Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming Beats Studio Pro headphones today showed up in FCC filings, which means we are getting closer to a potential launch date. Apple has not yet acknowledged the Beats Studio Pro headphones, but they were spotted in the macOS Ventura 13.4 update back in May.

beats-studio-pro.jpg

The headphones feature an A2924 model number and an ID of BeatsStudioPro1,1. The Beats Studio Pro will be a new version of the Beats Studio3 over-ear headphones, which are several years old at this point.

Software code suggested that the Beats Studio Pro headphones will be released in collaboration with Samuel Ross of A-Cold-Wall, who just joined Beats as a "principal design consultant." The design looks to be largely identical to the Beats Studio3 headphones, but Apple will likely add internal improvements to justify the "Pro" moniker.

The headphones could feature an updated Apple-designed chip and additions like improved Active Noise Cancellation and a Transparency Mode. Apple also plans to add "Hey Siri" support, a feature that is not available in the current Studio3 headphones.

We are expecting the Beats Studio Pro headphones to be released later this summer, and FCC information usually comes out a few weeks to a month ahead of launch.

Article Link: Apple's Beats Studio Pro Headphones Listed in FCC Database Ahead of Launch

Last edited:

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
100% agree. Owned 2 Beats Studio Pro's, both defective after 1,5 years because of the bad build quality.
(plastic parts that broke even though I used it only in the home studio office)

Now I can't live without my Apple AirPods Max.
100% worth the price.

mine developed a rattle. there is something loose inside that bounces around. the ear cushions started peeling away after just a year and i hardly ever wore them (i have two other primary headphones i use all the time).

but just the loud plasticky creaking sound it makes when you fold/unfold them feels cheap enough. i don't believe steve jobs would let this pass.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Made in China with planned obsolescence…

I miss the days when things were made to last, perhaps even for more than a decade.
Back then, things didn't have batteries and CPUs that die or are irrelevant after a few years. I realize that this is different than your build quality criticism but it's unreasonable to expect a product to last many years and also expect to pay very little for it. It's a little like asking Americans if they want products produced in the US. They are all for it until they see that the sticker price will double.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I still don’t understand why this brand still exists.
Two reasons:

1. Offer Android users a taste of the Apple ecosystem without making AirPods fully compatible with non-Apple consumer electronics.

2. Frustrate the “AirPods are too expensive”-crowd by giving them a taste of AirPods but leaving out enough features to make them eventually realize that $50-$100 more isn’t that much when considering the step up in quality of hardware and features from beats.

Essentially, it’s a way for Apple to lower production costs for the parts that go into AirPods by also using many of them in beats products thus increasing profit margins across the board.

Beats is a line-up of “AirPods SE” headphones that allows apple to sell a much cheaper, more outdated, lower-quality versions of AirPods products but without hurting the premium brand identity and high asking price of actual AirPods.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Two reasons:

1. Offer Android users a taste of the Apple ecosystem without making AirPods fully compatible with non-Apple consumer electronics.

2. Frustrate the “AirPods are too expensive”-crowd by giving them a taste of AirPods but leaving out enough features to make them eventually realize that $50-$100 more isn’t that much when considering the step up in quality of hardware and features from beats.

Essentially, it’s a way for Apple to lower production costs for the parts that go into AirPods by also using many of them in beats products thus increasing profit margins across the board.

Beats is a line-up of “AirPods SE” headphones that allows apple to sell a much cheaper, more outdated, lower-quality versions of AirPods products but without hurting the premium brand identity and high asking price of actual AirPods.

The irony about that notion is the new Beats Buds are arguably better than actual AirPods

Reactions: Student of Life

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
These are waaaay overpriced but I still have mine and they work well. The only time I use them is when I'm out cutting the grass. They take sweat like a champ and have never failed my going on 3 years of some pretty solid abuse.

Reactions: Student of Life

Mitochris

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
I think an additional and larger problem is that we have become accustomed to replacing things and therefore do not want to pay too much. If I would know that the product would last a decade and still be excellent, I might pay the price, but we know that things won’t even work in a few years time due to compatibility issues.

JamesHolden

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2022
Two reasons:

I think it’s more about branding than anything else. Beats is hip, urban, etc. The type of folks who want to rock over the ear Beats simply aren’t interested in AirPods (and vice-versa). Apple targets two very different kinds of customers with Beats vs. AirPods. I don’t think it’s about Beats being AirPods SE at all. Beats aren’t cheap. Cheaper, yes, but not cheap. It’s about customer demographics.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Made in China with planned obsolescence…

I miss the days when things were made to last, perhaps even for more than a decade.
Agreed but it's more complicated when there are batteries involved. Replace or trade-in are the only options.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Agreed but it's more complicated when there are batteries involved. Replace or trade-in are the only options.
True in general, but fortunately not true for AirPods Max. Battery replacement is available as a service. It's $79, I believe. I've had mine since they first came out and have worn the batteries down to where they get maybe 6 hours. Not terrible, but I'll probably get the battery replaced soon. Otherwise they're performing beautifully.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I still can't believe Apple paid something like $3,000,000,000 for Beats.
Me as well. There is absolutely nothing Apple couldn’t have done on it s own. In fact I would argue Apple Music is poorer than it would have been but for the acquisition. And Apple didn’t need to buy Beats to make headphones and earphones either. It is like Beats was purchased for $3B just so so some middle aged guys got to hang out with the cool kids.
But we will never counterfactual I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.