Apple's Decision to Slash iPhone X Production Volume in Q1 2018 Could Delay Future OLED Models

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 29, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is set to halve its 40 million iPhone X production target in the three month period from January, reported Nikkei Asian Review on Monday without naming a source.

[​IMG]

Part of the reason for the high price tag of iPhone X is said to be down to the cost of OLED panels made by Samsung, which is the only supplier of the component that can guarantee Apple a steady supply of the screens. According to Nikkei, Apple is now considering an increase to the proportion of LCD iPhone models by reducing production of the OLED screen models scheduled for release this year.

Apple is expected to launch a trio of new iPhone models in 2018, including 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch models with OLED displays and a 6.1-inch model with an LCD display, according to respected KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. However, at least one other analyst has predicted that the LCD-to-OLED ratio this year will actually be 2:1.

DigiTimes' Luke Lin believes Apple is increasingly leaning towards releasing two LCD-based models and a single larger 6.4- to 6.5-inch OLED model. Indeed, today's Nikkei report claims lackluster sales for iPhone X could actually result in a delay to the company's plans to introduce OLED screens in other models, potentially adding weight to DigiTimes' prediction.
    Nikkei added that Apple is expected to maintain a total production target of 30 million units for lower priced models such as the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone 7. Apple Japan replied to Nikkei's request for comment by stating that it would confirm the details with headquarters.

Article Link: Apple's Decision to Slash iPhone X Production Volume in Q1 2018 Could Delay Future OLED Models

2. Cloudkicker macrumors 6502

Cloudkicker

3. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think apple misread the situation with pricing the X so high. I have one, and its a good phone, but I will say its not 1,000 good.

5. djc6 macrumors 6502a

djc6

I mostly don't want the iPhone X because of a lack of Touch ID.

Siri is always telling me "you need to unlock your iPhone first" and usually if I'm asking Siri something, it means I don't want to pickup my phone and hold it up to my face. Touching phone briefly much more convenient when its in the phone cradle on the dash of my car.

I like my headphone jack too, so iPhone 6S+ where I'm at until the phone goes kaput.

6. laudern macrumors 6502a

This is what happens when you price yourself out of the market.

7. stanleyRoper macrumors member

I'm a long-time Apple customer. When I'd upgrade my iPhone I'd get the highest capacity of the flagship model. This time around though I decided that the 64GB 8 Plus was all I was willing to spend. I'm not surprised to read that others in the market for a new iPhone came to a similar decision.

8. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Price is defiantly a factor here, don't get wrong i love my iPhone X and i'm glad i brought it however not everyone is going to spend £999 on an iPhone, i have a feeling that iPhone 8 and 8 Plus sales will be larger, also a lot of people may be waiting for a Plus version of the X which is rumoured to be coming this year.

9. Eagle1337 macrumors regular

previously sales were lower than expected in China, but now sales are also lower than expected in US and Europe? - So basically sales was lower than expected in all key markets.

10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I think the price will certainly be lower all around this year if this really is the case

11. mrzz Suspended

they literally killed it with that ridiculous price. Majority of people are not fools eager to spend ~1600USD for a phone (which is btw the official price of IPX 256G with tax and duty in many EU countries). I think the price is kind of acceptable only or mainly in the US. If they continue with a similar $ strategy for the next IP, they will be "surprised" again.
    they literally killed it with that ridiculous price. Majority of people are not fools eager to spend ~1600USD for a phone (which is btw the official Apple price of IPX 256G with tax and duty in many EU countries .. and 64G is not worth the type of the phone for many). I think the price is kind of acceptable only (or mainly) in the US. If they continue with a similar strategy for the next IP, they will be "surprised" again..

12. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Price was an absolute non-issue for me
    I used the Apple upgrade and was going to get the iPhone 8 Plus, mainly because I was concerned over Face ID
    Once I used one at the store, I walked out the the X and never thought twice about the price differential, it was negligible to me
    I simply bought the phone I wanted

That's not everyone's situation, obviously, and I understand some not seeing the value of the price differential

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Price and features, ok so you want to sell a phone for 1,000 dollars, but the competition is largely selling similary configured phones for less and that's a bitter bill to swallow. I get that Faceid is more advanced then what Samsung has to offer (yet it seems FaceID is fails to unlock for many people). To the average consumer I don't think they care about how advanced it is. Its just facial recognition

14. Princejb134 macrumors 6502

i guess im one of the few that dont miss the headphone jack. Im still using my iphone 6s, but after i bought the airpods. I can't ever go back to going wired again. I feel like the wires is always in my way

15. Populus, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018

Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

When an iPhone costs more than a MacBook Air, something's just wrong. The 1159€ pricetag is excessive, from my point of view.

This was an Apple attempt to raise prices on its iPhone lineup, both with X premium price and the expensive 8 (which should cost no more than a 7). I'm very proud of Apple customers and how they have said 'no' to Apple new prices policy. Keep that way!!!

On top of that, the prices of replacing the glass back are prohibitive. And this is against both new iPhones... The best choice is still the 7.

Just give me a 7 with an A11 or A12 and I'll be happy.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I still miss it, I've gotten used to not having it, but if I had my druthers, I'd want it back

17. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

18. Ribitsch macrumors member

For me it was clearly the price tag
    In Europe it‘s about 1150€, (nearly the same as a MacBook Air) :eek:
    Holding on to my 6S <3

19. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Or try to "notch" it up.

20. 827538 macrumors 65816

£999 is an absolutely insane price for a phone and a step too far. I’d pay £800 max for it.

This is why I never kept it, let’s be honest. It’s a great device, it’s just no where near £999 worth. It’s basically a Galaxy S8 for twice the price.

I just want a regular iPhone with an OLED screen.

21. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

It will be interesting to see what they do in September, if they release a cheaper version and or a X Plus.

22. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

Guess not everyone is tired of the same 4 year old design

23. 827538 macrumors 65816

You and me both, I actually bought an X to replace the 6S but sold it instead. The pricing is obscene, here in the UK it’s £999, my other half in the states is paying $999. I think I’ll replace the battery in my 6S and wait until Apple come to their senses. All I want is the OLED display.

24. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

Apple don’t drop prices they rather raise it some more