Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

091959-ipad_4_2_box.jpg
Research firm IDC today announced the release of its data on worldwide tablet shipments for the fourth quarter of 2010, pegging Apple's share of the market at 73%, down from a 93% share in the third quarter in the face of competitors beginning shipments of their devices. Overall tablet sales more than doubled quarter-to-quarter, moving from 4.5 million in the third quarter to 10.1 million in the fourth quarter.According to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Media Tablet and eReader Tracker, 10.1 million media tablets were shipped in the fourth quarter of 2010 (4Q10) - more than double the 4.5 million shipped in the third quarter. Apple's share came down from 93% in 3Q10 to 73% in 4Q10, but still reflected Apple's strong leadership position. Samsung's Galaxy Tab was the primary competitor in the holiday season, beating other players to market and capturing more than 17% share, while a number of smaller regional players also participated.IDC points to Apple's imminent launch of the iPad 2 as reason to believe that the company will be able to maintain 70-80% market share moving forward. In addition, the firm called demand for the Samsung Galaxy Tab "stifled" by uncompetitive pricing and Apple's momentum, suggesting that a high number of the shipped units moved into the distribution channels without making their way to customers.

Overall, IDC is predicting shipments of roughly 50 million units for 2011.

Article Link: Apple's 4Q 2010 Tablet Market Share Pegged at 73%

trip1ex

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2008
That low? The iPad is like the only real tablet out there. Galaxy did well actually. I guess first competitor advantage.

Anyway let me know many smudges Jobs has on his ipad touchscreen during lunch today. I can't get enough of these updates. I need more.

Red-red

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Shipments being the crucial word here.

Market share of "shipments". Not sales. Shipments. This means absolutely nothing.

Many of these companies are hedging their bets that their iterations will sell like Apple's but if we go buy Samsung's coy comments on their actual sales I'd hazard a guess there's a lot of them sitting around unsold.

xwinger

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Calgary, AB
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah every bestbuy in the US could have bought supplies of the galaxy tab (17% of the market worth) but not sold many, maybe 1 or 2, meanwhile they sell out of the 73% of the market worth of iPads they have in stock.

That would mean that this report is not what it appears to be.

trip1ex

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2008

Market share of "shipments". Not sales. Shipments. This means absolutely nothing.

Many of these companies are hedging their bets that their iterations will sell like Apple's but if we go buy Samsung's coy comments on their actual sales I'd hazard a guess there's a lot of them sitting around unsold.

Good catch. Yeah that's why Samsung has such a high share right now.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Only 1.2B people live in households that have more than a $7.5k yearly income (consumer class of people).

Selling, not only shipping, 50M iPads this year plus the 7M from last year would mean the 57M / 1.2B or roughly 5% of people in these households would have one ... or 1 in every 20.

I just don't buy it ... at all.

edit: as an extension, if one considers 3.5 ppl / household that would be 1.2B / 3.5 ppl = 340M households. Therefore, 57M / 340M household or roughly 20% of households would have an iPad ... I think that's EXTREMELY optimistic.

Last edited:

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

There was another report in January that stated that Samsung sold 2 million units into channel, but it was estimated that less than 800K units actually sold. Even the Samsung CEO made comments in January that sell through was not what they were hoping for,

Honestly, with most people knowing the iPad 2 and the Xoom was coming, I can't imagine why anyone would buy a Tab unless they are just totally uninformed.... and there are a lot of consumers like that out there.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Only 1.2B people live in households that have more than a $7.5k yearly income (consumer class of people).

Selling, not only shipping, 50M iPads this year plus the 7M from last year would mean the 57M / 1.2B or roughly 5% of people in these households would have one ... or 1 in every 20.

edit: as an extension, if one considers 3.5 ppl / household that would be 1.2B / 3.5 ppl = 340M households. Therefore, 57M / 340M household or roughly 20% of households would have an iPad ... I think that's EXTREMELY optimistic.

They didn't mean 50m iPads... read again.. they estimate 50m tablets sold in 2011 and they predict that Apple should maintain about a 70-80% share.

I think the number is realistic. It's a hot product category and the PC shipment numbers are way over that. So why not? You're over analyzing.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
They didn't mean 50m iPads... read again.. they estimate 50m tablets sold in 2011 and they predict that Apple should maintain about a 70-80% share.

I think the number is realistic. It's a hot product category and the PC shipment numbers are way over that. So why not? You're over analyzing.

lol ... i'm doing the analysis the IDC should have. maybe i should become an analyst on the side.

So, you're telling me that 1 in every 5 households over 7.5k USD/year income is going to buy a tablet in 2011?!?!?!?

hahahahahaha ... no way.

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
Just wondering when people start talking about Apple abusing it's position in the market. I guess the question is what is the percentage required?

When they stop other companies from being able to ship computers.

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
I wish tablets interested me. The only new tech things I'm interested in getting right now are the viliv n5 and the superpad from amazon someone posted here.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
whatever

We know that Apple's share can't remain in the 90's cause others will build competing tablets and people will buy them. But a drop to 73% last quarter? I can't believe that's true. Channel stuffing doesn't count.

I've had hands-on with the Samsung Galaxy Tab, and I'll tell you what, it's a pretty dismal experience. Samsung should actually be embarrassed for releasing it. The only actual customers for that thing would be Apple-haters or those who are completely clueless.

So, since the Galaxy Tab was the only shipping true competitor last quarter (that Dell thing doesn't count - it's a PDA), what does that really make Apple's share of the market? If you could evaluate actual purchases, I would wager a drop to maybe 91% from 93%.

timirving

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007

73% of the market..... Not total households making over 7.5K/year.

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
We know that Apple's share can't remain in the 90's cause others will build competing tablets and people will buy them. But a drop to 73% last quarter? I can't believe that's true. Channel stuffing doesn't count.

I've had hands-on with the Samsung Galaxy Tab, and I'll tell you what, it's a pretty dismal experience. Samsung should actually be embarrassed for releasing it. The only actual customers for that thing would be Apple-haters or those who are completely clueless.

So, since the Galaxy Tab was the only shipping true competitor last quarter (that Dell thing doesn't count - it's a PDA), what does that really make Apple's share of the market? If you could evaluate actual purchases, I would wager a drop to maybe 91% from 93%.

I've used a Galaxy Tab and... well, it was very underwhelming for me as well. My PHONE is more responsive than something more than 4x its size? I would've thought they'd include beefier specs... but nope.

Also the Dell Streak, if I read correctly while playing with it at a Best Buy, is running Android 1.6, something my 2009 G1 was upgraded to. Embarassing.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
73% of the market..... Not total households making over 7.5K/year.

You're missing the point.

There are only 1.2 billion people on the planet that live in a household with more than 7500 USD in income. Assume that 3.5 people live in a household ... that makes roughly 1.2B/3.5 = roughly 350 million households that have an income of greater than 7500 USD / year.

I am assuming that households below 7500USD/yr would not spend roughly one month of their income on a tablet.

50M tablets / 350M households = 1 / 7 or roughly 14.3%. If you include last years tablets ... it's roughly 20% of households with a tablet.

1 out of 5 households ... I don't believe it.

I also understand the limitation of my analysis ... households can have more than a single tablet ... I guess that I have a little, actually a tiny, hope that the human race hasn't descended that much into consumerism yet!

The reason I don't believe it is because the tablet still doesn't have a basic function. It's not a utility ... it doesn't replace a phone/TV/kitchen appliance. I just don't think it will reach 20% saturation unless the definition of tablet changes to merge with a phone based item.

It still seems like segway ...great technology with no application. It does however have apple behind it and they do produce some products that are essential (phones, PCs, laptops) that could lure customers in.

Just my .02€

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.