Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
In my experience, they do. The wires seem to tug them out a bit.

Yes - the cord not pulling is huge. For someone who's ears are clearly differently shaped, the Beats 1 version comes with several different size attachments for the earbuds.

Tim Cook commented on an interview that the wires were a major reason as to why they fall out of the users year due to the weight of the cords. After testing this, I completely agree with him. You don't think much about it, until it actually happens. The AirPods help rectify this issue partially and then of course is the appropriate fit for the user being the other half.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I'm pretty sure that AirPods by themselves would be a Fortune 500 company. And I'm beginning to think they would be a Fortune 100 company. I know after having a pair that I will always buy something like this as my day to day headphones going forward. It is a huge and permanent revenue stream for Apple.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I tried these the other day. Has a product they are superb (totally wireless, convenient storage and charging case, good battery life compared to competitors). But they need a redesign in the fit and size customisation department.

For me, they would not stop in my ears. Even bending over made the AirPod fall out. Come on Apple, release a series 2 version of these.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
I don’t know, I am sucker for Apple gear but I still feel this should be priced in the $79-$99 range - I know the competition it’s as or more expensive than the EarPods but i will wait for a lower price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dekema2

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
They cost too much ($159). As a student, that's about the size of my average paycheck. Something half of that, a little less or more, would make these more appealing to a lot of people.

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Ok, well mine often have sync issues, one won't turn on sometimes. Have to re-pair them, and audio quality while using the mic dips and can't even use them for phone calls outside with light wind so yeah, I remember when Apple products had none of these issues.

Not sure WHAT User Experience you are talking about. Read what the long-time owners say. Additionally in support, Apple has many of the highest-rated in-category products for almost every category they compete in. HOWEVER, none of even Apple's Customer Satisfaction Ratings are as high as they are for the AirPods. For a Gen 1 product, that is a KILLER FACT. Heck, for a Gen ANYTHING product that is remarkable within a company like Apple.
[doublepost=1504564670][/doublepost]
Said someone who has never used them.

Thats weird because I'm wearing mine right now :)

harrisondavies

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
A friend had those. I tried them. Absolutely horrific. Uncomfortable and terrible sound. You get what you pay for. My friend tried my airpods. He immediately ordered a pair and threw away his TaoTronics.

Guess you had a bad pair. Mine are way better than AirPods.

Pezboy

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2015
They cost too much ($159). As a student, that's about the size of my average paycheck. Something half of that, a little less or more, would make these more appealing to a lot of people.
I’m a full time student taking 16 credit hours. I also work 40 hours a week. I bought them on my paycheck no problem. Might I suggest you work more hours, or get a not minimum wage job if you’re only bringing in $160 a paycheck.

Reactions: dr34mc4st3r

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

And yet... aren't AirPods some of the cheapest wireless earbuds?

There are some that are $200 or $300.

Reactions: dwsolberg

chaines

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
Kelowna, BC
AirPods / EarPods just falls out of my ears with too much background noise. BeatsX is the best alternative for me right now.

Yeah, I have the BeatsX too, and they sound great and are great to wear while I am working. And they work great for ear plugs too for noise. And I haven't had any complaints from the other side of the phone when I am talking in noisy environments. And they have the same W1 wireless chip that apple uses in their AirPods. They were a great buy. Worth every penny.

Reactions: haruhiko

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
They have their purpose, but I cannot have them as my only pair of headphones and wouldn't recommend anyone get them if they don't intend on having 2 pairs of headphones on them. While walking through the streets of NYC the interference is insanely annoying. Even in Central Park there's enough for them to cut out. They have absolutely zero noise canceling which terrible.

No in-line remote is an inconvenience but my Apple Watch makes it more bearable.

How they do work for me is when I'm at work I can use just one AirPod and listen to music while still being able to interact with my peers (the only time no noise canceling is actually good). I also use them at home so I can leave my phone plugged into power and I can also easily switch between phone and Mac.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
I bought those a month ago. BOught them at Best Buy, since, strangely, but the have some in stock. Well seem to have a problem with the charging case. It would go from completely charge (case and airpods) the case would go from 100% to 50% if unplugged AND not using them in 12 hours. So now very usefull, means I would have to recharge them everyday even if not using them. Went to Applestore, after a few days, cause I tried to see if I was the problem. They gave me another charging case. This one is a little better but no perfect. If something shows 100% charge and you do not use it, it should go down very slowly no? Wonder where the problem is.... bluetooth on devices?

Yes, yours aren't holding a charge correctly. Mine will last much much longer between charge.

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
How is the wireless connection in cities? My only complaint with my wireless headphones (and I have four or five - my primary device being the Jaybird X2) is interference. This isn't an issue at home or on the subway, but when I'm in midtown Manhattan the connection becomes interrupted - usually at street intersections. I picture a thousand wireless connections colliding with each other whenever this happens. Does the W1 chip minimize troubles like this?

I honestly think build quality from device to device changes drastically. I've talked to many people who own AirPods here in NYC and about half of the people say they have no issues with interference in the city and the other half do experience interface often. I've owned 2 pairs so far & both of them have been too annoying to wear while walking in the city.
[doublepost=1504576647][/doublepost]
Waiting for an in ear dual driver version like they have had for a few years now. More sound isolation and better fidelity with less emphasis on bass is really something I am after. Their in ears with the W1 would be awesome!
YAAAAS. I would love those

Reactions: 840quadra

grobik

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Do they fit any better than the earbuds that come included with every iPhone? Because those just fall out of my ear.

For me they do. Regular EarPods fall out of my ears with a light breeze. Airpods however stay put through running and jumping jacks and pushups. They feel like they will fall out, but they stay put. A bit of a feeling to get used to. But now I barely realize they are in. At an Apple store you can try them out before you buy to make sure they fit your ears properly.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I love my AirPods!
I would only hope at some point a waterproof version with a bit different design for swimming use. That would indeed be a killer feature to add to my Apple Watch while at the pool.

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
Do they fit any better than the earbuds that come included with every iPhone? Because those just fall out of my ear.

They fall out of your ear because of the wire. It's counter intuitive initially, but I had the same problem. Removed the wire and they stop pulling on the ear buds. Every time you turn your head, check your phone, talk etc. there is a little tug from the few grams of wire on the ear buds. Over a short amount of time, this pulls them out of your ear. But with Airpods this is no longer a problem and they stay in, even if I go for a run, jump up and down etc.

Highly recommended product. I can see why they are kicking arse and taking names. It's probably the best Tim Cook's Apple product to date.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I'm pretty sure that AirPods by themselves would be a Fortune 500 company. And I'm beginning to think they would be a Fortune 100 company. I know after having a pair that I will always buy something like this as my day to day headphones going forward. It is a huge and permanent revenue stream for Apple.
LOL. Not even close. I dont think you have any idea how much money a Fortune 500 company makes.

The airpods are, and always will be, a very tiny niche product category. One weekend of iphone 8 sales will dominate an entire years worth of airpod revenue.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
[doublepost=1504538330][/doublepost]
Many states have an exception for single ear, or when used as a hands-free device.

If you get a ticket, good luck in court proving you only had one earphone on. Cops aren't stupid. They know some people will take out one earphone when stopped, and claim they weren't wearing the other.

TouchedByAl

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Salt Lake City
I love my AirPods except for two things. This must be a Bluetooth limitation but I have noticed on my iPhone SE when typing there's a slight delay. Not a deal breaker just something I've noticed. Also I've had issues activating Siri. As someone who has a watch it's not a feature I use often when I have the earbuds in but it's still frustrating that I can't seem to tap on the right spot to get it to work consistently. I've watched YouTube videos of the various ways people get this to work and it's a 25% success rate. Maybe it's just me.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Predicting black AirPods. Maybe hoping is the word. I'd get them now but for the fact that I think they look almost as goofy as getting around on a Segway. Little bright-white antennae sticking out of your ears. My opinion. Just sayin'.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'd get them now but for the fact that I think they look almost as goofy as getting around on a Segway. Little bright-white antennae sticking out of your ears. My opinion. Just sayin'.

Is it any more goofy than having 45" of white cables hanging from your head and across your body?

I dunno... I guess I've never considered how my headphones look to other people. :p

Suspended
Jun 2, 2017
When they first came out, I was sceptical.

But bought a pair 2 weeks ago - as a first gen product, Apple did a great job.

(And I'm using them with a Samsung S8).
Well, I hope the experience for you with an Android phone is good as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.