Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's Design Chief Jony Ive to Speak in Dublin With Stephen Fry This June

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's chief designer Jony Ive is set to speak at the Dalkey Book Festival in Dublin, Ireland on Saturday, June 15 at 6:00 p.m.

Ive will be joined by actor and comedian Stephen Fry for a session titled "The Object of Language and the Language of Objects."

Actor, comedian, raconteur, and author, Stephen Fry shares his wit and wisdom with Jony Ive, the man who, by designing three of the most iconic products of our age - the iPod, iPad, and iPhone- has changed your world probably more than any other single living human being.

Truly a one-off event featuring treasured polymath, Stephen Fry, and Apple design guru, Jony Ive. Two global superstars mark the tenth anniversary of the festival by sharing one stage at Dalkey!
Tickets were available for the event from the Dalkey Book Festival website for 30 euros, but have all sold out at this time.

Stephen Fry and Jony Ive know one another, and in 2015, Fry wrote a profile on Ive following the announcement of his chief design officer title. In the past, Fry has also profiled Steve Jobs, and he's long been acquainted with Apple executives.

Article Link: Apple's Design Chief Jony Ive to Speak in Dublin With Stephen Fry This June

No. 44

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2016
Long gone

Actor, comedian, raconteur, and author, Stephen Fry shares his wit and wisdom with Jony Ive, the man who, by designing three of the most iconic products of our age - the iPod, iPad, and iPhone- has changed your world probably more than any other single living human being.

I wish Jony would change the keyboard of the MacBook Pro back to something that works...

Comment

SidricTheViking

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2014
Very tempted to book the day off and head to Dalkey for this...but not a fan of Fry. Would really love to hear Ive talk about his passions, though. I’m a fan of his contributions to Apple. My iMac, iPad and iPhone (each of which I enjoy immensely!) owe so much to this man. Almost in shock that this is happening in a country and city where there’s not even a single Apple Store! Sigh....

Comment

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
"At Apple, we believe the corporation should disappear behind the executive team, leaving a persona of elegance and beauty depicted in continuous words shaped by mouths that meet often with others and share how beautiful our vision and thoughts are. These thoughts transcend the simple narrative used to describe them, enriching the lives of our customers with pleasantness. These releases to the press will continue as a new part of our core values to ensure the world is brought to an elevated level of understanding of our vision."

Comment

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Ive could be worth listening to but if he sounds like he does in those Apple adverts I’d be biting my nails...
Still be interesting to hear his take on design, and utter obsession with thinness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Stephen Fry: a stupid person's idea of a clever person.

It perhaps wouldn't be fair of me to point out that Fry has long established himself as an uncritical fan of Apple, as Jony Ive would almost certainly not have agreed to the appearance if he had not.

Just don't expect any questions about the stuff we customers are all mystified about, such as why a company that once made the best laptop keyboards now makes the worst (clinging onto my early-2015 Macbook Pro for dear life).

You can find videos on YouTube of Fry unctuously fawning over Ive. The area of Dalkey is particularly picturesque on summer evenings, so, go for a walk and be glad you haven't wasted €30 on this particular circle jerk.

Comment

Suttree

Suspended
Jul 21, 2018
I don’t know anything about how Ive works or anything about his acumen but I know I’d be a better designer than him. First I would make the iPhone and MacBook thicker and heavier with a big battery. I would get rid of FaceID. Also, get rid of the camera bump. Those would be my priority. I would add a notification LED. I would get rid of the mute switch. Useless. I would also get rid of the second camera and make one camera. I would tell the engineers to figure it out or you get fried. Simple. I just did it.

Thinness and lightness are irrelevant in a phone and MacBook. Ridiculous to keep making them thin and light. They should be thick and heavy.

Comment

Brandon916

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2018
Most overrated and biggest ego at Apple IMHO.

I see him as Pippen. Without Jordan, he can't really be as great. He needs Steve to tell him that his design suck so he can go back to trying to make it better. There's no Steve around now to tell him that. iPhone w a camera bump? Argh.. Notch, argh. pencil charged by plugging into ipad, goddam that was ugly.

Comment

LeeW

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I would say that Jony constantly travelling the world is the reason the designs have gone to crap, but then him not being there is probably improving things. He will still ensure an iron rule even when not there I suspect.

Comment

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
To match Jony's design aesthetic, the room will be tiny, impractically shaped, have no ventilation and all the chairs will be soldered in place so no one can move them.

Impracticality shaped? Phew,
I was worried for a while that only my iPhone is a shape of triangle.

Reactions: martyjmclean
Comment

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Lets see, how much would I pay to hear Jony Ive’s pompous ruminations about ‘simplicity’, ‘elegance’, and the ‘essense’ of an object.

Comment

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I just want a phone with the latest tech improvements, that is: physically smaller, thicker, headphone jack, bezels are ok if needed, 4gb ram, LCD screen is ok. I'm indifferent to face id and wireless charging.

smaller for me= width:no wider than a iphone 6 height: make it shorter if going no bezels, if not certainly not larger.

Comment

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2016
Impossible, that would be 1mm thicker.
iPhone 5S: 7.6MM thick
iPhone 6: 6.9MM
iPhone XS: 7.7MM
Your logic is Flawed
iPad 2: 8.8MM
iPad 3: 9.4MM
[doublepost=1557273180][/doublepost]
I don’t know anything about how Ive works or anything about his acumen but I know I’d be a better designer than him. First I would make the iPhone and MacBook thicker and heavier with a big battery. I would get rid of FaceID. Also, get rid of the camera bump. Those would be my priority. I would add a notification LED. I would get rid of the mute switch. Useless. I would also get rid of the second camera and make one camera. I would tell the engineers to figure it out or you get fried. Simple. I just did it.

Thinness and lightness are irrelevant in a phone and MacBook. Ridiculous to keep making them thin and light. They should be thick and heavy.
Actually, i have to disagree. I like my phone and MacBook to be light. Thickness i don’t care about, but the iPhone XR that i have is very heavy

Reactions: Classie
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.