Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luke MacWalker

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2014
For those who still can remember how to do basic math, (1810-1715)/1810*100%=5.2%
So the battery capacity is reduced by just slightly over 5%. It's unlikely anybody will notice a difference without special measurement instruments, and I bet a typical battery loses more capacity in two years than this.
Let's see… Suppose you can use your iPhone for 18 hours on one charge: 5.2% less means 18x60x5.2/100 = 56 minutes less. I bet there are days you would notice!
Maybe other improvements allowed to keep the same autonomy, but I can't help hoping for a much improved battery life… Sometimes I just can't find a power outlet for several days, and I sure wish I could use my iPhone for 3 or more days, even if it means limited calling time and only 2-4 times a day email checks.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Let's see… Suppose you can use your iPhone for 18 hours on one charge: 5.2% less means 18x60x5.2/100 = 56 minutes less. I bet there are days you would notice!
Maybe other improvements allowed to keep the same autonomy, but I can't help hoping for a much improved battery life… Sometimes I just can't find a power outlet for several days, and I sure wish I could use my iPhone for 3 or more days, even if it means limited calling time and only 2-4 times a day email checks.

The phone is rated the same battery life even with a smaller battery because of software efficiencies and chip efficiencies.

So although its less battery, they made up for it and you won't see 56 minutes less.

Last edited:
Reactions: rbrian

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I have a 6+ and I travel every week for work. By the end of a day of travel - navigation, flight apps, lodging apps, texting, phone calls, bookings, etc. my phone is always dead by 5 or 6. I don't think it's realistic to assume that everyone works every day near an outlet and uses their phone lightly to moderately. For some of us, it would be nice to have a battery that is a key feature.
My observation is that no amount will ever be enough for some. Guess you are stuck with acquiring a battery pack charger device.

When I work in my car, which is 2 nights a week, the battery does not last the full 5 hour shift due to gps use. Luckily, I have a cord to compensate.

Reactions: rbrian and doelcm82

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
My observation is that no amount will ever be enough for some. Guess you are stuck with acquiring a battery pack charger device.

When I work in my car, which is 2 nights a week, the battery does not last the full 5 hour shift due to gps use. Luckily, I have a cord to compensate.
Also they inteoduced a battery saving mode with iOS 9 wich gives you several more hours of use

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
It seems that the tactic engine take the place for the batterie... Now again I can't retain myself to imagine a phone with thickness of iPhone 4 and these amazing components of the 6S... The phone will last 2 days...

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I have a 6+ and I travel every week for work. By the end of a day of travel - navigation, flight apps, lodging apps, texting, phone calls, bookings, etc. my phone is always dead by 5 or 6. I don't think it's realistic to assume that everyone works every day near an outlet and uses their phone lightly to moderately. For some of us, it would be nice to have a battery that is a key feature.
Exactly. I rely on my phone a lot during work and I'm on my feet most of the day so I can't really plug in. Battery cases are bulky and hideous and external batteries aren't the best solution either.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
It's not a solution for most users, but I bought a battery pack case for iPhone 6 and haven't looked back. My phone is now a brick, but battery life is something I don't think about anymore. Maybe Apple assumes people that want greater battery life will just do it themselves?

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Not like the 6 and 6 Plus has good battery life to begin with. I guess Apple just has very low standards regarding battery life when 6ish hours is considered as good enuff.
My 6 lasts about 30 hours on typical use.

keifer.street

Contributor
Jul 9, 2013
There's only so much battery efficiency you can squeeze out of the OS. Smaller battery size AWAYS means shorter battery life.

Mark my words - when the reviews are out in hands on use and testing, it will be shown the iPhone 6S has slightly less mileage.

Sure they made the phone slightly thicker - but it clearly had nothing to do with battery life - it was to fit force touch and the Taptic Engine. Apple is dead set on trying to hit the least common denominator in meeting its own standards for device usage times since the last several iPhones.

They have not improved the battery life in the most meaningful way - hours of use. Keeping it the same isn't good enough. We want better.

As an aside, why couldn't they have made it another 0.15mm ticker (than it currently is) to make up for the loss in battery capacity added by the Taptic Engine? Anyone who owns a 6 Plus will tell you, without a doubt, the device is already TOO THIN - with its large screen size and anodized aluminum, it easily slips out of your hand, requiring a case to add thickness and grip. The thickness of the iPhone 5S was perfect - lets go back to that. I don't want to get paper cuts from my phone for crying out loud. This is just thinner for the sake of being thinner. Useless.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Why does the battery capacity always have to be reduced when there are increased software/processing efficiencies? Why does the phone have to be slimmed every other generation rather than increasing or even maintaining battery size?

So frustrating. Let's see some real advances in battery life. Water resistance. Anything more than one random 'feature' per year. I'll pass on the gimmicks.

Ummm actually the phones got thicker in this iteration. Just saying...

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
People complaining about batteries getting smaller and the phones getting too thin fail to realize that this sort of tension is necessary to drive innovation throughout the device. It's how they push themselves to make faster and yet more efficient processors, for example, rather than deciding that they can take resources away from the processor team since the battery is so big they don't need to worry about efficiency.

Everything inside an iPhone is there to strike a balance as it propels the entire device forward.

The battery in the 6s is rated to last the same the 6. So what is anyone really complaining about?

"You make too much sense! So be quiet! Rabble rabble rabble."

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
So although its less battery, they made up for it and you won't see 56 minutes less.

yeah but why couldn't they have left the battery the same and give us 56 mins more?

I see 4K video and a decrease in battery size = not an ideal mix.

I'm waiting for the day when the keynote says, and we have increased battery life to an extra 2 hrs, will this ever happen? Apple listens but not to everything the consumer wants.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I think this whole issue goes away in a year or two tops. For at least 3 years that I know of Apple has been filing patents on solar charged batteries. An article came out just recently now predicting we may see it in the iPhone 7.

Imagine a well-designed solar charged battery in your iPhone - it could be even smaller than it is now and you would virtually never care again because it charges all day. That is the right way to manage this problem for heavy users and with balance for other design considerations.

I can't wait.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
They didn't "have to" reduce battery space. They chose to. Just like when people confuse need and want.

Apple made a decision to not make the iPhone 6s/6s+ any thicker. That is why the reduced battery size. I don't have particular issues with battery length (most phones are around the same and it's completely based on a users use case) but I would never complain about MORE (instead of same) battery life. And also, I would happily trade some thinness for longer battery life.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Luke MacWalker

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2014
I think this whole issue goes away in a year or two tops. For at least 3 years that I know of Apple has been filing patents on solar charged batteries. An article came out just recently now predicting we may see it in the iPhone 7.

Imagine a well-designed solar charged battery in your iPhone - it could be even smaller than it is now and you would virtually never care again because it charges all day. That is the right way to manage this problem for heavy users and with balance for other design considerations.

I can't wait.
Well, considering the current efficiency of solar cells, especially indoors, and the fact that usually your iPhone is in a pocket when you are outdoors, I would not hold my breath about it. Maybe someday they can make it happen, but probably not before many years… Let's hope I'm wrong! ;-)

christek

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
Why does the battery capacity always have to be reduced when there are increased software/processing efficiencies? Why does the phone have to be slimmed every other generation rather than increasing or even maintaining battery size?

So frustrating. Let's see some real advances in battery life. Water resistance. Anything more than one random 'feature' per year. I'll pass on the gimmicks.

Apple probably just give a way for the downstream industries for making apple peels,power banks and other accessories etc.,it is a way to share the market with others who will make a living with apple's product and promote its products freely.

Reactions: unimpressed

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
How is capping the battery life to just under one day helping to 'drive innovation'? I made a post before about how Apple will happily reduce the battery right down to meet the '1 day of usage' quota. Doing the minimum to meet a standard is not innovation -- it's pathetic.

Am I the only one that doesn't care about better GPU capabilities on the iPhone? It seems like we reached the point where the only practical use for the "X times better GPU" on the iPhone is gaming. Case and point: Today's gaming demo with 3D Touch.

When are people that actually want longer lasting phones for professional and recreational guidance going to get Jony/Craig talking about how hard they worked to improve the battery life. Or how hard they worked to make Apple Music usable. Or how hard they worked to simplify stupid half-baked features they added to the software. Heck, even I remember when Apple products just 'worked' and I've only been using Macs as my fulltime computer since '05.

Notice how there's never any dedicated battery page on the top bar? ... But somehow these guys made one for the design of an S series update!? Is this some kinda joke!? Nothing changed. 7000 series aluminum was a side note. The facts about the glass could have easily been planted into the "3D Touch" section.

hPdzCPu.png
What I'm saying, and what I don't think you're getting, is that if they did make the battery last longer it would have to come at the expense of performance, which would never fly with anyone.

Otherwise, to make a phone that gets 2x performance and 2x battery would mean you'd have to make it 2x as bulky and there's just no way anyone is going to go for that. Not Apple. Not the press. Not the majority of consumers. Just a handful of macrumours readers who can't see the forest for the trees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.