Apple's $29 Battery Replacement Program Could Lead to 16M Fewer iPhones Sold in 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Act3 macrumors 68000

and tolls, lol. I have family that lives by there so I'll plan the trip and make a visit out of it, but would like to make it one trip, not two

2. sevvere Suspended

sevvere

So ....... Intel situation is a “FLAW” according to Macrumors

But the slowing down of your IPhone intentionally is called “power management issue”

3. JimmyBanks6 macrumors member

JimmyBanks6

That's it? That's the best reply you have? :rolleyes:

Yes, her three year old phone was unusably slow because Apple didn't document it was caused by a battery issue. If the battery was replaced it would have worked fine, that same three year old phone.

4. dav1dd macrumors regular

dav1dd

This fiasco is the xmas gift that keeps on giving -- so many lulz

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Oh good grief. They have no clue. They’re just pulling numbers out of their rear end.

6. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

My iPhone 6 has 99% battery health (1810mAh design, 1800mAh actual) and is not throttling according to Lirum. Runs like absolute ass on the latest iOS.
    The actual problem is the OS has become bloated (natural as hardware gets more powerful). Perhaps apple should tune the OS to adapt to the CPU. But you know...sales.

Not sure how the hell my battery is so good after all this time - but I've never run the phone down to a critical point, I'm sure that helps.

7. mantan macrumors 68000

Of course. Like a lot of other people, I have two iphone 6 users on my family plan who have bad batteries (mother and mother-in-law.) In the old days, I woulda just sucked it up and got them new phones. $29 vs. $699? Neither want or need the new features. Easy decision.

8. Nor10, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

Nor10 macrumors member

Exactly; this is the Apple Conspiracy...I am an iPhone 6 owner...zero issues until the purposeful reduction in performance by Apple to sell more phones...This isn't a Battery issue...this is an Apple Software force to upgrade iPhones by purposely reducing performace; blaming it on battery longevity which Apple since Tim Cook took the helm ever cared about. They shared false facts...sold phones and never cared about customers battery longevity thereafter...so why now so concerned about customer battery performance? They purposely put ****** batteries in the phones?...They purposely are creating end of life 1 to 2 years to for users to upgrade...Seems like a "pre-paid" upgrade program they put in place with companies like AT&T?...How can you ever Trust Apple again...so buy the new 10 iPhone. Next Year you will be in the same position as 6x, 7x users...a cycle that Apple had planned recreate but perhaps now with the outing of their criminal acts the Feds will step in an punish Apple, Apple Executives and send a message to big tech...

9. MattiR, Jan 3, 2018

MattiR macrumors newbie

I read somewhere that, since the release of iOS 10, Apple has cut off access to battery details for third-party apps in the App Store, rendering these apps completely useless as a result. That may be why you're getting a 99% health reading. Try coconutBattery if you have a Mac. My battery's at the 87% mark after 3yr worth of charge cycles (surprising in itself, but not as unrealistic as 99%) and it's actually running relatively well on iOS 11.2.

10. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

You must be new here. Get used to it. Lots here will defend Apple no matter what.

It wouldn't have been so bad if Apple would have been upfront about this, but hiding it is what is upsetting people.

You should play the lottery since you can see the future.

11. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Apple has lost trust and credibility and it's well deserved

12. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Ill-sighted projection based on nothing.

14. ronno macrumors regular

16M phones x $650 average price = $10,400,000,000 in potentially lost sales.

15. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

You must have missed iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G, iOS 7 on the iPhone 4, and iOS 9 on the 4S. You also must not remember OS X 10.0, which was a huge system resource hog on even the newest Macs at the time.

More advanced software is more complex, which means it takes more computing horsepower to run smoothly. There is no grand conspiracy here like so many desperately wish to believe, this is just how things work. I could go on and on about the huge changes MS implemented in Vista, the increased bloat of websites over time, etc...

16. dinggus macrumors 65816

How so? They will just replace the battery.

17. MysteriousStain macrumors member

MysteriousStain

At the foot of a mountain and beside a river
    I was ready to upgrade my 5s but now I don't want to if Apple is putting cr@p batteries in. Sigh, maybe better batteries in 2018 phones?

18. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

$50 discount (from $79 to $29) X 16 million fewer iPhones sold = $800 million in lost battery replacement revenue. Ouch.

19. MrGuder macrumors 68030

If sales go down that much maybe just maybe they will decrease the prices of these new iPhones $1200.00 is just getting ridiculous.

I'm definitely getting my battery changed in my 6s in 2018 for $29.00 and won't be paying $1200.00 for a new iPhone. It's not hard to figure out which is the better deal.

20. sirozha, Jan 3, 2018

sirozha macrumors 6502a

This has a potential of bringing the AAPL stock down significantly, but it's not a given yet.

First off, most iPhone users will never know about this $29 replacement. Secondly, people don't necessarily buy new iPhones because the old ones are slow. They do so because they want a new phone with a better camera and now without the home button and with much smaller bezels.

I think what may happen is that used iPhones may go up in price on the secondary market (e.g. eBay) because those who are wiling to buy used iPhones can bring them back to the original performance level for just $29.

Apple has no choice now but go all in on the new iPhone X design with all of the new iPhones to offer enough reasons for most people to upgrade.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    I don't really understand your math. Sixteen million fewer iPhones times $500 profit per iPhone = $8 billion lost in profits. That's 1/6th of the 2017 net income. REAL OUCH.

21. ronno macrumors regular

I’m guessing you did not read the article? They are supposing that 16M people will switch the battery out instead of buying a new phone.
    Thus the potential lost sales of more than $ 10 billion (had they replaced their phones instead.)

22. rjp1 macrumors regular

I'm curious what the motivation is for this site to continue to try to mislead people.

23. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

based on iOS 7 running on my iPhone 4.

24. GoldenJoe macrumors 6502

Apple throttling their phones could lead to 16M fewer iPhones sold next year.

FTFY

25. ronno macrumors regular

I am pretty sure that the biggest issue is the SIZE of these batteries. In their efforts to make each phone thinner than the last, they kept putting smaller and smaller batteries in the iPhones, and then relying on their magic engineers to somehow make it work.

26. Burger Thing macrumors 6502a

Burger Thing

I really hope that the analysis is true. Apple's management need a wake up call. Rebuild your trust with the customers, start paying taxes outside USA, stop glueing and soldering parts (you know exactly what I mean), drop the ridiculous prices for the iPhones and start throwing some beefier bones again to your loyal long term fan base.

And with fan base I don't mean those known cheerleaders here in the forum who seem to care only for share price and get a hard-on relative to the profit Apple makes. I mean those long term Apple Pro-Mac Mini-MBP-Aperture-Apple Monitor-Fans.