Apple's Craig Federighi: Uncertainty About Face ID Will 'Melt Away' Once People Get iPhone X

whohasaquestion

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
You can swipe up before looking and you'll be at the home screen right away.
[doublepost=1505746814][/doublepost]
o_O so...look at the device to unlock > Look away > Swipe up > Look at the device again...Voila, home screen right there!

Not sure if trolling...
[doublepost=1505769502][/doublepost]
How does FaceID work with iTunes purchases and in-app purchases? I've gotten to a payment screen a couple of times by accident or intentionally to see the total when the use touchId prompt comes up and I'm like -- oops, cancel out of this! But, this seems more difficult with FaceID? Unless it has some confirmation before just scanning your face maybe? Is there a good video demo of that working?

Just watched the video on the post: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-pay-cash-future-update-ios-11-watchos-4.2068746/ -- I can definitely see accidental purchases happening...
Hmmm...Tim Cook on keynote stage "Since the implementation of FaceID, we have seen lots of users making purchase using FaceID, Clearly, users love FaceID, it's so easy!"....

Last edited:

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I think you're missing my point slightly, the screen size is technically right, I know that. My point was that those figures are a little disingenuous - at what size an you actually view unhindered content? No notch, no rounded corners. I make it around 5.4" based on those specs (being the largest diagonal you can see a squared off rectangle (ie Film/video/website) before it becomes impeded by any intrusions. It's still fine, just that anything past that notch starts to lose content so isn't pure "screen real estate".
i got into this earlier in the thread.. and i don't think it's making much sense to anybody.. but..

why are you saying a pure rectangle is the best use of space?
why does round corners equate to hindered content?

if you stopped and thought about it some, you'd see the corners of a rectangular screen/movies are rarely used for much of anything.. in movies, the corners are filled with irrelevant content just to take up space.. i'll bet $1000 you could round off the corners of the last 10 movies you saw and miss absolutely nothing..

idk, i think claiming 'rectangular viewing area' is optimal or pure... is pretty short-sighted.
(imo)
[doublepost=1505770583][/doublepost]
o_O so...look at the device to unlock > Look away > Swipe up > Look at the device again...Voila, home screen right there!

Not sure if trolling...
if it does work that way (swipe before looking) then the use case would be more like--

take phone out of pocket..
raising it up wakes it..
swipe while raising.
look at it.

it's unlocked.

seems pretty good if it will work like that.. super fast/easy

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I think that will conclude our discussion. Have fun.
ok.

but for next time, realize stuff like this:

-it screams fanboyism

-you feel obliged to make up moot points to blindly defend apple

-You are obviously unwilling to make any sane criticism on anything having an apple logo on it.

...even if you don't feel like you're being insulting or using derogatory language when saying it.. will almost definitely be read as such by those you're telling it to.. and the convo will almost always go downhill from there.
(even though i did actually try to keep it on an even keel there.. still didn't pan out well ;) )

tata

ErikGrim

macrumors 601
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
www.erikveland.com
Because it is not fluid as TouchID. It requires an extra step for FaceID with the swipe up.
It’s a swipe instead of a press. Try it on your phone right now: swipe as you pick it up. Not really different or harder.
[doublepost=1505797068][/doublepost]

Not sure if trolling...
You or him?

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
It’s a swipe instead of a press. Try it on your phone right now: swipe as you pick it up. Not really different or harder.
[doublepost=1505797068][/doublepost]
You or him?
It's a bit harder to swipe up one handed than using touch ID, I'll give that (you have to do it with you thumb). So you lose slightly in that regards. But, that's it.

AsherN

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2016
Canada
on the iPhone X, all that stuff up top has dedicated areas to sit in.. it won't be sitting on top of the app nor will the app be blocked by the notch.. you'll have more vertical space for the app without losing any of the status info.
That area should have been dedicated for system use. A full size app should never be able to access it. That would have been a brilliant use of real estate. Bonus points if that area could have changed colour to match the app, but at least, use the wallpaper when on home screen and black when apps are displayed. A useful "bezel".

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
That area should have been dedicated for system use. A full size app should never be able to access it. That would have been a brilliant use of real estate. Bonus points if that area could have changed colour to match the app, but at least, use the wallpaper when on home screen and black when apps are displayed. A useful "bezel".
you mean on phones beside the X?
if so, the apps can go underneath the status info if the developer chooses.. UI buttons etc however don't work up there (in any apps that i know of).. Chase.app on a 6s for example:

IMG_0767.PNG

i assume the same will be true on the X if devs so desire.. the imagery will be allowed to flood the nooks up top.

----
but, i'm probably misunderstanding what you've said ; )
?

-------------------------
[EDIT]
fwiw, a different explanation of what i was saying in the post you quoted..

some people who don't like the notch would (i assume) rather have the top of the screen being a straight bezel.. doing that would have done this:

the one on the left is how the iPhone X is.. the red is where the status info is going.
the one on the right is how it would be if they made a straight bezel up there.. less vertical height since the status info would have to encroach upon the app canvas again.

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 10.16.24 AM.png

Last edited:

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
It's a bit harder to swipe up one handed than using touch ID, I'll give that (you have to do it with you thumb). So you lose slightly in that regards. But, that's it.
It's not the swipe that's the problem, is the bringing the phone up to see your face. With the fingerprint reader, by the time I look at my phone, it's already unlocked.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
YES. Face ID works when it sees your face, and locks you out when too many other people have tried it. That's called working.

From the article:
"Federighi said he was shocked when it happened because the feature normally "just works."

Why would Federighi say that if it actually DID work?

Given the choice of the notch of the iPhone X or the chin of the Sharp Aquos Crystal (which was my daily driver for 2 years), I'll take (it on) the chin. :)
View attachment 718448

AsherN

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2016
Canada
you mean on phones beside the X?
if so, the apps can go underneath the status info if the developer chooses.. UI buttons etc however don't work up there (in any apps that i know of).. Chase.app on a 6s for example:

View attachment 718948

i assume the same will be true on the X if devs so desire.. the imagery will be allowed to flood the nooks up top.

----
but, i'm probably misunderstanding what you've said ; )
?

-------------------------
[EDIT]
fwiw, a different explanation of what i was saying in the post you quoted..

some people who don't like the notch would (i assume) rather have the top of the screen being a straight bezel.. doing that would have done this:

the one on the left is how the iPhone X is.. the red is where the status info is going.
the one on the right is how it would be if they made a straight bezel up there.. less vertical height since the status info would have to encroach upon the app canvas again.

View attachment 718953

No, I mean status info on the left and right of the notch, like currently done. But make that area unavailable to apps.