Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've been hearing quite a bit recently about Apple's long-rumored over-ear headphones, said to be called "AirPods Studio," and it looks like a launch may be coming in the relatively near future.

Over-Ear-ApplePhones-Cropped.png
Artist mockup based on Beats Studio3

Rumors have generally suggested a summer or fall launch for AirPods Studio, with a report earlier this week claiming that suppliers in Vietnam will begin shipments to Apple in June or July, but a new report from Taiwanese site DigiTimes indicates that production on the new headphones is already underway.
As Apple is likely to accelerate dropping its wired earphones, the vendor will resume normal shipments for AirPods 2 in the second half of the year and its new over-ear headphones, dubbed AirPods Studio, has also kicked off production, all securing growth momentum for rigid-flex boards suppliers for the devices, including Unitech Printed Circuit Board and Compeq Manufacturing, the sources said.
The mention comes in a larger story about circuit board suppliers for the whole AirPods lineup and doesn't include any further details on the AirPods Studio, but it certainly looks like a launch is coming sooner rather than later.

Apple's virtual Worldwide Developers Conference, which kicks off exactly one month from today, could be a good opportunity to introduce the new headphones, although they are not necessarily a developer-focused product and so Apple may opt for a separate launch so as to not distract from the focus of the event.

Among the AirPods Studio details revealed in recent rumors are a $349 price point matching the Beats Studio3 pricing, a pair of models in premium leather-like and more breathable fitness-friendly fabrics, ear and headband padding that attaches magnetically for easy swapping, and embedded sensors for head and neck detection and automatically routing left and right audio channels to the appropriate earcups regardless of which way the headphones are worn.

Article Link: Apple's 'AirPods Studio' Over-Ear Headphones Have Reportedly Kicked Off Production

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
If someone could just help me find my missing Gen 1 AirPods that would be great. Find My never picks up anything on the map. :(

Target has had Gen 2 on sale for over a month but I don’t want Hey Siri compatibility.

Reactions: Darkwalker

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Not really gonna be a "pod" anymore but no chance they'll miss out on the marketing opportunity.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I hope they come in black. White will become dirty in half an hour.

According to the leaked images within iOS code, there will be black (or space gray) and white.

I wonder what the Back To School Promo will be this year. Will kids want to buy AirPod Studios if they’re getting free Beats Studios? We’ll see.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Adoniram

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
The true ambidextrous nature sounds great in principle, but how would they accomplish it? I'm sure they have a good method, but can't imagine what it is without the headphones first being placed on the neck (to trigger the neck sensor). Does it have an earlobe proximity sensor? Whatever it is, it's probably pretty clever.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I have the Beats Studio 3. I expected that with the moniker "Studio" they'd be, you know, like studio headsets. But I've found them pretty underwhelming. Pairing with my Mac is instantaneous, which is nice. The ANC is just okay. So I'm not sure what the difference in sound quality will be with the AirPods Studio.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I wonder if these will sound as good as the HomePod, Apple’s audio team are killing it! The HomePod isn’t a very good smart speaker BUT it does sound great as a speaker. The speakers on the MacBook Pro are great and the ones on the 16” MacBook Pro get praise for being reliably good. let’s hope these “Studio Pods” are great sounding.

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
I wonder if these will sound as good as the HomePod, Apple’s audio team are killing it! The HomePod isn’t a very good smart speaker BUT it does sound great as a speaker. The speakers on the MacBook Pro are great and the ones on the 16” MacBook Pro get praise for being reliably good. let’s hope these “Studio Pods” are great sounding.
Yep, these have got me excited based on apple’s recent sounds. I have the B&W PX currently, but will almost certainly get these on day 1. The PX's ANC is ok but not great, and autoplay sensor niggles mean that if Apple get the sound right I’ll most likely be selling the PX's on.

edit - my guess for the name... HeadPods... well you know, we've had EarPods and HomePod!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave245

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I'm very interested but worried about the fit. It's why I don't own any over the ear Beats.
I find headphones which completely cup over your ears are better for comfort than ones that press down on your ears as these appear to... maybe that will come with AirPods Studio Pro? :p

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
I have the Beats Studio 3. I expected that with the moniker "Studio" they'd be, you know, like studio headsets. But I've found them pretty underwhelming. Pairing with my Mac is instantaneous, which is nice. The ANC is just okay. So I'm not sure what the difference in sound quality will be with the AirPods Studio.

Why would anyone think a $300 wireless headset would be “like studio headsets” simply because it has ”studio” in the name?
[automerge]1590160975[/automerge]
I’d be really surprised if these were anything but AirPods white.

you’re going to be surprised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.