Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today continued with the launch of its annual "Back to School" promotion, debuting back to school deals in most countries in Europe, some countries in Asia, the Middle East, and Mexico.

europe-back-to-school.jpg

Higher education students and educators in most countries can get an Apple gift card with the purchase of select Macs and iPads, which is the same deal that went live in the United States and Canada in June, while in other countries, Apple is offering AirPods. In the UK, gift cards valued at up to £120 are available, and in other European countries, the amount tops out at €150.

Qualifying devices include the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac, as well as the iPad Pro and iPad Air. Eligible devices include the M2 MacBook Pro and M2 MacBook Air, which are Apple's latest devices. The highest value gift cards are available with Macs, with slightly lower values accompanying iPads.

In Mexico, Turkey, Czech Republic, Belgium, the United Arab Emirates, Hong Kong, and China, Apple is not providing a gift card, and is instead giving EDU customers a set of AirPods with the purchase of a new iPad or Mac. In countries where AirPods are the Back to School option, Apple is offering second-generation AirPods for free, but customers can upgrade to third-generation AirPods or AirPods Pro for an additional fee.

Apple is providing its standard educational discounts, and students are able to get lower prices on Macs and iPads through the EDU store in each country. Students are also eligible for AppleCare+ at a 20 percent discount.

Apple's Back to School promotion requires verification through UNiDAYS in many countries, with full terms and conditions available on the promotional pages for Apple's country-specific websites.

Back to School deals are available to students and educators in countries that include Mexico, the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Hong Kong, and China.

Apple's Back to School Promotion will last through October 20, 2022 in most of the above listed countries, but it does end in September in some locations, such as Hong Kong and China.

Article Link: Apple's Back to School Deals Now Live in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East

Last edited:
Reactions: ascender

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
i decided not to buy anything but i'm hoping gift cards will remain for the years to come

i am so greatful to finally get something useful rather than airpods i'd either have to bother selling ,or keeping them even tho i dont need earphones

i'm afraid they may not keep it that way though,as many consumers seem to be confused lol .

Last edited by a moderator:

RTelck

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2022
Just bought a M2 Macbook Air and Apple UK charged me the GIFT CARD. Therefore, there is no Discount. BAD MOVE from APPLE.

In fact, by charging me the gift card, I paid the normal price.

Anyone had the same issue?

• Haha
Reactions: KeithBN

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
Just bought a M2 Macbook Air and Apple UK charged me the GIFT CARD. Therefore, there is no Discount. BAD MOVE from APPLE.

how much have you been actually charged,and how much would it cost to buy the same mac from regular store ?

RTelck

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2022
how much have you been actually charged,and how much would it cost to buy the same mac from regular store ?

It is still unclear if the Macbook Will be charged the Edu price or they will remove a further 120 from it.
As far as the invoice say, they will charge the normal education price. They will only charge the notebook once it is shipped.

So, I paid the normal price 1.529 (16GB and 512Gb) + the 120 from the gift card

Normal price is 1.649 , education price is 1.529 (as always has been)

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
It is still unclear if the Macbook Will be charged the Edu price or they will remove a further 120 from it.
As far as the invoice say, they will charge the normal education price. They will only charge the notebook once it is shipped.

So, I paid the normal price 1.529 (16GB and 512Gb) + the 120 from the gift card

Normal price is 1.649 , education price is 1.529 (as always has been)
again ,did you effectively pay 1649 or 1529 ? what was the sum at the bottom page ?

my point being that from what i see ,you pay 1529 in total (10% less than normal price).and you get a gift card on top of that .

they wont remove 120 further because it would mean they give you a double card lol

u pay price-10% and u get a 120 bucks card,as simple as that

in apple words u pay price-10% - 120 +120 card ,lol

Last edited by a moderator:

RTelck

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2022
Price - 10% is the normal education price. Therefore, I paid the normal educational price.

If I have to pay for the gift card, them it just makes no sense, the prices remained the same as yesterday.

There is no deal in this situation

You can buy a gift card anytime you like.

Bobbuilds69

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2022
Price - 10% is the normal education price. Therefore, I paid the normal educational price.

If I have to pay for the gift card, them it just makes no sense, the prices remained the same as yesterday.

Isn’t the gift card for a future purchase, not the current purchase?

singe

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2007
London | Hong Kong
Prior to AirPods a gift card was usually the back to school bonus. You were prompted to add the gift card to your purchase and it was credited at check out. You then received delivery of a physical gift card later.

Evil Dan

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2020

So the offer is working perfectly if the price is the same. They email out the code for the gift card at delivery or just before to use on a future purchase. That way you receive the gift card for no extra cost.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand

Don't worry. They will deduct the cost of the gift card in the Mac invoice once shipped.
Any issues just ring them, their CS is the best! (99% of the time)

Evil Dan

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2020
Don't worry. They will deduct the cost of the gift card in the Mac invoice once shipped.
Any issues just ring them, their CS is the best! (99% of the time)
It's discounted at the point of purchase within the breakdown of the Mac purchase. It's then charged separately on the invoice so the price is the same as before. Says code will be emailed out at the time of shipping.

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 06.25.03.png

AnTaR3s

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Vienna
Got a question: Can I transfer the Apple gift card to someone else? i.e. Buy the promotion and then sell the 150€ card for 145€ to someone who actually needs it (and then saves 5€)?

Evil Dan

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2020
At least with the airpods you had an ACTUAL discount. Last year I paid 99 for a AirPods pro.

The way they charged me I got no benefit from it
You need to check your order confirmation.

While you have been charged £120 for the gift card there is also a £120 "Savings" taken off the price of the Macbook Air in the breakdown of it's price as shown above.

Therefore the price is identical to yesterday without the promotion but you'll get sent the code for the £120 gift card leaving you paying exactly the same price for the Macbook Air plus £120 gift card as you would have paid for just the Macbook Air yesterday.

You are still getting the same 10% discount as before and the card actually cost you £0 compared to yesterday's price for the Macbook Air. I can't really simplify it any more for you.

RTelck

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2022
It's discounted at the point of purchase within the breakdown of the Mac purchase. It's then charged separately on the invoice so the price is the same as before. Says code will be emailed out at the time of shipping.

View attachment 2029558

That savings that you see is just a gimmick, you are paying for it….

To make it easier.. the first pic is the precious order I made, 3 days ago!!!
3D3E76BF-A328-4F58-8F3A-3BF7DCEC2CD5.jpeg

The second one is today’s order!!!!
58A6A17B-2606-4B45-8AF7-9D9B9156191F.jpeg

If they charged me for the GIFT CARD, as they did..

WHERE IS THE BLODDY DEAL???

It ia just a gimmick!!!! The only thing they managed me to do is to commit spending more than I would have and lose 3 days in delivery time.

Evil Dan

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2020
Thinking about it more it makes sense for Apple to do it this way.

If you use the card then send the Mac back you'll only get a refund of the Mac with the discount applied to this so it's not possible for people to use the card, send the laptop back and get a full refund.

Evil Dan

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2020
That savings that you see is just a gimmick, you are paying for it….

To make it easier.. the first pic is the precious order I made, 3 days ago!!!
View attachment 2029568

The second one is today’s order!!!!
View attachment 2029569

If they charged me for the GIFT CARD, as they did..

WHERE IS THE BLODDY DEAL???

It ia just a gimmick!!!! The only thing they managed me to do is to commit spending more than I would have and lose 3 days in delivery time.
You've literally just posted a screenshot with "Savings -£120" on it. That's the discount for the card. Hence the card is free with the laptop.

If your total invoice is £1529 then you didn't pay £120 for the card did you? Otherwise the invoice total would have been £1649.

£120-£120=£0

I'm going to guess it's not a mathematics course you are doing!

RTelck

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2022
the math will only make sense if they charge the notebook 1.409…
Otherwise, is a zero sum game.

Let’s see when they ship it!!!

Last edited:

Gautam.

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2015
Check your math mate!!!

If you paid for the gift card that means

120 - 120 = 0 , YOU PAID FOR IT.. there is benefit at all!!!

So yes, you keep the education discount.. which is fine… but that’s about it…
The gift card is only making you spend more later on… since you already paid the 120.

It can only be a gain for the consumer, if the gift card is free of charge, meaning NO 120 payment!! Which it is not!!!
Are you joking or just really, really bad at maths?

1. You paid the education price for your Mac.
2. Then, you received 120 pounds extra discount on your Mac.
3. Then, you paid 120 pounds for a gift card.

In other words, that's a free gift card.

Whether or not it will make you spend more later is up to you. There's plenty of stuff you can get for 120 pounds.

Evil Dan

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2020
Check your math mate!!!

If you paid for the gift card that means

120 - 120 = 0 , YOU PAID FOR IT.. there is benefit at all!!!

So yes, you keep the education discount.. which is fine… but that’s about it…
The gift card is only making you spend more later on… since you already paid the 120.

It can only be a gain for the consumer, if the gift card is free of charge, meaning NO 120 payment!! Which it is not!!!
The gift card can be used across the whole of Apple's services - store, app store, iCloud and associated services:

You can use it to buy a pair of 2nd gen Airpods which is the same as previous promotions if you wish, or just sell the code on eBay. This has always been the Back to School promotion - that you either get headphones or a gift card off a future purchase. It has never been additional discount on the purchased item.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.