Apple's 'Carpool Karaoke: The Series' Television Show Now Available on Apple Music

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 8, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's second original television series, "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" premiered tonight and is now available to stream via Apple Music if you have an Apple Music subscription.

The first episode of the series, which is based on the Carpool Karaoke segment made popular by "The Late Late Show With James Corden," stars James Corden himself and Will Smith. The show starts out with Corden and Smith singing "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It," with a full marching band joining in at a stop.

[​IMG]

The two then move on, discussing the history behind the song, before going on to sing additional Will Smith songs, including the theme song for "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air," a TV show Smith starred in from 1990 to 1996.

Produced by James Corden, Ben Winston, and Eric Pankowski, new episodes of "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" will debut on Tuesdays on Apple Music. Each episode will feature a different host and celebrity pairing, with episode length varying each week based on the content.

Participants will include Will Smith and James Corden; Miley, Noah, Billy Ray and the entire Cyrus family; Shakira and Trevor Noah; Game of Thrones stars Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams; Queen Latifah and Jada Pinkett Smith; John Legend, Alicia Keys and Taraji P. Henson; LeBron James and James Corden; and more.

"Carpool Karaoke: The Series" is Apple's second original television show designed for Apple Music subscribers. "Planet of the Apps," the company's first television series, came out back in June.

Update: Apple has also uploaded two new trailers for "Carpool Karaoke: The Series," teasing future episodes starring Alicia Keys and John Legend and Billy Eichner and Metallica.

Article Link: Apple's 'Carpool Karaoke: The Series' Television Show Now Available on Apple Music

2. profets macrumors 68040

I can't believe this new video content is buried within Apple Music. And not even at the top level. There has to be a better way.

3. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

4. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502

BaltimoreMediaBlog

5. icrude macrumors regular

6. Sill macrumors 6502

I've been mocking Apple's Mobile Funtime Singalong since it debuted, and then they hit me between the eyes with Metallica. I figured I'd finally crumble and take a look. Click the link and <shazam!> it takes me to a page for Apple Music. Reality set in as I realized I'm not going to pay $10/month to watch one episode of a music show.

7. displayblock macrumors member

This would make for some great content on iTunes Ping…

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Please open up a Carpool Karaoke sub forum on mac rumors so we can all get together and discuss this show!

9. joueboy macrumors 65816

10. prasand macrumors regular

prasand

Buried deep? For me it shows at the top of the browse page. Perhaps it’s because i’m on the developer beta and they addressed the issue?

11. LVdustin macrumors regular

Just finished the first episode. It was okay...Just felt like a longer segment on James Corden without the laugh track, as much as a laugh track is annoying, it also would help put context to what would feel funny at times instead of awkward. Other than that, I am looking forward to future episodes and excited for what other content will develop in the future.

12. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

Enough already! Please spare us from this rubbish.

13. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

14. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

15. DisNerd macrumors member

16. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I enjoyed it and it had some pretty funny bits. Since leaving Scientology (rumors, but still a noticeable change in behavior over the years), Will Smith seems to be more like his younger, care-free and easy going self! Glad to see that reflected in this episode.

17. BootsWalking, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

The next episode will feature Fonzie jumping over a shark.

18. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502

BaltimoreMediaBlog

As David Letterman would say, "Somebody make it stop!" or "I don't like to sing or dance or be around people who do." :D
    How much is Apple paying Macrumours to run these repeated Carpool Karaoke ads?

19. 2b1ask1 Suspended

20. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

OMG! This is horrible? There are some talented people here, but.......

Apple music , IMHO, is sliding downhill. Where is the entertainment value? In the absurdity of it all?

21. wigby, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2017

wigby macrumors 65816

Because everyone wants to read and comment about how terrible the show and Apple have become. Meanwhile, the first few shows on every streaming video network have all been questionable at best. It only takes one hit show so there's no reason to believe that by this time next year, Apple will have a hit of their own and several more shows to grow out their original content...same as every streaming network service out there.

I never watched a single minute of the original carpool karaoke segment but I just watched this show. It was well done but not unlike most talk shows with celebrities. Fun but a giant commercial attempt to humanize big stars and sell their wares. I want to watch another episode but only to see the dynamic with James Cordan because I'm curious if the host is really important and who steps up to act as as host. The karaoke itself was probably the weakest part. Will Smith sang mostly his own songs. Isn't the point of the segment that artists and celebrities do other people's material, kind of like real karaoke? But I guess people don't care about the karaoke part?

22. wigby macrumors 65816

It's called carpool karaoke. Were you really expecting more than celebrities singing in a car? I think it delivered exactly what it promised it's audience the same way that pop music delivers exactly what it promises.

23. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

Apple makes some of the creative tools, but certainly not the creative content.

24. nameischarles macrumors member

nameischarles

The 8 minute version is available on James Corden YouTube channel, not long before someone posts the whole episode on YouTube.