Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twiebnoyagad

Suspended
Oct 21, 2022
Too bad Oled is superior. If they bring it to the iPhone you'll hear people complain about 'blooming' among other things.

Edit: I'm sorry you all hate OLED. Apple does take devices back to recycle for free. Visit your local store today!

Last edited:

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Is this expected to solve the eye strain issues folks are having with current Apple displays (both OLED phones and LCD laptops)?

Reactions: zapmymac

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
This is what burn-in looks like when I show it on top of a full screen white background.

Some apps have burned their icons into the display. The iOS menu bar items and task switcher also are burned in.

This isn't Apple's fault. It's just what OLED does if your display is on a lot after more than 2 years.

I can corroborate this. I’m usually an annual upgrader, and get all the new phones at launch. But my 11 Pro Max was the longest I ever had an iPhone, as I didn’t get a new one until the 14 Pro Max.

After 3 years of use, there were definitely very noticeable burn-in patterns, particularly around static display elements like the homebar, or WiFi/battery indicator.

They weren’t noticeable or distracting in regular use, but if you had a solid white screen or a screen with a single flat color, you would definitely be able to see the degraded areas.

It’s not the only iPhone I’ve had burn-in on either. I only had my X and XS Max for a year each, and they both also had burn-in, if only to a lesser extent.

I don’t understand why people think Apple’s devices are magic or immune to the laws of physics. OLED displays are susceptible to burn-in. Nothing to really debunk there.

They look beautiful in regular everyday use and I’m still glad Apple uses them. These devices are meant to be used. I don’t care what the condition of the display panel is like after a year (or three) when I’m ready to upgrade the device again. It’s not my problem.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Whenever Apple gets the tech for this working and production scaling at the price they need, it'll be great and be the end of the big downside of OLED panels (burn in). So glad Apple is pushing it forward.

Guessing rollout will be gradual into products though as they keep refining it and reducing its costs. Going to be a long time before its in the base iPhone just guessing.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2013
This technology would be excellent for laptops and displays, as it would eliminate the issue of burn-in forever while retaining the benefits of OLED.
I bet it won't be cheap though...

Reactions: xmach and Scarrus
Will it have yellow tint though?
Over a decade later I still miss the original iPhone 4 display. The warm yellow tint has got to go.

iPhone 4 display for the win!

1673803114941.jpeg

032104EC-0CF2-439B-8993-2D4924E197CF.jpeg

Reactions: svish and Lcgiv

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Who would’ve guessed?

There can always be size-related issues that make a given technology not suitable for all sizes. For example, it’s probably not without reason that mini-LED is only on the 12.9” iPad. Regarding micro-LED, I imagine that there are issue of yield, e.g. the likelihood of a faulty pixel increases quadratically with the size of the display. That may be why they’re starting with the Apple Watch, given that micro-LED is a yet unproven technology.

Color accuracy is also not trivial for micro-LED (there is a range of different alternative technologies for how exactly to achieve a full-color micro-LED display), and color accuracy is arguable less important on the Apple Watch than on the larger devices.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Apple reportedly kicked off its microLED project, codenamed T159, around 2017. The display is intended to offer improved brightness, color reproduction, and viewing angles [...]
That's about 2 decades in engineering lifecycles. When will these staffers leave for competitors and start their own companies?

Reactions: Lcgiv

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Is this expected to solve the eye strain issues folks are having with current Apple displays (both OLED phones and LCD laptops)?
Not necessarily. The problem is that changing the electric current level to change the brightness of a micro-LED also affects its color (hue). For that reason, PWM is preferred for controlling brightness, because that doesn’t affect the color. At least that’s what some googling got me.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
No the 11 Pro doesn't have that. I just use the phone quite a bit while watching TV, surfing socials or reading news. During work hours only at lunch time.
Just curious, do you happen to have your phone at or near full brightness all the time too? Screen brightness also plays a role in burn in time.

Reactions: GraXXoR

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
No the 11 Pro doesn't have that. I just use the phone quite a bit while watching TV, surfing socials or reading news. During work hours only at lunch time.
Not trying to argue. But I am almost certain that one of the "features" of the 11 pro was that you could set the screen to stay on indefinitely, as in phone would not automatically go to sleep.

I just checked. Yup the 11 pro allows "never" as a setting for auto-lock. IF I am remembering correct the phones before that would not allow that selection. This definitely has led to me leaving my phone displaying the same thing for extended period of time while I forgot it somewhere. No burn-in issues here on my 11 pro from day of release, but Im definitely no power user.

But your thinking of always on. Where the phone literally always displays like the newer watches. No it does not do that.

Reactions: GraXXoR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.