Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
what use is $10,000?

it boggles the mind that so many people keep saying this. what's the point in $10,000?! i could never spend that much in the app store!

it's FREE MUSIC, MOVIES, TELLY SHOWS, BOOKS AND APPS FOR YOUR COMPUTER AND PHONE. FOR YOUR ENTIRE LIFE. You will never have to pay for music ever again. that's what use it is.

e: pretty much what the post above me said then :)

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2012
many thanks Fu, I finally registered to the community because of you.

Last edited:

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
To bad it's not a Apple Gift card she can only use it to buy music and apps, Hope she has big enough hard drive to stored all that music and App's

ShiftClick

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Los Angeles
That's a stupid assertion, frankly. One could also say that having about 3x as many citizens as the US makes it more likely that China would have a winner. Of course, if you're one of those people who thinks that only an American should win the contest, then you have other issues.

And your statistic is meaningless, who cares if China has 40 billion people its actual iphone user accounts, which the USA trumps all nations.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
If she's not a big Apple fan she may wish she hadn't won before long... what are the income tax laws in China? In the US you'd have to pay thousands of dollars due to your "winnings"

A gift card isn't taxed until used, you wouldn't have to pay just to use the gift card. You'd be taxed whatever the tax rate is in your area, like where I live it's 6% of every dollar spent and food isn't taxed at all.

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
HAHAHA!! 'Ol Swampy was the winning app, eh? Both of my boys (2 and 4) can't stop playing that one. My oldest is calling for Swampy to get his own Disney flick.

klanse

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
Cali
No. It's an iTunes Gift card; so she can purchase apps/music/movies/books. I don't know about you, but $10,000 to buy music/movies has a lot of use for me.

Nope. There is no music and movies in iTunes store china. Only apps and very limited books.

hetrigger

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Texas
Now she has the card...how long does she have to spend it? She claims to only own an iPhone. Is she going back to the store and buying a computer so she can use that card effectively? Just curious!:confused:

klanse

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
Cali
What she can do is, gift the apps(to someone) in exchange for less amount of the app cost. Get it?

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
If she's not a big Apple fan she may wish she hadn't won before long... what are the income tax laws in China? In the US you'd have to pay thousands of dollars due to your "winnings"

it's not income if it doesn't go into your bank account. That is why people like getting paid cash in hand.

[DL]

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Louisiana
Alright, guys. We get it. It should be a $10,000 Apple Store gift card, yadda yaddo yadda. To me, a $10,000 iTunes card means never having to pay out of my savings for iTunes cards again. It also means finally getting all of those TV Shows I want, heh.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
That's a stupid assertion, frankly. One could also say that having about 3x as many citizens as the US makes it more likely that China would have a winner. Of course, if you're one of those people who thinks that only an American should win the contest, then you have other issues.

all I said was it's a coincidence. they've been doing the contest for years and the winner was never in China.... until now.

idc who wins, just stating that it's a coincidence.

yongren

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2011
Hey, she's from Qingdao! I spent two months there last year. It's a nice place.

$10,000 is a lot of money in China.

badpinoy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
now that i think about it. the $10,000 can be easily spent on iTunes. Most of us would never come close to spending $10,000 on iTunes. But now that you have a gift card all of sudden it is easier to spend the money. Suddenly there is nothing off limits to buy. You would more than likely buy your favorite movie when it comes out on iTunes instead of waiting for a price drop. That $0.99 app that might be useless, but looks interesting all of sudden is an easy purchase. And it doesn't even stop there, now instead of getting the lowest models of iPhones and iPads now you have to get the ones with the largest capacity to store all your useless apps and movies that you watch once in a blue moon.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Nope. There is no music and movies in iTunes store china. Only apps and very limited books.

You missed my point. My point was that it isn't worthless. This person will never need to purchase any software for their Mac or iPhone/iPad (ex. Final Cut Pro, Aperture, OS X Upgrades, iWork etc...).

mq

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
Wirelessly posted

agree it seems odd a winner from China
at this time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.