Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
View attachment 689254

The iPad Pro 'better than a computer' ad has beaten the previously least liked video - the 'What's a computer?' iPad Pro ad ("least liked" meaning worst like to dislike ratio).
In fact it it thew only and possibly the first video on their YouTube channel to receive more dislikes than likes!

View attachment 689255

Obviously this will probably be ignored by Apple but I just thought it's interesting and I think the dislikes will keep building up on the 'better than a computer' ad.

UPDATE:
Dislikes have almost doubled and are now around 15,000.
Likes have increased by around 1,000.

Very suspicious as to Apples Motivations for new Ads on a Year Plus Old Product With some Horrible Mac vs PC styles ads from the early 2000's era Style.

Like oh wow it's an iPad that does PC stuff when that can't be father from the Truth.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
The fact of the matter (and I've already seen some level-headed folks in this thread say the same), is that the iPad IS NOT a laptop replacement. At least not to the degree that Apple is marketing it as.

That is NOT to say that the iPad isn't a good machine. It's awesome! It's transformed many industries. But Apple trying to sell it in ads with the whole "No, no, it's a real computer! The Tweets are wrong!" is ridiculous. Apple can just admit that the iPad fits in its own niche, but they won't. I think that's what ticks folks off.

With the way iPads are selling, Tim Cook will be forced to bring the attention back to Macs. No matter how bad he wants the iPad to be the "future of computing", it's just not a device that can fit all needs into one device.

I've pondered this. In some of the recent earnings reports, the Macs have made Apple MORE money than iPads. I hope that this helps Apple to wake up to the fact that "Whoa! People still buy these things! And they're making us money!" and then start putting more resources into the Mac line. The problem at Apple is that their bread and butter is ONE product line (by a LARGE margin) -- the iPhone. That's why all other products lines are second-class citizens.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I mean, if you want to completely ignore my point about standalone-ness, that's up to you.
Your point was not about standalone-ness but attempting to forward YOUR definition of what defines a "true computer"... and that your definition is the correct one. If you had said that the iPad couldn't replace a laptop for YOU unless it did "X" then I would be in agreement that for YOU the iPad couldn't replace a notebook running OSX.

But when you attempt to be the arbiter of what is and isn't universally a "true computer" then you have overstepped your opinion and preference by trying to promote that belief as "fact".

The fact of the matter (and I've already seen some level-headed folks in this thread say the same), is that the iPad IS NOT a laptop replacement. At least not to the degree that Apple is marketing it as.
What exactly is Apple marketing that is not true?

Reactions: bensisko

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I mean, if you want to completely ignore my point about standalone-ness, that's up to you. Personally I think it's ironic how an "iPad Pro" can't even support itself with app-development if you're into that, or that you can't use an iPad Pro as a means of backing up your other devices like your iPhone, or that you can't use anything beyond what you're given from the stock App Store or music store apps Apple gives you.

On the other hand, you have desktops and laptops that can handle all that and more, even if you choose not to use them for that purpose. The iPad doesn't have that option yet, so it doesn't compare to a desktop or laptop. Yes, you can argue that an iPad meets the needs of most people, but that's a narrow scope that ignores the fact that it can't satisfy everyone.

And for the record, I do think Xcode should be Windows/Linux supported.

sracer wasn't ignoring your point. You didn't put the "for me" qualifier in your statement so it looks like you're addressing EVERBODY's needs vs. just your own.

If you meant to leave out the qualifier, sracer was correct - these can be/are "stand alone" machines for some people.

If you meant that it's not a standalone machine for you, then only you can judge that.

If you meant that "standalone" means they need to be able to develop their own applications to be considered "standalone"... I'm not sure I agree (namely because few machines are "standalone" - considering internet access and all - and considering you can develop web apps on the iPad, then you have to say "native, iOS iPad applications...)...

... point being I don't think being able to develop apps on the machine makes it "not a true computer" or even "standalone".
[doublepost=1487626632][/doublepost]

That's not a Fact, that's an opinion.

Also, do I have to agree with you to be considered "level headed"?
[doublepost=1487626867][/doublepost]
I've pondered this. In some of the recent earnings reports, the Macs have made Apple MORE money than iPads. I hope that this helps Apple to wake up to the fact that "Whoa! People still buy these things! And they're making us money!" and then start putting more resources into the Mac line. The problem at Apple is that their bread and butter is ONE product line (by a LARGE margin) -- the iPhone. That's why all other products lines are second-class citizens.

In terms of revenue, Macs make more money than iPads. In terms of units sold, iPad outsells the Mac almost 2-1.

And yes, both are FAR eclipsed by iPhone.

Reactions: M. Gustave

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
That's not a Fact, that's an opinion.

Also, do I have to agree with you to be considered "level headed"?
You don't have to agree with me to be considered "level headed," no.

Regarding iPads not being laptop replacements, let me pull an excerpt from my other post:
At least not to the degree that Apple is marketing it as.
[doublepost=1487628247][/doublepost]
What exactly is Apple marketing that is not true?
The name of the most recent ad is "Better than a computer." I get what Apple is marketing and I for one think that Apple has, for a long time, had some of the best marketing in the industry. But the iPad Pro ads come off as a bit pretentious, and even delusional.

Don't just ask me -- look at the original post. Not too good of a like to dislike ratio on that video.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
The name of the most recent ad is "Better than a computer." I get what Apple is marketing and I for one think that Apple has, for a long time, had some of the best marketing in the industry. But the iPad Pro ads come off as a bit pretentious, and even delusional.

Don't just ask me -- look at the original post. Not too good of a like to dislike ratio on that video.

You won't get any argument from me that the new ads are terrible - I would even agree they're pretentious, but not delusional. The ONE thing I will give the ads is that they don't over-step their bounds (it's also one of my big complaints about the ads - they don't do anything risky). They're very safe - they're not advertising anything that's untrue. Even the tagline "Better than a computer" can be true (in certain circumstances).

Apple is going out on no limbs here.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Even the tagline "Better than a computer" can be true (in certain circumstances).

Apple is going out on no limbs here.

In a great many other circumstances a computer will be better than an iPad. I mean we can split hairs on what is an over-reaching marketing statement. I think this one just rubs a lot of people the wrong way, which means it's probably not the best angle.

Also people are getting pounced on here for not explicitly qualifying their opinions as solely their own an not an absolute statement. Maybe Apple should have to add the "in certain circumstances" disclaimer to their own tag line? ;)

Reactions: v0lume4

dingclancy23

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
They do need to make lower prices for this.

I agree but its still not ready for the vast majority of the people they're targeting. However, for the people who could always use an iPad as a PC replacement, the multitasking features would have been an added bonus rather than the key feature.
The thing is that what iPads need to become PC replacements for the people they're targeting is Mac features (trackpad support, windowed apps, file system, etc.), essentially turning it into a touch screen Mac tablet with an ARM processor. I'm starting to agree that a merge of macOS and iOS would be benificial now.

I love my iPad, and I believe it is better than a PC, but seeing the sentiment and also the YouTube likes and dislikes makes me convinced that the iPad is in a losing situation if they cannot convince the public of the narrative. Maybe Tim Cook should have not made that proclamation because it is indeed a bold claim, and everything that the iPad can do will be up against very high expectations.

Of course the other way for this to work is for Apple to deliver the vision as they have always done. But this is a tough wall to climb.

This is nothing new, when the iPhone came out, the tech and the customers also dead-panned it. But it was a game changer. The iPad did not have to be proclaimed that is the future of computing, it just has to be, damn the expectations.
[doublepost=1487642943][/doublepost]
I mean, if you want to completely ignore my point about standalone-ness, that's up to you. Personally I think it's ironic how an "iPad Pro" can't even support itself with app-development if you're into that, or that you can't use an iPad Pro as a means of backing up your other devices like your iPhone, or that you can't use anything beyond what you're given from the stock App Store or music store apps Apple gives you.

On the other hand, you have desktops and laptops that can handle all that and more, even if you choose not to use them for that purpose. The iPad doesn't have that option yet, so it doesn't compare to a desktop or laptop. Yes, you can argue that an iPad meets the needs of most people, but that's a narrow scope that ignores the fact that it can't satisfy everyone.

The Mac cannot satisfy everyone too, can a Mac navigate for you on transit? As a Map the Mac is unusable.
As a drawing canvas the Mac is terrible.
I cannot even get all my files from the cloud on the Mac from the several services that I own in one interface, that is so old.

The Mac is just not a really computer. /s

Last edited:

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
In a great many other circumstances a computer will be better than an iPad. I mean we can split hairs on what is an over-reaching marketing statement. I think this one just rubs a lot of people the wrong way, which means it's probably not the best angle.

I don't disagree. I fully believe that the iPad can "be the main computer (or ONLY computer)" for a great number of people, but I'm not sure you can successfully argue that via an Ad campaign. I would suggest that Apple use it's newfound interest in creating original content to create a reality show somewhat like "30 Day iPad Challenge" where people of varying jobs and use cases try using only the iPad for their computer tasks. Something like a nerd version of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" or something.

Anyway, the point being I think you hit it on the head - Apple's marketing department finally bit off more than it can chew.

Also people are getting pounced on here for not explicitly qualifying their opinions as solely their own an not an absolute statement. Maybe Apple should have to add the "in certain circumstances" disclaimer to their own tag line? ;)

There's a reason for that - especially when on message boards - if you aren't qualifying your response you're stating something as universal. There's a big difference between saying "This is true universally" and "This is true for me". The latter is valid as a fact, while the former is not a fact.

Apple has enough Legal text that says "in certain circumstances" in the fine print.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I'm a little surprised as well, only because it indicates people maybe wising up a bit. When the iPad came out it was a well designed device with an operating system that made it an amazing consumption device.

What I think people are beginning to see through is how the ad is presenting the way things were 7 years ago. PC viruses? Windows 10 is less susceptible to them, perhaps close to as safe as OS X now. Also, phones have bigger screens which make them able to bridge the gap between the computer and the iPad without the need for the iPad.

The problem with these ads is they are Apple's marketing view of the way things are today, yet they don't realize it's now 2017 not 2011. It's interesting since Apple is now at its peak valuation in the marketplace, yet in a lot of ways they are really being left behind. Maybe what these ads tell us most is that Apple doesn't realize they are being left behind.

Reactions: v0lume4

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
What I think people are beginning to see through is how the ad is presenting the way things were 7 years ago. PC viruses? Windows 10 is less susceptible to them, perhaps close to as safe as OS X now.

Heh - no. Not even close. Windows 10 is still PLENTY susceptible to viruses.

It's interesting since Apple is now at its peak valuation in the marketplace, yet in a lot of ways they are really being left behind. Maybe what these ads tell us most is that Apple doesn't realize they are being left behind.

I think that's extreme. Apple made some bad ads - it's not the Applepocolypse. At worst, Apple may need to rethink how they approach iPad Marketing. At best, they made some bad ads and will dump or modify the campaign.

Amaze

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
Am I the only one thinking that Apple should shift the focus on iPad marketing towards the benefits that it is a bigger screen iPhone?

I know that it was the haters opinion when the iPad came out that it ONLY is a bigger screen iPhone/iPod Touch.

But for me, that is the reason why I love my iPad. I love my iPhone and when I have that in a 75 % bigger screen, I love it even more.

Since the iPhone has selled over BILLION units, it should be no surprise that the market is there.

That said I do like the fact that the iPad is getting closer to the laptop/desktop world with split screen and such. It will only be better with "bonus features" over the iPhone. Let´s not forget that the iPhone is the main computer for a lot of people.

The price should be a tad lower IMHO, or create some kind of combo-pricing with the iPhone.

Ps. This a consumers point of view. I know a lot cannot do their work on an iPad. But as a PERSONAL computer, an iPhone with a bigger screen would be just fine.

Seed101

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
Like many who take the time to post on here, I'm not really, 'the average punter'...I suspect the average punter looks at an iPad like a glorified phone, the onus on consuming content rather than creating.

Apple are attempting to place it beyond that and not being entirely successful, at the moment.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Apple is trying to gain new customers with these ads since most iPad users are pretty loyal. I'm not sure where so many on here get off saying there's no way an iPad is a computer because of X, Y or Z. But if you're an average person that just wants to browse the web, check email, watch YouTube or do a little light work.....then an iPad is very much a computer.

They're trying to change what the definition of a computer is. Why is that such a bad thing? Why are so many insulted by this?? FOR MANY it can be their computer. Who cares? It's not like this is some secret. Go back and look last few keynotes talking about iPads. They ALWAYS say " the iPad is our vision of the future of personal computing".

If Apple pushing the iPad as a computer is new then you all clearly haven't been paying attention for the past few years.

The only thing Apple is guilty of is not doing this sooner since this is the first iPad campaign in over a year.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
They do need to make lower prices for this.

I love my iPad, and I believe it is better than a PC, but seeing the sentiment and also the YouTube likes and dislikes makes me convinced that the iPad is in a losing situation if they cannot convince the public of the narrative. Maybe Tim Cook should have not made that proclamation because it is indeed a bold claim, and everything that the iPad can do will be up against very high expectations.

Of course the other way for this to work is for Apple to deliver the vision as they have always done. But this is a tough wall to climb.

This is nothing new, when the iPhone came out, the tech and the customers also dead-panned it. But it was a game changer. The iPad did not have to be proclaimed that is the future of computing, it just has to be, damn the expectations.
[doublepost=1487642943][/doublepost]

The Mac cannot satisfy everyone too, can a Mac navigate for you on transit? As a Map the Mac is unusable.
As a drawing canvas the Mac is terrible.
I cannot even get all my files from the cloud on the Mac from the several services that I own in one interface, that is so old.

The Mac is just not a really computer. /s
I agree with that, while it is better than a computer for a lot of things, there are a lot of things that it's not better for. However, there is nothing about a Mac that means it can't be in an iPad form factor and that's what they're implying in these ads. I think you're right when you say that it should have been left to be the future of computer rather than Apple promoting it too early and in a bad way.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
PC viruses? Windows 10 is less susceptible to them, perhaps close to as safe as OS X now.

That's what Microsoft wants you to believe. However, their code isn't new, Windows 10 is mostly window dressing. It shares security vulnerabilities with all previous versions of Windows (back to XP), such as the recent null-pointer dereference in file sharing, which is being exploited in the wild and still unpatched.

Reactions: bensisko

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Apple is trying to gain new customers with these ads since most iPad users are pretty loyal. I'm not sure where so many on here get off saying there's no way an iPad is a computer because of X, Y or Z. But if you're an average person that just wants to browse the web, check email, watch YouTube or do a little light work.....then an iPad is very much a computer.

They're trying to change what the definition of a computer is. Why is that such a bad thing? Why are so many insulted by this?? FOR MANY it can be their computer. Who cares? It's not like this is some secret. Go back and look last few keynotes talking about iPads. They ALWAYS say " the iPad is our vision of the future of personal computing".

If Apple pushing the iPad as a computer is new then you all clearly haven't been paying attention for the past few years.

The only thing Apple is guilty of is not doing this sooner since this is the first iPad campaign in over a year.
I agree, many people on this forum don't realize that the iPad is a suitable replacement for many average consumers who are looking for a computer to do those listed tasks. But that's also nothing new - for those people the iPad has always been a suitable replacement and they have one. And I think Apple know that, which is why they are trying to appeal beyond that segment into the Mac buyer space.

It's not news that Apple believe the iPad is the future of computing - That's been the view of the iPad since it's introduction in 2010. But this is the first time they're advertising it as a computer replacement to a new segment of the market - essentially positioning it as a MacBook competitor.

There are several reasons why people care. Apple positioning this as a replacement for PCs really puts into question Apples commitment to the Mac for many users that rely on the Macs as well as Mac customers. They have nothing to worry about for the most part but hopefully you can see why it's misleading to some people.

And they're doing this too early because they're targeting a segment of the market where they wouldn't consider the iPad as a Mac replacement for their usage. For average consumers, they don't need this advertising to change their mind as, like I said, nearly all of those people have already replaced their PC usage with an iPad. Most people in the segment they're targeting now like the iPad, but would like it to be like a touchscreen Mac tablet rather than an iOS one.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I agree, many people on this forum don't realize that the iPad is a suitable replacement for many average consumers who are looking for a computer to do those listed tasks. But that's also nothing new - for those people the iPad has always been a suitable replacement and they have one. And I think Apple know that, which is why they are trying to appeal beyond that segment into the Mac buyer space.

It's not news that Apple believe the iPad is the future of computing - That's been the view of the iPad since it's introduction in 2010. But this is the first time they're advertising it as a computer replacement to a new segment of the market - essentially positioning it as a MacBook competitor.

There are several reasons why people care. Apple positioning this as a replacement for PCs really puts into question Apples commitment to the Mac for many users that rely on the Macs as well as Mac customers. They have nothing to worry about for the most part but hopefully you can see why it's misleading to some people.

And they're doing this too early because they're targeting a segment of the market where they wouldn't consider the iPad as a Mac replacement for their usage. For average consumers, they don't need this advertising to change their mind as, like I said, nearly all of those people have already replaced their PC usage with an iPad. Most people in the segment they're targeting now like the iPad, but would like it to be like a touchscreen Mac tablet rather than an iOS one.
Mostly agree but I still think there is a huge untapped market of casual computer users out there. For the first time my mom of all people who is 55 is considering just getting an giant iPad pro refurb because it'll be easy to use around the house and doesn't want to spend $1000 on a laptop. The mentality is that it can do everything she needs including editing the one off word document here and there and print it out. I'll concede more than half of the people who want an iPad probably have one but theres enough out there to tap the market. Hell even the wildly popular iPhone has huge potential in untapped markets.

Reactions: Appleaker

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Mostly agree but I still think there is a huge untapped market of casual computer users out there. For the first time my mom of all people who is 55 is considering just getting an giant iPad pro refurb because it'll be easy to use around the house and doesn't want to spend $1000 on a laptop. The mentality is that it can do everything she needs including editing the one off word document here and there and print it out. I'll concede more than half of the people who want an iPad probably have one but theres enough out there to tap the market. Hell even the wildly popular iPhone has huge potential in untapped markets.
Yeah I think there is potential for that but Apple is pushing too hard with people who won't be switching right now, and maybe even ever depending on what Apple do with the iPad. In my opinion, this along with extended Mac refreshes is hurting the brands status with those people. I would have loved to seen ads that were positioned to a realistic audience which would have been more effective. I think the 'Whats a computer?' ad was actually really good, but the narrative of replacing traditional computers kind of ruined it for me. It was good because it showed off the multitasking capabilities as well as the keyboard - things which haven't really been shown in their video advertising. Similarly something like the Word ad in this campaign would be perfect for the realistic audience, and I think that is shown by the fact it is the least hated ad out of the 4.

dingclancy23

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
Also the price has to be lower.

The success of the first iPad came from the fact that it was $499. During the first keynote everybody thought that the tablet will cost upwards to $1,000. But Steve Jobs said it is $499 because they want everyone to have it. And that made a dent. The iPad launch was bigger than the original iPhone launch. The apps that came on day 1 were just crazy many that all major website had to keep a running diary of the launch day apps. There was real buzz to it.

Forward 7 years later, to get the best iPad (9.7 pro) you need to shell out $599. No one want to buy an Air 2 this year because they do not have the latest and greatest iPad for the affordable price they want. I believe they have to keep the iPad prices as low as possible so that everyone can have it. There is no replacement for the iPad in today's market anyway. But a shrinking market is worrisome because they would not be able to push the narrative of personal computing if they are just 5% - 7% of the PC market.

In marketshare, Chromebooks are right up there, and Google will have a say on the future of personal computing if this trend continues.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Also the price has to be lower.

The success of the first iPad came from the fact that it was $499. During the first keynote everybody thought that the tablet will cost upwards to $1,000. But Steve Jobs said it is $499 because they want everyone to have it. And that made a dent. The iPad launch was bigger than the original iPhone launch. The apps that came on day 1 were just crazy many that all major website had to keep a running diary of the launch day apps. There was real buzz to it.

Forward 7 years later, to get the best iPad (9.7 pro) you need to shell out $599. No one want to buy an Air 2 this year because they do not have the latest and greatest iPad for the affordable price they want. I believe they have to keep the iPad prices as low as possible so that everyone can have it. There is no replacement for the iPad in today's market anyway. But a shrinking market is worrisome because they would not be able to push the narrative of personal computing if they are just 5% - 7% of the PC market.

In marketshare, Chromebooks are right up there, and Google will have a say on the future of personal computing if this trend continues.
Well considering computers like MacBook pros are $2000 , price isn't a huge issue. A lot of people who would've bought an expensive laptop in the past just need an iPad now and it's a fraction of the price. It's cheaper than a damn iPhone.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I don't disagree. I fully believe that the iPad can "be the main computer (or ONLY computer)" for a great number of people, but I'm not sure you can successfully argue that via an Ad campaign. I would suggest that Apple use it's newfound interest in creating original content to create a reality show somewhat like "30 Day iPad Challenge" where people of varying jobs and use cases try using only the iPad for their computer tasks. Something like a nerd version of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" or something.

Anyway, the point being I think you hit it on the head - Apple's marketing department finally bit off more than it can chew.
I keep on seeing people constantly claim that an iPad can replace computers for a a great number of people. What is that number? 100 people? 1000? 10000?

Do you know anyone who has ditched their computer for an iPad? Neither do I. It's because there are a great many things the iPad Pro simply cannot do without lots of compromises. And all it takes is for ONE task to NOT be fulfilled by an iPad, for it NOT be a suitable replacement for a computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.