Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's $500 Developer Program Includes Tools and Resources for Transitioning to Apple Silicon, Plus a Loaner A12Z-Based Mac Mini

ictiosapiens

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
I hope this opens the door to running macos on ipad pro. It'll make an ipad pro 11 an amazingly portable laptop/tablet. Dual OS? Yes please!

Reactions: ScreenSavers
Comment

firewood

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
How long will it take for someone to extract the ISO for Big Sur for Arm and port it to another Arm processor? Let's say Microsoft SQ1 or Qualcomm 8CX?

Good luck with that. Apple has an ARM architecture license. That may mean they can modify the ISA to include registers and kernel mode instructions that other ARM processors can’t execute. A lot of other custom IP is probably required for boot or any type of IO.

Comment

mannyvel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
No sane production person is going to buy a first-generation ARM mac for anything except curiosity, so the lack of TB3 isn't going to be a deal breaker for Gen1. Down the road it'll be an issue, because storage and other peripherals are using that bandwidth and they'll need a solution.

Comment

Gasu E.

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I am wondering how companies that produce Thunderbolt devices are supposed to get their software updated when Apple doesn’t have a Thunderbolt ARM device to offer them to develop on?

How many such companies are there? There may be a separate, more focused development program for them. I can tell you, from industry experience, not all developers are treated equal. The program announced today is for developers who don't get the VIP treatment.

Comment

auralux

macrumors demi-god
Mar 7, 2017
How many such companies are there? There may be a separate, more focused development program for them. I can tell you, from industry experience, not all developers are treated equal. The program announced today is for developers who don't get the VIP treatment.
There are a LOT in the professional audio segment!

Comment

Gasu E.

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I am an iOS developer. Does it mean I am not entitled to purchase this if I do not have an existing Mac app?

I hope you mean "eligible". They call this a "transition kit", which suggests it has the purpose of making sure existing applications on the Mac work with this future Mac generation. These programs are expensive to run, and the company makes some effort to make sure the participants really intend to port applications to the Mac. If I were running this program, I would ask why you have not already ported your app to the Mac. It's a valid qualifying criterion.

Comment

Moonjumper

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I hope this opens the door to running macos on ipad pro. It'll make an ipad pro 11 an amazingly portable laptop/tablet. Dual OS? Yes please!
It’s unlikely with the current iPad Pros as even the latest ones only have 6GB RAM. The Developer Transition Kit has 16GB.

Comment

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I doubt they will be on eBay as they must be returned to Apple. I’m sure that if you don’t return it, Apple and the police would be knocking on your door. I don’t think any of the Pentium PowerMacs ended up on eBay.
The police knocking???? LMAO

Comment
Jun 16, 2020
I am an iOS developer. Does it mean I am not entitled to purchase this if I do not have an existing Mac app?

Not every developer will be granted one. They review case by case and don't have enough machines for everyone. Preference is given to people with an existing Mac app that will benefit from the new platform.

If you're not developing for Mac, there's really no purpose in putting down the money for the machine. It won't run any software that hasn't been updated and at this point that's only the built-in macOS apps.

Comment

Tagbert

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Looks like they are discouraging people who just want a developer mac to experiment/mess around with.
I think they need to limit the dev units for this to only serious developers. Hobbyist developers will have to wait until the commercial units ship.

Comment

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Not every developer will be granted one. They review case by case and don't have enough machines for everyone. Preference is given to people with an existing Mac app that will benefit from the new platform.

If you're not developing for Mac, there's really no purpose in putting down the money for the machine. It won't run any software that hasn't been updated and at this point that's only the built-in macOS apps.

My understanding is that all existing iOS apps will just run on the Macs without code change.

Comment

rp2011

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2010
Were all the demos done on the A12Z dev Mac Min? If so that is amazing. Imagine what it could do on a dedicated Mac chip instead of an iPad chip?

Comment

amartinez1660

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2014
I purchased a 16-inch MacBook just a few months ago... How long will Apple provide macOS updates for Intel macs? And will apps developed for Apple Silicon work on Intel macs? Honestly not happy about this transition...
I bought an iMac 2 weeks ago and could still return it tomorrow as the last day (which I won’t, since not even spec bumps were announced)... so I’m in the same “concerned” boat. However all the responses here to your concern are positively hopeful, 5 years at least would make me a happy customer. Still worried that understandably the focus will be on the ARM side of things... bugs, performance tweaks, etc will understandably be done first (if not mostly only barring workaround patches) for the ARM side. Plus all the hardwares addons, coprocessor satellites, hw engines, etc that the Axx chips have that have no equivalent on a x86 architecture means that those features might have to be emulated, meaning it would run slower.
I’m thinking FCPX for example... that “track subject” feature that uses the neural engine, what will the x86 land get? Will we start seeing declining performance as the focus is shifted more and more towards ARM?
I welcome the change though, looks like a potential interesting future where the stalemate we are at CPU wise could come to an end.
[automerge]1592885264[/automerge]
My understanding is that all existing iOS apps will just run on the Macs without code change.
And those Mac apps that haven’t been changed nor updated will auto-magically run too with Rosetta 2

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.