Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrJackamo

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2023
Me as well. There is absolutely nothing Apple couldn’t have done on it s own. In fact I would argue Apple Music is poorer than it would have been but for the acquisition. And Apple didn’t need to buy Beats to make headphones and earphones either. It is like Beats was purchased for $3B just so so some middle aged guys got to hang out with the cool kids.
But we will never counterfactual I suppose.
This is a surprise. After canceling the Beats Solo Pro's a couple years back, I was certain they were beginning to discontinue Beats entirely. Back when Apple purchased Beats, their inventory was largely full size over or on ear headphones. AirPods are obviously significantly more popular than any other brand or style. Beats by Dre were the AirPods of their time.If they were already developing the different AirPods back in 2014, it makes a lot of sense because it puts them in a position to corner the market. What doesn't make sense is why they are still in existence. Apple could have discontinued them completely and those who were loyal to beats would almost certainly migrate to AirPods.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
If enough people like you put their money where their mouths are, Apple might pay attention. I think it would require an entire redesign for product distinction. If your USA made iPhone looks just like the China made model but yours cost an extra $300, no one is going to buy it. People want to hold up a new product and also to virtue signal to everyone that they care about jobs in their country and exploitation of workers in other countries. That only happens if Apple is on board from the start and designing products to express those values.
Well, I think you’re wrong. A lot of people perhaps 25% would pay an extra $300 to have a free-world made iPhone. The problem is CEOs like Tim Cook have sold out to China. That wasn’t the smart thing to do. We shouldn’t send shipping to anywhere that purposely steals IP and etc. Nor should we send to adversaries of freedom and peace. Not saying anywhere in the West is perfect but the genocide and ”re-education” of Uyghurs is just one of many reasons other than theft of IP to not do business in China.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Well, I think you’re wrong. A lot of people perhaps 25% would pay an extra $300 to have a free-world made iPhone. The problem is CEOs like Tim Cook have sold out to China. That wasn’t the smart thing to do. We shouldn’t send shipping to anywhere that purposely steals IP and etc. Nor should we send to adversaries of freedom and peace. Not saying anywhere in the West is perfect but the genocide and ”re-education” of Uyghurs is just one of many reasons other than theft of IP to not do business in China.
It's not really selling out when it's the only game in town. You're asking for Apple (and every hardware business) to not exist because of moral atrocities on the other side of the world.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
It's not really selling out when it's the only game in town. You're asking for Apple (and every hardware business) to not exist because of moral atrocities on the other side of the world.
Not true. I want them to do business in countries not ruled by communism, dictators, or militaries. And for national and western security, not do high-technology in countries that are adversaries to the West.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Not true. I want them to do business in countries not ruled by communism, dictators, or militaries. And for national and western security, not do high-technology in countries that are adversaries to the West.
Doing business means building hundreds of millions of devices for half the price of any other manufacturer. Maybe in 10-15 years once jobs, businesses and skillsets have migrated slowly out of China, but many people in the US believe US is more of a threat to ourselves and the world than China. So while I agree with your desires they are entirely unrealistic at this time unless Apple were willing to take a 50% hit in their revenue for the next 5-10 years.

And there's also the Tim Cook argument which has some validity too. By doing business with China, for instance, the US has some say in what goes on there. If we turn our back on China entirely, there is zero pressure on them to right any of their moral wrongs. Apple has already changed the face of underage and slave labor in China from what it used to be and that is by using economic carrots, not government sanctions which do not work in this case.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThailandToo

Vangeli

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
The Solo Pro redesign was pretty great, so why the Studio 3 didn’t receive the same design updates in a refresh is astonishing; it’s been the same design for at least five or six years. If they indeed retain that current horrifically cheap design then it won’t be worth the price at all, especially if it stays $349.

The Solo 3 being replaced by the now-discontinued-but-should-return Solo Pro, Studio 3 being replaced by essentially an over-ear Solo Pro design, and Powerbeats Pro with noise cancellation and transparency mode (and like 40 hours of battery life or something ridiculous like that given how massive they are) would be a worthwhile rounding out of the Beats lineup. All using USB-C instead of lightning now too, of course.

Doubtful any of that will happen though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.