Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
Unless you often do tasks that take minutes to computer - like video rendering - you would probably need a 2x or more speed improvement to notice any difference.

I wish people stopped buying MacBooks unless Apple finally gives them the option to upgrade storage and RAM on their own. Apple's prices for storage and RAM are an insult to the consumer. Apple basically says "F... you, you do not have any other option, so you have to pay our prices!".

I added 2TB of storage to my windows notebook last year. The price for that storage upgrade was around $120.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Unless you often do tasks that take minutes to computer - like video rendering - you would probably need a 2x or more speed improvement to notice any difference.

I wish people stopped buying MacBooks unless Apple finally gives them the option to upgrade storage and RAM on their own. Apple's prices for storage and RAM are an insult to the consumer. Apple basically says "F... you, you do not have any other option, so you have to pay our prices!".

I added 2TB of storage to my windows notebook last year. The price for that storage upgrade was around $120.
Its not going to happen unless there is some legislation that forces Apple's hand.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Currently have a high spec M1 Max as my 'desktop machine' and use an iPad Pro as my mobile machine.
Considering selling the iPad and getting a MacBook Air instead......

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
For me (24 year Apple (about) everything guy), I need to see much better value on both RAM and SSD upgrades than the current norm. I was ready to buy M2air on launch day until I upped those 2 things to my wants... and the price overran "deals" on M2 MBpros.

This one is going to be up against deals on M3 MBpros and I hope it will be different this time.

I have towards zero expectations of improved relative RAM and SSD upgrade pricing, so I won't hold my breath. But I will be holding my wallet ready to buy or not buy depending on a better value being offered or not. I'd definitely like one of these but not at current RAM & SSD upgrade pricing. So hopefully, Apple will be moved to throw customers a bone this time instead of "more, more, more" for shareholders. Else, my aging MBpro will keep being used until the wheels fall off.

Serious consideration that the next laptop may be a PC is growing... and that would not have even been a thought as recently as 5 years ago.
I went from MacBook to PC for my most recent laptop purchase and have zero regrets. Apple lost me as a customer. Keep in mind I've always liked Windows, anyway.

I've upgraded to 32GB of RAM and a 2TB SSD, costing a combined total of $200. Feels good man.

Know what you're getting into and do your research because there's good computers and bad computers, but I can tell you the water is just fine.

Last edited:

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I am waiting for an OLED version of the MacBook Air to be honest.

PC laptops are better than MacBook Air for this reason and they come with 32GB and 1TB SSD for the same price.

A 5G modem would also be nice, but it seems that Apple wants to keep this exclusive to the iOS devices.

Reactions: Scarrus

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Back in 2018 I bought a 15'' MBP because there was no 15'' MBA at that time (I wanted a MBA, not a MBP, but the display size was more important to me), and considering that the 15'' MBP had a weight of 1.6 kg which was just slightly more than the 1.2 kg of the 13'' MBA, I made the purchase.

I'm very happy with it, although I must say that I really notice the difference between 1.6kg and 1.2kg. I won't be buying the 15'' MBA because it's 1.5kg. I already tried one (M2) at an Apple store, and it really feels like my 15'' MBP.

IMHO, Apple really needs to make the 15'' MBA at least 0.25kg lighter than it is now. I guess it's not going to happen, but that's my only show-stopper at this moment for not buying it.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
That legislation will come sooner or later. Probably before 2027. It starts with interchangeable batteries.

PC OEMs like Lenovo are already moving back to user replaceable parts. I'm not wholly familiar with the engineering of AS, but it seems like it would be hard to separate RAM and SSDs from the SoC to make those components user replaceable. Unless Apple already has something new on their roadmap for future updates that allows it.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
PC OEMs like Lenovo are already moving back to user replaceable parts. I'm not wholly familiar with the engineering of AS, but it seems like it would be hard to separate RAM and SSDs from the SoC to make those components user replaceable. Unless Apple already has something new on their roadmap for future updates that allows it.
Even Apple does not have SSDs on the Soc. And for RAM the EU could force Apple to do expensive solution: Each SoC could be equipped with the most amount of RAM possible. For a fee people could unlock as much RAM as they need, but that fee can't be higher than third party RAM modules would cost.

And even if that is not possible, users should still get the option to add additional RAM modules, even if those are slower. Of course that is a challenge in a slim notebook.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Apple just changed the M3 Pro to 18 GB from 16 GB, because this year they are using a new 6 GB DRAM chip (6 GB x 3 = 18 GB).

So the Airs will likely eventually move to 6 GB x 2 = 12 GB

It's possible the Pro chips will move to 24 GB, because thats an exact double of 12 GB. I just don't think its going to happen for another few years.
Apple should have used this RAM config for the base MBP M3 (and upcoming M3 Air). Would literally have been perfect for the masses, but alas no they just seem obsessed with 8GB on base models.

shinkansenwarrior

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Tokyo
We can safely assume there will be no revolutionary changes to the MB Air and honestly for this device the M2 chipset delivers enough grunt for its intended purpose. The M3 really shines if it is an M3 Max but costs DA BOMB. Apple has priced it out of the park for many. OK the new Air may suit those who's hardware is on the brink of collapsing and looking for a standard mobile unit for presentations, etc. I don't wanna discuss RAM and SSD prices .... Apple may increase them EVEN MORE now they crashed the car project.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Apple just changed the M3 Pro to 18 GB from 16 GB, because this year they are using a new 6 GB DRAM chip (6 GB x 3 = 18 GB).

So the Airs will likely eventually move to 6 GB x 2 = 12 GB

It's possible the Pro chips will move to 24 GB, because thats an exact double of 12 GB. I just don't think its going to happen for another few years.
That was my thoughts this year originally, but was squashed when Apple released the iMac (and introduced a base 14" MBP) with the M3 and still at 8GB.

I get that the 8/256 is still fine for many users (although getting less and less each year) and they want to keep the base price low, the issue I still have is that they haven't bumped up the step up configuration to 16/512 (instead of 8/512) so that regular retailers can stock that configuration. Having to go basically the BTO route to get more than 8GB is ludicrous now.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Having to go basically the BTO route to get more than 8GB is ludicrous now.
Yup. My beef with Apple and RAM is more complex than simply “is 8 GB enough?”

It’s the combination of making 16 GB (an additional 8 GB DRAM chip) cost $200 more…

And that they don’t make 16/512 a retailer partner configuration so you can’t get 16/512 on sale like you can 8/256 and 8/512.

There’s a lot of apparent reasons for that, namely the cacophony of additional money Apple makes when BTO from the store, such as taking out an Apple Card (and the lifetime value of a customer with an Apple Card), adding accessories, adding supplementary products (“Might as well add AirPods Pro 2 to this order”), and the additional profit margin Apple gets from not having applied a retail partner discount of 7% (when sold at Best Buy or whatever).

So that’s why they try to stick to these low defaults.

soyazul

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2015
Argentina
13" and 15" M3 Macbook Airs are the best laptop for everyone by far.

MacBook Air is the perfect machine for regular professional working activities and much more (gaming included).
And I would call the MacBook Pro the perfect machine for Creative professionals and some gaming

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.