MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple is planning on launching their annual Back to School promotion on Tuesday, June 3rd. Last year, Apple offered a free iPod Nano ($199 value) or a $199 credit against a more expensive iPod for eligible customers. The iPhone was specifically excluded from this promotion last year. The promo was available only to college students purchasing a qualifying (MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro).

The exact offering for this year's promo is not yet known, but is expected to be comparable. Qualifying students looking to buy a Mac should certainly wait until June 3rd to take advantage of the promotion.

Last year's promo page remains online at the Apple Store, but terms and conditions will likely be different for this year's promo.

Article Link

kikobarbada

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
I think it was a bad idea to release that information because now it will decrease sales from students till the 3rd.

Comment

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
why does "back to school" happen before they break up for the summer?

Comment

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
I think it was a bad idea to release that information because now it will decrease sales from students till the 3rd.

And it will double sales because after Tuesday people are going to buy then, and the people wanting to take advantage of the deal will by then too. So what if sales are slow for 4 days.

Comment

drewfus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
Evanston, IL
Agreed with the above poster. By and large, most universities are out well before June 3rd. My last day of class was April 27th, and graduation was May 8th.

I suppose it also gets the incoming college freshmen thinking reaaaaaaaaaaaally early about getting a new computer. :)

Comment

jersey

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Well, now I guess I'm not buying a new iMac this weekend ..... but I really dont need a new iPod. Hmm....... what to do....

Comment

Derwood

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2005
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ordered a new MacBook just a week ago. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

14 Day return policy?

Eek!

Why me? Why, always me?

Grumble, grumble, grumble...etc.

Comment

Dicx

Contributor
Jan 10, 2006

Yeah but from a Resellers standpoint it would help to know as soon as possible so you can tell customers to wait. How many times have you heard over the years "I just bought this on Friday and now Tuesday there is this deal?" " If only I had waited..."

Oh and for College, it never ends, Summer sessions in full swing and 1st year testing is going on and parents visiting campus, oh what fun.

Comment

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains

Why? Because a significant chunk of the citizens in the USA just got handed a check from the IRS for the "stimulus package."

Other stores are having sales so they can advertise a way to spend the check. This is probably Apple being smart enough to know there is extra money out there right now.

Comment

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
May 16, 2008
Agreed with the above poster. By and large, most universities are out well before June 3rd. My last day of class was April 27th, and graduation was May 8th.

I suppose it also gets the incoming college freshmen thinking reaaaaaaaaaaaally early about getting a new computer. :)

Thats me!!!! LOL... i plan on getting a macbook end of June/July. So this is perfect... Maybe il put the 200 credit to the ipod touch if i have extra cash on gift cards. Cousins are getting me apple gift cards for graduation gift. but i also have to wait for these rumors about new design to see if there true. but im hopeing end of june/july to have it....its my first mac!!!! I want to have it b4 i go so i can get used to it.

or maybe il keep the nano.. i thought it was something different. i would keep the nano

Comment

flavamactop

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008

Because the largest segment of back to school purchasers of computers are people just graduating high school and who are getting a new computer for college. Early June is when all of those high school graduates have their graduation parties, and thus is when they get all their graduation gifts.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.