Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
It’s coming!

img_5259.jpg

MrBukey

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
The old Bullring store was way too small for the number of visitors. It's the same with many of Apple's narrow two storey UK stores. Hopefully Liverpool will be next for a bigger store.

Yup it was, it was too small from day one - and actually only had one floor (for customers) IIRC. With the rise of Apple's popularity, the issue was always compounded. I no longer live in Brum, but it's my home city - and glad that this is finally going ahead, it's a perfect building for Apple.

That building looks to only have two floors, not six. Anyone got a better picture?

As other's have said, it is built atop a ramped street, but it also goes higher than it appears.

This is what it looked like inside when it was Waterstones.

Waterstones-16.jpg

8384050784_83db967942_b.jpg

This is only the "front half" of the shop too. The bottom photo is actually taken from the middle of the front half, there's a fair amount of room behind the camera as can be seen in the top photo. The building stretches back a decent amount behind the stairs and then there's a basement. There's also "mid-levels" to the sides where the stairs are, and to the back of the building (to make the six). Whilst it may not all be used as "store", a lot of it can be converted into different areas - including training areas/theatres like some other stores, as well as maybe demo areas or "product" areas - there's plenty of room for all of that, plus stock and staff areas.

It doesn't look vastly bigger than the Bullring store (width-wise), but it is a much better looking building than a plain rectangle in a shopping centre :)

I'd say it's actually about twice as wide, and more than twice the length in total - these pictures (as above) don't show the full magnitude of the store at all.

Really looking forward to visiting when I go back to Brum to visit family and friends!

Reactions: Keane16

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Excellent news !

I went to the Bullring the start of last December ... it was shoulder to shoulder.

This looks so much bigger and grander. The design of this building is beautiful, I really hope they maintain the central grand staircase.

Reactions: MrBukey

itchster

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2005
Birmingham, UK
It doesn't look vastly bigger than the Bullring store (width-wise), but it is a much better looking building than a plain rectangle in a shopping centre :)

The photo is a little bit deceptive from the front a few points to be mindful about

• The front door is huge, its a big double height and probably double length door compared to the one at the Bullring
  • Its on a slope so there is actually a second entrance on the bottom floor under the floor the main entrance is on which assuming Apple use it (and they should!) is right over the road from New Street Station and the Metro tram stop.
  • The main staircase is not at the back of the store it actually carries on behind that about roughly half again that you can see in the photos and there is a floor under that (with that second entrance)
  • There are multiple floors above the main floor and from what I remember its basically a maze with a spiral staircase somewhere as well

MrBukey

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
The photo is a little bit deceptive from the front a few points to be mindful about

• The front door is huge, its a big double height and probably double length door compared to the one at the Bullring
  • Its on a slope so there is actually a second entrance on the bottom floor under the floor the main entrance is on which assuming Apple use it (and they should!) is right over the road from New Street Station and the Metro tram stop.
  • The main staircase is not at the back of the store it actually carries on behind that about roughly half again that you can see in the photos and there is a floor under that (with that second entrance)
  • There are multiple floors above the main floor and from what I remember its basically a maze with a spiral staircase somewhere as well

I remember spending hours at a time in my late teens and early 20's in the maze system - reading tech books and using it as a library! I'd always buy as I could afford, but always felt less "under pressure" than at the High Street Waterstone's in full view, and it was always quieter in the maze than downstairs in New Street, or anywhere in High Street.....

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008

That photo brings back some fond-memories.

• iSight Cameras
  • PowerMac G5s
  • 23" Cinema Displays
  • Various sections of the store devoted to iLife applications like one w/ just digital cameras or Music Players (iPods) and another w/ AV equipment
That was also a pretty standard store size back in the day. 30' stores were popping up all over the place. Way too cramped for what Apple does today. I believe Genius-Bar was mid-store and POS was @ the rear.

Reactions: OllyW

itchster

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2005
Birmingham, UK
I remember spending hours at a time in my late teens and early 20's in the maze system - reading tech books and using it as a library! I'd always buy as I could afford, but always felt less "under pressure" than at the High Street Waterstone's in full view, and it was always quieter in the maze than downstairs in New Street, or anywhere in High Street.....

First time I went in as an A-Level student I got lost in the maze, gave up quickly and just read a book for 15 min before trying again :D. I know what you mean about Hight Street Waterstones but its gotten better since they refurbished it, I see people using the tables they have on certain floors now to just study all the time.

MrBukey

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
First time I went in as an A-Level student I got lost in the maze, gave up quickly and just read a book for 15 min before trying again :D. I know what you mean about Hight Street Waterstones but its gotten better since they refurbished it, I see people using the tables they have on certain floors now to just study all the time.

I'm a Silhillian by birth, and a Brummie by heart. Moved away almost 5 years ago now though - and now a country boy (or middle aged man now, I keep forgetting! ;) ) by heart and mind. Haven't been in Waterstone's High Street for many years - but really looking forward to going to the new New Street Apple store!

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK

Yeah, you're right - the glass frontage on the bullring store just makes it look wider than it is.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I like how the article starts out feeling like "oh no apple is doooooomed" but ends on a "oh it was just too small, we need a bigger space due to too much foot traffic". Typical journalism.

I am disappointed that the headline wasn't along the lines of "The new Apple Store in Birmingham will SHOCK you."

I wonder if Leicester will get a new Apple Store cause Highcross is tiny and there's plenty of historical buildings around that they could take up.

Highcross always feels much less cramped than Birmingham, though. Not sure if it is indeed wider or that Brummies feel obliged to bring a pushchair along to every visit to the Apple store.

The old Dillons/Waterstones was always a rabbit warren inside and all the better for that. I hope Apple doesn't gut it inside under some misguided idea that every location has to conform to Apple's 'less is more' mantra. I would assume that there are quite a few planning restrictions in place. Too late to take over the old Central Library. Would have been oodles of retail space in that.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It's in a very good place as well, just as you come out of the train station. I'm hoping it means they more stock of iPhones in for launch days :)

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
The old Dillons/Waterstones was always a rabbit warren inside and all the better for that. I hope Apple doesn't gut it inside under some misguided idea that every location has to conform to Apple's 'less is more' mantra. I would assume that there are quite a few planning restrictions in place. Too late to take over the old Central Library. Would have been oodles of retail space in that.

The planning application mentions restoring it to the original banking hall layout - so a lot of the clutter added over the years will go.

Reactions: OllyW

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
The planning application mentions restoring it to the original banking hall layout - so a lot of the clutter added over the years will go.
That's right, it looks like this balcony will be going.
Plans went in to Birmingham City Council earlier this summer outlining major changes to the inside of the building, including removing a staircase and mezzanine balcony added in the 1990s.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/new-giant-apple-store-open-10169035

8384050784_83db967942_b.jpg

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Retail trading will be confined to the ground and lower ground floor level, to impose on the public’s experience of the space as originally intended when used as a banking hall.

So it looks as if the new store will only be about twice the size of the current one, if only two floors are going to be used out of the six available.

MrBukey

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
So it looks as if the new store will only be about twice the size of the current one, if only two floors are going to be used out of the six available.

It's bigger than that. I'd say half of the front half of the building is about the same size as Bullring.

With the balcony gone, depending on which two floors they use, it could easily be up to four times the size of the current Bullring store....
[doublepost=1474481507][/doublepost]Check out the videos on this news article to see the scale of the building, especially the second video under the heading "Watch the scaffolding come down from the New Street Apple store":

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/new-apple-store-birmingham-open-11793131

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
It's bigger than that. I'd say half of the front half of the building is about the same size as Bullring.

With the balcony gone, depending on which two floors they use, it could easily be up to four times the size of the current Bullring store....
[doublepost=1474481507][/doublepost]Check out the videos on this news article to see the scale of the building, especially the second video under the heading "Watch the scaffolding come down from the New Street Apple store":

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/new-apple-store-birmingham-open-11793131

The article I quoted from said the ground floor and the vault. The basement is probably only half the size of the ground floor, if that, because of the slope when looking from the side. Never been down there so cannot say for sure.

dunlop73

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Birmingham, UK
According to a staff member I talked to recently, the new store will be 10 times larger than the current one. The New Street store is a beautiful building and, as a Brummie, I am delighted that Apple are going to look after it. I was worried its might be another H&M or Primark...

MrBukey

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
Looking at the planning permission plans and alterations, there's a lot of office space, training space, conference room space, etc --- I'm guessing it's a prime location, right next door to New Street Station...... With HS2 coming at some point, locking into a long lease probably means quite some saving for prime retail estate and prestige offices, for a fraction of the cost of London?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.