Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Apple is not a luxury brand, they're a mass-market brand.

Mass Market (Apple) and Louis Vuitton (Niche) Can still both be (perceived) luxury. Certainly Apple is at the lower end of the luxury scale whilst Vuitton is at the higher, its smaller scale is what allows it to be so personalised and exclusive, something Apple cannot achieve. The definition of what a luxury brand is has never really been universally agreed on, so it becomes a bar for you to set.

I don't have a Louis Vuitton Boutique close enough so it would mean if I really wanted to buy I need to go to the website and get what I wanted, Kinda takes the magic out of your suggested experience of buying from them and makes them nothing more than an expensive online outlet. Sounds like Apple.

I have an Apple store close by but I still go to their website, I want to buy a product, not go along and get my ass kissed because I am spending large sums of money, but whatever works for you.

More now than ever Apple is aiming its sights on purchasers who have money to spend on lifestyle focussed tech bling, not those looking for something cheap or offers value for money. iPhones aside as they are largely matched with consumers through airtime agreements as they would not for the most part be able to afford them.

Rarity is certainly something that Apple devices lack that I would consider a requirement for being a luxury brand however the ethos of being at the highest end of the price bracket for the related market, Aesthetics , quality, design and so on are very much where Apple believe they excel, in the 'luxury' market, as do enough of their loyal following that puts them on a high enough pedestal.

Apple sells design first and foremost, see how great it looks before you consider how practical it is in every day use. It's selling a lifestyle not a computer.

Anyway, just some musings, and an interesting discussion, not one for here though.

Last edited:

jesChexin

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2018
I know that beggars can’t be choosers, but does anyone know if the discounts will apply to the refurbished store as well?

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
I'm confused... Why on earth would a company incentivize purchasing old products instead of new ones? I don't get it at all.

I think once a car company offered incentives on the previous years models. You're right, it sounds pretty odd so maybe it's just a legend and never actually happened.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Right, which is why it’s business as usual. People implied they were struggling this year and would offer deals on the newest lines.

Given x million people have just purchased one of these phones at full price, Apple won't p**s them off by offering a discount so soon. It would also encourage people not to buy at launch and wait for a deal, they don't want that either.

Reactions: jimthing

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Given x million people have just purchased one of these phones at full price, Apple won't p**s them off by offering a discount so soon. It would also encourage people not to buy at launch and wait for a deal, they don't want that either.
Apple doesn’t care about that. If they needed to lower prices, they would. Quickly.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Apple doesn’t care about that. If they needed to lower prices, they would. Quickly.

You have your answer to that then, they are not lowering the prices. As always it is buy a full price item and get a gift card of varying value.

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
I know that beggars can’t be choosers, but does anyone know if the discounts will apply to the refurbished store as well?

Considering it says it doesn't apply to refurbished models in the original post, I would assume not.
[doublepost=1542927109][/doublepost]
It used to be that we'd pay the "Apple tax" (as some call it) but in return we'd get great support and products that last years longer than the competition. I have returned countless new iPads (and one iPhone) over the years because of defective screens. My current iPad (12.9 gen 2) suffers from the unresponsive screen issue and just recently started bleeding light--this after 14 months of gentle use at home. My 12-inch MacBook has that "revolutionary" new keyboard where keys randomly stop working.

Now take all this and throw on another 20%-30% price increase for the same products as last year.

Let's be clear....the majority of Apple products don't get returned. If that were the case, the company would be reporting very different numbers in their earning reports. The amount of people with issues will naturally grow as they sell more devices. Most people don't go online to tell everyone when their devices have been functioning well, they go online when things don't work. Without seeing a percentage of devices returned with defects YoY there's no way for us to tell if things are getting better or worse. Just because you've personally experienced it, doesn't mean this is the case for the majority of customers. I haven't returned an Apple product for being defecting in years, in fact I haven't had a repair done since the iPhone 6. My household has probably 20 Apple devices and we aren't sending things in for repair all day.

Last edited:

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
MacBook’s have the keyboard issue, they also have the T2 chip issue, software glitches, random restarts and so on, it’s simply not acceptable on devices that include an “Apple tax” something I use to be ok with paying because I knew I was getting a great, reliable product, that simply isn’t the case anymore. They then also bump the prices of new devices like the iPad Pro 2018 up even more, for me it’s just rubbing salt in an already open wound.

The iPad Pro 2018 prices are ridiculous, for the same price you can get a Surface Pro 6, which are even on offer at the moment with the Black Friday deals.
[doublepost=1542913352][/doublepost]

Apple give a 1 year warranty, I don’t know anything about a 2 year one with the EU? They just told me it would cost if the technician found an issue, because it’s out of warranty and I don’t have Apple Care their out of warranty fee is a whooping £566.44, which is around half of what a new device would cost!
2 yrs is the EU standard min. warrantee period for consumer capital goods.
I threatened to bring Apple to court 5 years ago, as they tried to evade that regulation saying my Macbook did come from N-Ireland.
However it was ordered and delivered in Holland, so under Dutch => EU legislaten.
Finally Apple conceded by the lack of alternative. It appears they never sought to conform to EU terms because ????
I don’t know if they are led by prehistoric autocrats from times there was no regulation, or have contempt for anything remotely resembling a customer, but the effect was strikingly similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave245

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Let's be clear....the majority of Apple products don't get returned. If that were the case, the company would be reporting very different numbers in their earning reports. The amount of people with issues will naturally grow as they sell more devices. Most people don't go online to tell everyone when their devices have been functioning well, they go online when things don't work. Without seeing a percentage of devices returned with defects YoY there's no way for us to tell if things are getting better or worse. Just because you've personally experienced it, doesn't mean this is the case for the majority of customers. I haven't returned an Apple product for being defecting in years, in fact I haven't had a repair done since the iPhone 6. My household has probably 20 Apple devices and we aren't sending things in for repair all day.

I'm going to go ahead and agree with you because I think you are correct. At the end of the day we have no way of knowing what percentage of people are returning products for repair (or even "just because"), but it's likely not the majority. I genuinely believe my personal experience is the exception to the norm (if it is not, then people are stupid for putting up with such crappy hardware). But my experience is my own and it affects my decisions when making purchases.

I can say that while defective hardware has absolutely affected my perception, it's only one facet of that perception. The larger part is that Apple has continued to increase its prices without an equal increase in value to me. I'm okay if other people find value in Apple's recent products, it's just that I do not. I actually do want Apple to be successful even if I don't by their products because I think some of their focus has merit (reducing child labour, conflict minerals, etc.).

Reactions: FrostyF

Gadge Goblin

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2014
Just a thought, could I buy a product get the gift card and use it for something I want then send the original item back using the 14 day returns policy??

Gadge Goblin

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2014
Just a thought, could I buy a product get the gift card and use it for something I want then send the original item back using the 14 day returns policy??

Ok scrub that idea

PROCEDURES RELATED TO PRODUCT RETURNS AND EXCHANGES: Returns and exchanges are subject to the policy of the Qualifying Location where the purchase was made. The Apple Store Gift Card received with the purchase of an Eligible Product must be returned with such Eligible Product in order to receive a full refund for that purchase. If the Apple Store Gift Card is missing, is not returned or has been redeemed, the full original value of the Apple Store Gift Card will be deducted from the exchange or refund of the Eligible Product.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Glad I wasn’t disappointed that I just bought an rMBA 2018.
Not that I ever had expected Apple to offer Black Friday discount on their newest releases.
Clearance sale of the old stuff, nice take. But I am good for now.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
A gift card and not even against the latest phones.
[doublepost=1542970465][/doublepost]
Every American ‘thing’ becomes a global thing now all use the internet. America sets the standard for most thing and this is another example.
They don't really use the metric system.
They are just getting chip and pin.
They are behind on a few things :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.