is more than sufficient. Leaving out the HDMI due to the form factor ok, but people always tend to forget: An SD card slot is a portable, affordable and efficient storage extension, especially for a portable device. With a proper adapter, the microSD card does not stick out, but completely fits/disappears in the MacBook unibody frame. No need for stupid dongles for a permanent storage extension...

Last edited:
Reactions: Warped9

wys

macrumors member
May 31, 2021
Wow let's just hope, Apple does not force you to buy a "Pro" device just for the SD card, sounds ridiculous. For most people the power of an Air is more than sufficient. Leaving out the HDMI due to the form factor ok, but people always tend to forget: An SD card slot is a portable, affordable and efficient storage extension, especially for a portable device. With a proper adapter, the microSD card does not stick out, but completely fits/disappears in the MacBook unibody frame. No need for stupid dongles for a permanent storage extension...
sounds like you should just buy a laptop with more storage? .... Unless this is like your very first computer ever, you should have a pretty decent idea how much you need. To be fair, it is pretty f-ed up that Apple is still offering 256GB and 512GB storage options, 1TB should be the minimum size in TYOOL2022.

that said, I do not really understand what the point of this rumored M2 "upgrade" is. Nothing is actually getting better? An M2 CPU that is marginally faster than the M1 CPU that is already *too fast* for its own good? Aesthetic changes? Granted I do like the look of the new keyboard but thats about it.

My laptop lives on the corner of my desk, plugged in to dongles and monitor, battery life is irrelevant, screen size is not a big deal, the only thing I do is image editing and my 12" MacBook has been mostly adequate for the past 6 years. After comparing the "rumored" M2 to the current M1 MBA, I just do not see the point in waiting for the M2. Absolutely nothing of value is changing. Even the pretty colors are useless because I am just gonna put the laptop in a skin decal the moment it arrives (https://www.decalgirl.com/). I am just gonna pull trigger on a refurb M1 MBA because my 12" MB's keyboard is finally dying, my only regret is that if I had been able to wait until the M2 MBA comes out then maybe the M1 MBA refurb price would have dropped a little more.

The prices on these are honestly kinda ridiculous, $1400 for a M1 with 16GB and 1TB storage. That is **less** than I paid for my 12" MacBook six years ago with its own upgrade to 512GB storage and the 1.2GHz CPU.

lezmace

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
My wishes for MacBook Air or maybe a new "MacBook" without Air:

- Promotion
- 14 Inch - same form factor as the Air or at least more portable than 14 MBP Pro
- same weight or little less
- SD Card Reader
- M2 with a little more GPU Power
- no white bezels

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Even with smaller bezels, a 14 inch MBA or MacBook would likely have a larger footprint than the current model:

MBP 14in:
Width: 12.31 inches (31.26 cm)
Depth: 8.71 inches (22.12 cm)

MBA 13.3in:
Width: 11.97 inches (30.41 cm)
Depth: 8.36 inches (21.24 cm)

Whatever Apple does, I would love to see them retain the current MBA form factor (and color options) and provide periodic processor updates. Kind of like an SE model that they could sell for $899 or there abouts.

Reactions: ASentientBot

yemble

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
I am just gonna pull trigger on a refurb M1 MBA because my 12" MB's keyboard is finally dying, my only regret is that if I had been able to wait until the M2 MBA comes out then maybe the M1 MBA refurb price would have dropped a little more.

The prices on these are honestly kinda ridiculous, $1400 for a M1 with 16GB and 1TB storage. That is **less** than I paid for my 12" MacBook six years ago with its own upgrade to 512GB storage and the 1.2GHz CPU.
Similar situation - I was holding out for the new mba but the keyboard on my old pro finally started to die, forcing a change. Got an M1 Air refurb and it's great. Only annoyance is the dreadful old 720p webcam. The new one would have been ideal but I'm certainly not going to "upgrade" this m1 when the new ones comes out.

Reactions: stinkhorn9

PrimeAesthetic

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2022
Wisconsin
Similar situation - I was holding out for the new mba but the keyboard on my old pro finally started to die, forcing a change. Got an M1 Air refurb and it's great. Only annoyance is the dreadful old 720p webcam. The new one would have been ideal but I'm certainly not going to "upgrade" this m1 when the new ones comes out.
I love my M1 MBA that I got over a year go refurbed from best buy for 750(not including taxes). I like what their doing with the New M2 MBA however it's just not enough for me to swap over as well.......However if they were to put out a 15in MBA then that's a horse of a different color ;)

Reactions: Tozovac

slam5

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
so is it usable? how different is it from the new Macbook Pro? I have some $$ coming back to me and am whether I should buy new or a refurb/used. I've enough for a new one.

PrimeAesthetic

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2022
Wisconsin
so is it usable? how different is it from the new Macbook Pro? I have some $$ coming back to me and am whether I should buy new or a refurb/used. I've enough for a new one.
The M1 MBA that I have from an OBR (open box return) is very usable. More and More apps are slowing being developed for native M1 silicon so you don't need to use the Rosetta emulator (which will help with battery life). I know MS just published their native One Drive app out a week or so ago.
For all of my basic tasks it works Great. I got the cheaper MBA but that's cause I didn't need the huge storage or extra graphics ( I game on my PC and Xbox). I wanted it for a great screen, excellent battery life and if I don't upgrade the laptop I know this one will last several years without any issue like most of my apple devices.
If your looking at the M1 MBA vs the MBP with the M1 Max/Pro chipsets these are very different. The MBP has more ports, much more power in the processor, etc. It all depends on what your needs are. Mine are article reading, writing/typing, youtube watching, etc. The MBA fits that bill nicely for me...I just want a 15in screen but not a deal breaker for me.

AppleHore

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
I really have high expectations for this thing, so I'm hoping there aren't any really stupid drawbacks or trade-offs in the name of cannibalization of the MacBook Pro. Just make a simple, reliable machine that mimics the design of other modern products in the line (like the iMac), have reasonable I/O and a great screen, and my wallet's yours. If you Studio Display this, I'm going to be angry and stay with my MacBook Air M1 for 5 more years. Your choice, Apple. The MacRumors renders shown are pretty much perfect.

kevinhsia

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2022

The next-generation MacBook Air refresh coming in 2022 will see Apple introduce the biggest design update to the MacBook Air since 2010, which is when Apple introduced both 11 and 13-inch models. We're expecting a total overhaul of the look of the machine, and this guide aggregates all of the rumors that we've heard about the update so far.

Design

Apple is doing away with the wedge-shaped design of the MacBook Air, and there will be no tapered look for the next-generation version. Current MacBook Air models are thicker at the back and then taper to a thinner design at the front, but Apple will instead transition to a more MacBook Pro-like design with a uniform shape.

MBA-Mock-White-Front-Blue.jpg

The next MacBook Air will be thinner and lighter than the current version, and it is expected to adopt design elements from both the MacBook Pro and the 24-inch iMac. Rumors indicate that the machine will feature slim off-white bezels and a matching off-white keyboard, with the chassis coming in multiple iMac-like colors.

Apple released the iMac in blue, green, pink, silver, yellow, orange, and purple, and we could see some of the same color options made available for the MacBook Air. This makes sense because the MacBook Air is a fun entry-level machine much like the 24-inch iMac and the colors will set it apart from the higher-end silver and space gray MacBook Pro models.

m1-imac-colors.jpg

Display

Apple introduced a mini-LED display with the MacBook Pro, and the MacBook Air could potentially adopt the same technology, though it's up in the air based on rumors. Display analyst Ross Young says that the MacBook Air will continue to use an LCD display, with Apple reserving mini-LED for more expensive Pro models.

We do not yet know if the display will feature a notch like the MacBook Pro, but it could happen if the bezels are thin enough. That said, a notch might be more noticeable in an off-white color, so Apple may decide not to include one.

The MacBook Air is expected to continue to have a size around 13 inches, but it could be 13.6 inches in size, up from 13.3 inches.

Naming

Leaker Dylandkt has claimed that Apple may once again be planning to drop the "Air" moniker, reverting to the standalone "MacBook" name. It's not clear if this will happen, but it is a possibility as Apple did the same thing in the past with the launch of the now-discontinued 12-inch MacBook. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said that a future 2023 15-inch MacBook modeled after the 13-inch MacBook Air could drop the "Air" moniker, so there could soon be a return to the "MacBook" line.

Keyboard

The MacBook Air's keyboard is expected to be similar to the MacBook Pro keyboard with full-size function keys. With the MacBook Pro, Apple made the entire keyboard black, including the space below the keys. Apple could perhaps do the same thing for the MacBook Air, only in white.

Camera

The next-generation MacBook Air is expected to have the same 1080p camera that's used in the MacBook Pro. It's an improvement over the current 720p camera and enhanced with the image signal processor in Apple's chips, but it isn't as good as the camera quality available from iPhones and iPads.

Ports

While the MacBook Air will feature multiple USB-C/Thunderbolt ports, it is not expected to adopt an SD card slot or an HDMI port, with those options remaining limited to the MacBook Pro to set the two machines apart.

M2 Apple Silicon Chip

Most rumors have suggested that Apple is working on a new "M2" chip for the MacBook Air. The M2 won't be as powerful as the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips that are used in the 2021 MacBook Pro models, but it will be an upgraded version of the lower-power M1 chip.

m2-feature-purple.jpg

The M2 chip is expected to feature the same number of computing cores as the M1 (eight), but it is expected to feature speed improvements that make it marginally faster. It could also have improved graphics with nine or 10 GPU cores, up from seven or eight in the current M1 MacBook Air.

Though we've heard several rumors about the M2 coming to the next MacBook Air, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said that Apple could instead continue to use the M1 chip for the new machine, but a modified version that's more powerful. Other sources disagree with Kuo.

Renders

Leaker Jon Prosser, who has something of a mixed track record when it comes to predicting Apple's plans, has created renderings of the new MacBook Air in a variety of iMac-like colors.

prosser-macbook-air-keyboard.jpg

prosser-macbook-air-green-1.jpg

prosser-macbook-air-colors-stacked.jpg

Release Date

We're expecting the MacBook Air to launch in 2022, but a firm timeline has not yet been established. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects mass production to begin in the late second quarter or early third quarter, suggesting a launch sometime around September, while Bloomberg has suggested the new MacBook Air will come later this year in the fall.

Given Apple's past Mac release history, if the fall timeline is accurate, we could see the MacBook Air come out at an October event that follows the initial September iPhone event.

Apple is already testing a MacBook Air with the M2 chip inside ahead of the machine's launch later this year.

Future MacBook Air Rumors

Rumors suggest that Apple is working on a 15.2-inch MacBook Air model that is set to come out in 2023, though it might not use the "Air" name. The machine will presumably feature a design similar to the 2022 13.6-inch MacBook Air.

Article Link: Apple's 2022 MacBook Air: Everything We Know
I don't know, but this feels like a bad design. On pro models it's basically ok because we have a thicker body and the black notch can really merge into the bezel, but oh boy, white notch and bezel on Air model?? just feels wrong

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I don't know, but this feels like a bad design. On pro models it's basically ok because we have a thicker body and the black notch can really merge into the bezel, but oh boy, white notch and bezel on Air model?? just feels wrong
On one hand, there were rumors about the iPhone X having a white front option kind of like the iPhone 4-8 had, but that obviously never turned out to be true. I was hoping not, because it looked awful in mockups, and I think it looks awful when the white Samsung phones have the little circles on the front surrounded by white plasticy looking bezel. I know it's actually glass, and I know white is the traditional Apple device color, but I just prefer subtler colors for bezels.

On the other hand, it could be that MacBook Air really is going away, and what's coming in the fall is the rumored "MacBook" to take its place in the consumer notebook category. I wouldn't even be shocked if it had an M2 in it and the M1 iMac got a spec bump to M2. I've been going back on YouTube here and there for the last couple of weeks and watching the keynote videos for the first iMac, the first iBook, the first MacBook Pro, etc. What Apple is doing with the Mac lineup and Apple Silicon RIGHT NOW reminds me a lot of those old videos of Steve Jobs cleaning up the Mac lineup with new Intel based products.

I wouldn't be surprised by either of the above, but I think the second one is more likely. They could even keep the M1 Air in the lineup as the "budget" notebook. My point being, iMac/MacBook would be the consumer grade models with the fun colors and white screen bezels (maybe one chassis color would have a black bezel option or something?), MacBook Pro/Mac would keep the muted, more professional colors.

I'm always a fan of neatening the product lines up. This would be a great step in that direction.

solarmon

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
I still cannot forget the (off-)white MacBook I got circa 2008…yellow heat stains and a de-laminated keyboard just after the warranty ran out. Switched to Mac mini.

Now, ready to switch back…and it’s gonna be white? :(
With a notch? :((

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.