Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
The air moniker doesn’t make any sense anymore not on the ipad or the Macbook where you just have two classes of products.

Except there are three classes of iPads. The iPad, iPad Pro, and the iPad Air which slots somewhere in the middle. Four if you count the iPad mini, but that's really just a smaller-screen version of the iPad Air.

docsplendid

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2021
The wedge is what makes the air usable as a laptop. How many coworkers over the years have you seen actually typing on their MacBook Pro at their desk, using the trackpad with a secondary monitor set up? I expect not many due to the terrible ergonomics of the chunky design. The MBP generally ends up on a pedestal with the cover closed, basically no more than a portable desktop that works as a laptop in a pinch. Now the Air is heading in that direction.

Reactions: Miat

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Apple released the iMac in blue, green, pink, silver, yellow, orange, and purple, and we could see some of the same color options made available for the MacBook Air. This makes sense because the MacBook Air is a fun entry-level machine much like the 24-inch iMac and the colors will set it apart from the higher-end silver and space gray MacBook Pro models

At least in my work, Air is a very popular machine given how easy is to transport, to go to meetings, etc.. Not sure how this "Fun" machine will fit there.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Essentially, the M2 is the Mac-specific version of the A15 SoC, but with a different memory controller and 9/10 GPU cores as opposed to 7/8 GPU cores of the M1. I wouldn't be surprised the M2 supports up to 32 GB of RAM, too.

soyazul

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2015
Argentina
My guess is that there will be two MacBook Air Sizes: 12" and 14". these machines will be that way to go for every professional who doesn't need a super computer for his job, but a computer that is a pleasure to use and make your job more enjoyable.

soyazul

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2015
Argentina
The ‘Air’ suffix is outdated and obsolete at this point, especially with everything at Apple more-or-less the same thickness. Dropping it completely will help restore some sanity within the the Mac line up again.

1. MacBook / MacBook Pro
2. iMac / iMac Pro
3. Mac Pro (TBD)
4. Mac Mini / (Mac Mini Pro?)
wrong. As the new MacBook Pro is thicker, and the new macbook air will be thiner and lighter, the name Air will be more relevant than ever...

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
My MacBook circa ~2009 or 2010 was white. It got yellow just before the keyboard de-laminated and it went to computer heaven, with a snap, crackle and poop.
I wonder what caused the yellowing. My 2008 white MacBook never yellowed. My wife still has her 2009 white MacBook, and it hasn't yellowed (although it has been in a dark cabinet for many years).

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Just my two cents, Apple currently offers two Very High Value products:

1.) M1 MacBook Air

2.) 2021 8.3" iPad mini

If the M2 in the Next-Gen MacBook Air gets the same DDR PHY Controller as in the M1 Pro & M1 Max, which I hope but kind of doubt, it would jump into Pole Position !

The M2 MacBook Pro on the other hand, should get it, & would (predictably) jump into Pole Position !
True. I'd expect the M2 to be more efficient and higher per-core performance. But still limited to a few cores so that the Pro/Max chips are ahead.

I really see the low end Air and MacBook Pro models going away. There's not going to be an "M2 MacBook Pro" because that's stupid now. Consolidating back to just MacBook would be a good move. Colors would be a possibility if there was essentially only one chassis involved. Maybe they do Binned M2 chips with some CPU/GPU cores disabled for cheaper models/iPad Pros?

The goal of the device would be no fans and killer battery life, while getting 25% better performance over M1. The rest just sort of fills in the blanks.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
True. I'd expect the M2 to be more efficient and higher per-core performance. But still limited to a few cores so that the Pro/Max chips are ahead.

I really see the low end Air and MacBook Pro models going away. There's not going to be an "M2 MacBook Pro" because that's stupid now. Consolidating back to just MacBook would be a good move. Colors would be a possibility if there was essentially only one chassis involved. Maybe they do Binned M2 chips with some CPU/GPU cores disabled for cheaper models/iPad Pros?

The goal of the device would be no fans and killer battery life, while getting 25% better performance over M1. The rest just sort of fills in the blanks.
I don't think Apple is going to be adding more cores but focus on the ASIC for encoding and then leveraging "x times faster" in canned benchmarks that benefit from their GPUs.

If you can play "within the designated area" expect great things. Everyone else, just get a MacBook Air.

warriors2017

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2017
The ‘Air’ suffix is outdated and obsolete at this point, especially with everything at Apple more-or-less the same thickness. Dropping it completely will help restore some sanity within the the Mac line up again.

1. MacBook / MacBook Pro
2. iMac / iMac Pro
3. Mac Pro (TBD)
4. Mac Mini / (Mac Mini Pro?)

MacBook Air = wedge
MacBook Pro = brick

iPad = good
iPad Air = better
iPad Pro = best

slicktromboner

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2018
I love my base model Air that I got from Costco for $850 and it does 90% of what I need a computer to do, which is why Apple will intentionally kneecap the next gen Air.

They made the M1 Air too good for the money and need to walk it back a bit to herd people to the Pro by doing things like putting in a chintzy plastic bezel or icky white keyboard that will turn out like the old, yellowing Core2Duo MacBooks.

The MacBook Air as it is currently configured is the only affordable MacBook option for most organizations and it looks like a professional machine. Turning it into a kid's computer is going to force companies to either go with PC laptops or pony up the dough for the MBP.

I don't like the new design of the Pro machines, not because of the notch but the huge vents on the side that dig into your palms when handling it. I briefly considered trading in my M1 Air for a base 14-inch MBP, but came to my senses when I realized that the new MBP is an ergonomic hot mess compared to the Air at over double the price. No thanks.

Last edited:

MacNewsOverload

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2016
Please take my money. Ready for any refresh on this great value for the everyday user. One of the most reasonable, practical Apple devices over time.

• Disagree
Reactions: nutjob

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
ugh - apple is married to that notch. i just got my new thinkpad with debian. it isn't that cute but it works like a charm with debian. iphone will go later. i am just to tired to wait and wait...

sorry apple - i left for good.

UsernameAlreadyInUse

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2016
MacBook Air = wedge
MacBook Pro = brick

iPad = good
iPad Air = better
iPad Pro = best
So as long as the MacBook Air is in the shape of a wedge, it can maintain the title of Air? Got it.

In the same manner of brevity, enlighten us on how the iPad Air is more 'Air' than the iPad Pro 11".

UsernameAlreadyInUse

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2016
wrong. As the new MacBook Pro is thicker, and the new macbook air will be thiner and lighter, the name Air will be more relevant than ever...
ANY MacBook released beneath the 'Pro' tier will be thinner and lighter-- this is a given. So by default, they can ALL be considered 'Air'. The question is what would distinguishes a MacBook from a MacBook Air today? Please don't say the wedge...

Last edited:

UsernameAlreadyInUse

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2016
Boy, I have to say... I can live with bezels and a black notch. But WHITE bezels and a WHITE notch? I will make sure to ride out this MacBook design phase entirely.

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
It's the computer I'm waiting for honestly. A perfect writing device, with a better screen, and hopefully (two USB C ports and a MagSafe?) I'm in. I'll take the green or Orange

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.