Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is likely planning to bring custom microLED displays to the iPhone, iPad, and Mac after the technology debuts in a new version of the Apple Watch Ultra currently scheduled to launch by the end of 2024, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

iphone-13-pro-display-shot.jpg

In the latest edition of his Power On newsletter, Gurman said that Apple has spent about six years developing microLED technology for what will become the first display custom-designed by the company itself, mirroring its work on Apple silicon. Earlier this week, Gurman said that Apple is planning to introduce the display technology with a new Apple Watch Ultra in 2024.

Apple reportedly kicked off its microLED project, codenamed T159, around 2017. The display is intended to offer improved brightness, color reproduction, and viewing angles, making images look more like they are "painted" atop the display glass, and replace parts currently supplied by companies like Samsung and LG.

After debuting in 2024's Apple Watch Ultra, Gurman expects Apple's custom microLED displays to expand to the iPhone, potentially followed by the iPad and the Mac at an even later date. He believes Apple's long-term plan is to bring microLED displays to all of its key products, but it could be a decade before it emerges in the Mac owing to the complexity of the technology at this early stage. For comparison, Gurman noted that the iPhone will have had OLED displays for over six years by the time they are expected to come to the iPad.

Article Link: Apple's Custom MicroLED Displays Likely Heading to iPhone, iPad, and Mac After Apple Watch Ultra

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyler O'Bannon

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
Good news.

After seeing how good the blacks are on my AWU compared to my iPhone 11, I cant look at my iPhone the same anymore 🥲

And yes I know that all the new iPhone 14s have OLED with the same black levels. I'm just saying maintaining the black levels and better battery will be welcome.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Loving mini LED and micro LED because OLED has left burn-in on my iPhone 😩
Why would your screen be on and on the Home Screen enough to burn in? I only ever saw burn in on a friends old android phone where she’ll fell asleep with it touching her skin and the phone screen stayed on all night long. Burn in doesn’t happen in normal use cases

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
The icons from the apps I use regularly have burned-in near the bottom of the display. It's visible on white backgrounds and also any white text above the burn-in area has a pink hue.
That sucks. I wonder if thats considered part of the OLED characteristics or its covered under a warranty.

I guess Ill be waiting to upgrade till its microLED since I usually keep my phone for at least 3 years.

enterthemerdaverse

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2022
Warsaw
Why would your screen be on and on the Home Screen enough to burn in? I only ever saw burn in on a friends old android phone where she’ll fell asleep with it touching her skin and the phone screen stayed on all night long. Burn in doesn’t happen in normal use cases

This is what burn-in looks like when I show it on top of a full screen white background.

Some apps have burned their icons into the display. The iOS menu bar items and task switcher also are burned in.

This isn't Apple's fault. It's just what OLED does if your display is on a lot after more than 2 years.

1673959620000.png

Last edited:

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
This is what burn-in looks like when I show it on top of a full screen white background.

Some apps have burned their icons into the display. The iOS menu bar items and task switcher also are burned in.

This isn't Apple's fault. It's just what OLED does if your display is on a lot after more than 2 years.
Damn. That's not subtle at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.